your jump to OW?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'm new to the tarantula world but old in the tooth with snakes. I simply do not subscribe to the view that there is a beginner species and a subsequent scale of species.
Provided you have researched fully the husbandry needs, along with the potential speed and damage a species is capable of, then there is no such thing as beginner or advanced. What makes a species "advanced" is its specific husbandry and environmental needs. Provided they are catered for, then any species is simple - it just needs food! The hard part is providing its environment and as long as the keeper has fully researched that and provided what's needed, everything else is simple.
I have a mixture of old and new world spiders, having started keeping them in November. All of mine are feeding and molting. I've rehoused my O sp negros without any issues.
Ts are not pets. They are wild animals. As long as you know that, and what each species' temperament is, there is no reason why an old world should be seen as not for beginners.
I am sure this post will attract plenty of face palm, thumbs down etc etc but there we go!
Not really. Tarantulas universally are quite simple to maintain. Most species could survive in a plastic box with a few holes in the top and a water dish.

Husbandry does not equate to a species being advanced or not. As its negligible in its differences.

Venom is a multiplying factor. Speed and defensiveness is the main factor. Some genera have terrible venom, but they are generally laid back spiders. Like Poecilotheria. So they arent as high on the list as something that is both more venomous and defensive/skittish. Lile Stromatopelma or Cyriopagopus.

For someone new to spiders, a laid back new world is always best. Not necessary, but best.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
As for the first point that frankly is just stupidity.
If you buy a t but don't know if it's old or new world then frankly you shouldn't have one!
I cannot see how you can unknowingly keep an old world species. Its name is shown on the pricelist. So if someone buys a spider without knowing what it is then that is in itself idiotic.
Did you read the other responses or the original question? Several people indicate having received old world specimens as freebies, etc. There are literally hundreds of existing "should I get an ow?" / "am I ready?" type threads here, the question as to whether it's appropriate for any given keeper to have an old world specimen or not is not the subject of this conversation. At all. I shouldn't have even mentioned the difference in consequences in my reply, as it is not the subject being discussed, but I personally have a hard time letting people make ridiculously over-generalized statements like yours without calling them into question. So, OP, I'm sorry for contributing to the derailment of your thread.

Last edited:

hunterc

Arachnopeon
So, OP, I'm sorry for contributing to the derailment of your thread.
No worries, just enjoying conversation...

Did you read the other responses or the original question?
This thread was really ment for fun and chuckels. ( hence the first sentence )..but not everyone views it the same i guess..everyones got an opinion

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
I've had my welcome post edited as I listed the species I keep. Species list erased.
Wow, how to make someone feel welcome!!!!
There's actually a section of your user profile dedicated to listing the species you keep and a general prohibition against listing your collection elsewhere. I'm not finding the specific prohibition in the "the rules" post or the "acceptable material" post, so perhaps we can get a moderator to point it out. @cold blood ? Care to assist this new member in locating the reason for the edit?

(I.e. It's not like you've been singled out - you just ran afoul of a general rule to which we're all subject)

Last edited:

Paiige

Arachnobaron
My jump to OW wasn't so much accidental as it was spontaneous and unplanned - went into my LPS and was offered an S. calceatum for $10 and couldn't say no :rolleyes: I knew it wasn't the best starter OW but wasn't aware as to just how high they are on the venomous list...fortunately rehousing went well and he seems to be pretty chill.

Ents189

Arachnopeon
Accidental? No. Was I ready when I made the decision to buy my P. met sling? Probably not. I bought a tiny .5" GBB as my first tarantula, then within 2 months I went and bought a 1" P. met. Both are 4"+ now and doing great, but I had my fair share of jump scares while learning.

I went into the hobby with a mission to get all the blue tarantulas I could without any regard to OW or NW lol

Transrights

Arachnosquire
Not entirely unplanned as I was eyeing other OW species to be my first, or maybe a P. Irminia, but I was at a convention and I immediately fell in love with a P. Formosa I saw. Couldn't say no, had to get it.

At that point I felt confident enough to buy it and I now know it was the right decision. I'm absolutely in love with this genus now.

bananahead

Arachnopeon
My first OW was in triplicate - P. Metallica, P. Ornata and P. Regalis. I had been keeping T's for a while, all NW, both Terrestrial and Arboreal. Always thought Pokies were some of the most beautiful T's out there, so I ended up getting all three at once! Luckily for me, all of my Pokies were super laid back, and more skittish than anything. But they could absolutely bolt if they wanted to. After that, I was hooked.

Now, due to lack of time and space, I've whittled my collection down to just my few favorite females and I've sold the Pokies and my other OW's to new keepers.

RowanFG

Arachnopeon
And therein lies the issue.
Yes, they are more dangerous in terms of a bite. Provided you as a keeper.are awake to that, then there is no issue.
I appreciate my point of view is very different to that of the tarantula hobby but that is no reason to say i am wrong.
If you buy a t but don't know if it's old or new world then frankly you shouldn't have one!
I cannot see how you can unknowingly keep an old world species. Its name is shown on the pricelist. So if someone buys a spider without knowing what it is then that is in itself idiotic.
So the issue is magnitude?
Then hows that different from a new snake keeper buying a corn snake or a mangrove snake. Honestly, having come to this hobby all I am seeing is a real elitist attitude! The herp hobby was the same for years. But ultimately if you know what you are getting, and research how to work with that animal, why should one be different to another??
You're the most elitist person in this thread to be honest. If you're having issues with people across multiple hobbies maybe the problem personality is your own?

RS4guy

Arachnosquire
I bought 5 m. balfouri 3/4" slings (sacmates) for a communal setup, my first OW experience.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
And therein lies the issue.
Yes, they are more dangerous in terms of a bite. Provided you as a keeper.are awake to that, then there is no issue.
I appreciate my point of view is very different to that of the tarantula hobby but that is no reason to say i am wrong.
So the issue is magnitude?
Then hows that different from a new snake keeper buying a corn snake or a mangrove snake. Honestly, having come to this hobby all I am seeing is a real elitist attitude! The herp hobby was the same for years. But ultimately if you know what you are getting, and research how to work with that animal, why should one be different to another??
Your Comparison is off when you compare Corn Snakes and Mangrove Snakes and call them equivalent to the current discussion...that comparison does not pertain, and is laughable.

A better comparison would be comparing a Garter Snake and a Cobra...

The Garter Snake is a rear fanged snake and can deliver a significant bite to a digit, at larger sizes. Though overall the Garter Snake is a fairly easy snake to keep as a pet. This would compare nicely to an entry level NW Tarantula species, for our discussion.

The Cobra would be a solid comparison to an OW species; and the detriments of a mistake are extreme...more extreme than even any tarantula species.

Your Herp Background is awesome...for Herps; so Congratulations on That.

Last edited: