Your Hyper Agressive T's

Postmalone35

Arachnosquire
Years ago I had a massive blondie that struck and broke the glass on its enclosure. A humbling moment for me....

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yup! I'm not sure if I'm tagging the right guy here, but I think it was @Storm76 ?
Was it you with the (former) E.sp Red turning demonic?
The little guy behaved like a P.murinus. :rofl:
Nope! Never had a demonic one. But one of my triplets was a bit...iffy giving threat postures suddenly. I still have them ;)

Need to update my pics hmm.

Also, hey Andrea! :D

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I had a somewhat skittish, though actually quite calm P. murinus that never even gave me a threat pose until he molted into a MM. He went through a phase after that where I would almost consider him aggressive. He would actively lunge towards any disturbances, even if I just walked by his enclosure. Now, however, his condition has been steadily deteriorating and he almost never comes out of his burrow, definitely preferring to hide. The drastic behavioral change after he molted was very interesting to me.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Nope! Never had a demonic one. But one of my triplets was a bit...iffy giving threat postures suddenly. I still have them ;)

Need to update my pics hmm.

Also, hey Andrea! :D
Hi! Long time no see!
Wow, the little guy is still alive? That's impressive!

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
I had a somewhat skittish, though actually quite calm P. murinus that never even gave me a threat pose until he molted into a MM. He went through a phase after that where I would almost consider him aggressive. He would actively lunge towards any disturbances, even if I just walked by his enclosure. Now, however, his condition has been steadily deteriorating and he almost never comes out of his burrow, definitely preferring to hide. The drastic behavioral change after he molted was very interesting to me.
Actually quite a common occurrence.

I would like to read some scientific literature on exactly why that is though. I imagine there are a great deal of hormonal changes that go on when spiders reach full maturity which I would not be surprised to discover is part of the sudden behavioral change.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +

I would like to read some scientific literature on exactly why that is though. I imagine there are a great deal of hormonal changes that go on when spiders reach full maturity which I would not be surprised to discover is part of the sudden behavioral change.
Interesting theory, but I think it'll remain just a theory for a very long time. It's hard enough finding toxicology data on a lot of our common species and venom is relatively easy to harvest as opposed to hemolymph.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince

It wouldn't surprise me if this was true....it would be really interesting if we could somehow actually verify it!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi! Long time no see!
Wow, the little guy is still alive? That's impressive!
Those 3 girls are now around ~2-2.5" - still not fully grown hence. And it's been some years as you know! They're doing well though and will need to be rehoused soon, too. Funny enough, they all have different personalities, too.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Those 3 girls are now around ~2-2.5" - still not fully grown hence. And it's been some years as you know! They're doing well though and will need to be rehoused soon, too. Funny enough, they all have different personalities, too.
Oh, they're all girls! I thought the feisty one was a little guy, it's why I was surprised he was still alive. Funny how they each have their own temperament despite being the same species!

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Ok, I’m a few days late, but I’m just going off memory here. @Andrea82 I think I know who you may be referring to when mentioning the defensive H. chilensis, but the name doesn’t pop up when I go to tag. I think the name began with an R.

jay444

Arachnosquire
My dolichothele diamantinensis is crazy. She's barely rocking an inch in DLS and already giving me threat pose flips.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Ok, I’m a few days late, but I’m just going off memory here. @Andrea82 I think I know who you may be referring to when mentioning the defensive H. chilensis, but the name doesn’t pop up when I go to tag. I think the name began with an R.
Lol, you need to read the thread before replying :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
We've already established that it was Storm76, see above posts ;)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My dolichothele diamantinensis is crazy. She's barely rocking an inch in DLS and already giving me threat pose flips and stridulation.
...except that sounds like imagination considering they aren't capable of stridulation.

To quote Dr. Bertani: [...] Claw tufts present; STC without teeth. Tarsi I-IV scopulate, IV with sparse row of setae; metatarsus I scopulate along a third of segment length, II 4/5 of its length, III 3/5 and IV 2/5 of their lengths. Femur IV without retrolateral scopula. Stridulatory setae absent. Length of legs and palp in Table 1. [..]

Taken from the publication by Rogério Bertani, Thiago dos Santos, Alexandre Ferreira Righi: A new species of Oligoxystre Vellard 1924 (Araneae, Theraphosidae) from Brazil. ZooKeys 5: 41-51, 2009. CLICK FOR PAPER (page 46)

jay444

Arachnosquire
...except that sounds like imagination considering they aren't capable of stridulation.

To quote Dr. Bertani: [...] Claw tufts present; STC without teeth. Tarsi I-IV scopulate, IV with sparse row of setae; metatarsus I scopulate along a third of segment length, II 4/5 of its length, III 3/5 and IV 2/5 of their lengths. Femur IV without retrolateral scopula. Stridulatory setae absent. Length of legs and palp in Table 1. [..]

Taken from the publication by Rogério Bertani, Thiago dos Santos, Alexandre Ferreira Righi: A new species of Oligoxystre Vellard 1924 (Araneae, Theraphosidae) from Brazil. ZooKeys 5: 41-51, 2009. CLICK FOR PAPER (page 46)
I definitely misused the term, my bad! I meant to say that she way rubbing her fangs together. Thanks for the clarification
:)

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Lol, you need to read the thread before replying :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
We've already established that it was Storm76, see above posts ;)
Whoops, (I don’t pay attention when I’m half asleep), there is (was) another one though.

SquidStina

Arachnopeon
1) My D.diamantinensis gets REAL grumpy if you offer her food she doesn't want (premolt, full, or sometimes she just hates worms), or if you do any enclosure maintenance around her web burrow entrance. Like, she gets unreasonably mad about it. She'll bite the feeder, then launch it out of her house while throwing up the most rage filled threat posture. Tongs near the entrance of her web house get slapped repeatedly with her pretty little feet.

2) My P.pulcher is also prone to threat posing, but she's generally a little sweetie pie and is very calm.

And the runner up is my Hapalopus sp.Colombia, who once vigorously kicked hairs at me during a rehouse, which was definitely very scary and very intimidating coming from a spider that was smaller than a grain of rice.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Whoops, (I don’t pay attention when I’m half asleep), there is (was) another one though.
I think Chris had one that was a bit nuts. Though I might mix that up, too. *shrugs* It's been a long time hehe :)