Your Hyper Agressive T's

Conor10

Arachnoknight
My funnel web, even worse than a OBT. Sadly the nice animal passed away recently😢

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
only my A genic is highly (food) aggressive she has caught me off guard a time or two and latched on running up the tongs to my fingers while trying to drop her prey in front of her :rofl:my fault each time for misjudging the distance she will lunge to grab prey

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I don’t keep old worlds so naturally I don’t have this problem a whole lot. But the only one who has ever threat postured me is my Typhochlaena seladonia. I have multiple and they’ll all do it. But 2 in particular are always throwing up threat postures if out of their holes. They are sassy for now small they are. I even had one strike but it hit my nail and didn’t do any damage.
@The Spider House your female does this too, no?

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
"This thing (C. Fimbriatus) is only about 2", but is a total psycho. "

Thing?

Psycho C. fimbriatus? You're keeping "this thing" wrong. Do your homework. There's no exception.
Lol I am keeping it just fine. Have done all my research. Even had some of the more senior people on these forums approve of its enclosure. This one's just an angry little spider.

Not sorry that you don't like my colloquialism.

By definition it is a thing 🤷‍♂️.

I had a T. Vagans that wouldn't mind sinking fangs into you if it had a chance, maybe because it ran out of hair to flick, they guy was a mad man I tell ya.
I have heard a lot of anecdotal accounts of ornery T. Vagans. Think it's one of those begginer T's that can be a 50/50 when it comes to temperament.

Last edited:

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I have heard a lot of anecdotal accounts of ornery T. Vagans. Think it's one of those begginer T's that can be a 50/50 when it comes to temperament.
Those odds are garbage.
I have four obt's and only one is a nightmare. Lol
They're scaredy cats.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Those odds are garbage.
I have four obt's and only one is a nightmare. Lol
They're scaredy cats.
I am not literally saying 50% of T. Vagans will be nasty, but it seems like there are a disproportionately higher amount of them then would be assumed for what's seen as a "begginer" T.

Was trying to express it was rather random, should have chose my words better.

Last edited:

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I am not literally saying 50% of T. Vagans will be nasty, but it seems like their are a disproportionately higher amount of them then would be assumed for what's seen as a "begginer" T. Was trying to express it was rather random, should have chose my words better.
I wouldn't disagree with that. They can be pretty fiesty.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Yes I am being hyperbolic with the title.

I know all T's are being defensive as it is us who are creating their habitat and thus us who are invading it when we do maintenance, feed, and water and they are only defending that habitat, but do you have any T's that seem out right aggressive or vicious by human standards?

I have kept a lot of T's and all of them even the ones who have been noted to be more relatively defensive (P. Cambridgei, H. Gigas, C. Darlingi, P. Striata, ect.) have given me no real problems.

The only ones who have actively tried to strike me or my tongs while working are my C. Darlingi ONCE and actually got a fang in me when I was being careless and my most recent aquisition a Chilobrachys Fimbriatus.

This thing (C. Fimbriatus) is only about 2", but is a total psycho. The only T I have ever owned that will actively rush to the top of its burrow and rush around looking for things to strike when I disturb it's enclosure. I actually have to tap the top of its container and rock it around for a while until it burns it's energy out and goes back to it's hole before I even try to open its container. It's quite amusing and impressive and I have never seen this kind of behavior in any of my other T's before.

Anyone else have a berserk T that displays unusual levels of defensiveness boarding on aggression? Any fun fiesty stories?
Oh this is easy....my T. albopilosus when it was 3 inches.

However I will add that it was due to flashlight abuse, if that counts.🙄

Only T I have that came out of it's burrow charging at me into full threat posture. This became a regular occurrence.

One time it just came out of it's burrow, turn sideways and reared all the way back exposing it's fangs.

On the next molt it was the most docile T. Then it molted again and it's unpredictable atm. It's highly territorial I found that out but no threat pose yet.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Oh this is easy....my T. albopilosus when it was 3 inches.

However I will add that it was due to flashlight abuse, if that counts.🙄

Only T I have that came out of it's burrow charging at me into full threat posture. This became a regular occurrence.

One time it just came out of it's burrow, turn sideways and reared all the way back exposing it's fangs.

On the next molt it was the most docile T. Then it molted again and it's unpredictable atm. It's highly territorial I found that out but no threat pose yet.
That's crazy. Also going to have to elaborate more on what exactly "flashlight abuse" is. Lol

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
That's crazy. Also going to have to elaborate more on what exactly "flashlight abuse" is. Lol
Well I don't think it's really abuse...or maybe it is not sure. Every night I come home from work I check on my T's with a flashlight. I'm always looking to make sure everything is ok.

However I do use the flashlight alot when I'm inspecting during the day before work. The ceiling light is not enough to see inside their enclosures.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Well I don't think it's really abuse...or maybe it is not sure. Every night I come home from work I check on my T's with a flashlight. I'm always looking to make sure everything is ok.

However I do use the flashlight alot when I'm inspecting during the day before work. The ceiling light is not enough to see inside their enclosures.
Meh idk I do the same thing at least once a night. My T's actually never seem to even notice the flashlight, but mine is pretty weak.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Oh yeah! I think I saw that one too. Back then I did not know what Homoeomma chilensis is, now I get that, it was the real deal of it!
It was Euathlus sp. Red at the time and we were all in awe of this monster :rofl:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
My 2” iHeringi charged at me the other night when I pulled the water dish out to dump the sub it insists on filling it with. I think it just triggered it’s web and not as much a defensive charge, but made me pucker though. It always looks like it is ready to kick hairs anytime I‘m doing maintenance.

As for my ow, they are pretty tame...for now.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
My spiders are all super chill. My Aphonopelma gabeli runs out of her hide and up the graded substrate when I take the lid of her enclosure off, but she’s not defensive, and goes back in if I fill the water dish and don’t offer her food. She’s the neighborhood busybody and just wants to know what’s going on.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
My spiders are all super chill. My Aphonopelma gabeli runs out of her hide and up the graded substrate when I take the lid of her enclosure off, but she’s not defensive, and goes back in if I fill the water dish and don’t offer her food. She’s the neighborhood busybody and just wants to know what’s going on.
You just described my dog 😂

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
It was Euathlus sp. Red at the time and we were all in awe of this monster :rofl:
Wait... For real? I thought these rare little guys were supposed to be the cute little puppies of T's?

Sounds like these Aphonopelma have a lot of personality. Hear so many stories about A. Gabeli on these forums. Some good, some bad, all interesting.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Wait... For real? I thought these rare little guys were supposed to be the cute little puppies of T's?
Yup! I'm not sure if I'm tagging the right guy here, but I think it was @Storm76 ?
Was it you with the (former) E.sp Red turning demonic?
The little guy behaved like a P.murinus. :rofl:

Jess S

Arachnobaron
To be fair, quite a few of my NW's can be quick with a threat pose and will rush towards the side of the lid being opened. The worst for that atm is the LP, the N chromatus and the baby stirmi. But I also have a G pulchripes that can be a right ass.
But once they are out of their territory they, usually, calm right down.

Talking about the stirmi, it made the worst, most revolting mess of a full waterdish. It pooped in it, and how something so small can do such a big 💩, is beyond me. The dish looked like it was to the brim full of milk, uck. Sorry but that's how it looked. I picked it up with the tongs, watching the stirmi who was acting skittish to the extent that I thought it might run out altogether. Then the blasted thing ran at the tongs, causing me to tip half of the stinking contents over the substrate!

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
To be fair, quite a few of my NW's can be quick with a threat pose and will rush towards the side of the lid being opened. The worst for that atm is the LP, the N chromatus and the baby stirmi. But I also have a G pulchripes that can be a right ass.
But once they are out of their territory they, usually, calm right down.

Talking about the stirmi, it made the worst, most revolting mess of a full waterdish. It pooped in it, and how something so small can do such a big 💩, is beyond me. The dish looked like it was to the brim full of milk, uck. Sorry but that's how it looked. I picked it up with the tongs, watching the stirmi who was acting skittish to the extent that I thought it might run out altogether. Then the blasted thing ran at the tongs, causing me to tip half of the stinking contents over the substrate!
Well if you have ever tried to change a baby it normally goes this way... Except without the venom... hopefully lol