Your Hyper Agressive T's

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Yes I am being hyperbolic with the title.

I know all T's are being defensive as it is us who are creating their habitat and thus us who are invading it when we do maintenance, feed, and water and they are only defending that habitat, but do you have any T's that seem out right aggressive or vicious by human standards?

I have kept a lot of T's and all of them even the ones who have been noted to be more relatively defensive (P. Cambridgei, H. Gigas, C. Darlingi, P. Striata, ect.) have given me no real problems.

The only ones who have actively tried to strike me or my tongs while working are my C. Darlingi ONCE and actually got a fang in me when I was being careless and my most recent aquisition a Chilobrachys Fimbriatus.

This thing (C. Fimbriatus) is only about 2", but is a total psycho. The only T I have ever owned that will actively rush to the top of its burrow and rush around looking for things to strike when I disturb it's enclosure. I actually have to tap the top of its container and rock it around for a while until it burns it's energy out and goes back to it's hole before I even try to open its container. It's quite amusing and impressive and I have never seen this kind of behavior in any of my other T's before.

Anyone else have a berserk T that displays unusual levels of defensiveness boarding on aggression? Any fun fiesty stories?

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I have an adult Nhandu Chromatus buck. He is extremely restless (as usual at this stage) but he seems completely fearless and even runs against the window if there is a disturbance. He basically attacks, regardless of the size of his counterpart. Fortunately, a mating is due in about 4 weeks, so that he can hopefully spend the last few months a little more calmly ...

Last edited:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Homoeomma chilensis.

Nah, I am just kidding. :troll:

It’s got to be Encyocratella olivacea in my case.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No

@BoyFromLA

But someone here had a H. chilensis that was hyper defensive- venom dripping from fangs regularly- saw the pic. There are always exceptions.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My C.sanderi was a total psycho already at around 4th instar. Actively chasing tongs and threatposture galore towards feeders.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Female P. pulcher. I swear she's been in a threat pose since I picked her up at a show a year or two back lol. Always chooses to face the threat and stand her ground as opposed to retreating to her hide.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
I don’t keep old worlds so naturally I don’t have this problem a whole lot. But the only one who has ever threat postured me is my Typhochlaena seladonia. I have multiple and they’ll all do it. But 2 in particular are always throwing up threat postures if out of their holes. They are sassy for now small they are. I even had one strike but it hit my nail and didn’t do any damage.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I don’t keep old worlds so naturally I don’t have this problem a whole lot. But the only one who has ever threat postured me is my Typhochlaena seladonia. I have multiple and they’ll all do it. But 2 in particular are always throwing up threat postures if out of their holes. They are sassy for now small they are. I even had one strike but it hit my nail and didn’t do any damage.
I've been out of touch with the hobby for a while... But aren't T.seladonia those cute little arboreal trapdoors? They have such a temperament? That's pretty hilarious actually :rofl:

Female P. pulcher. I swear she's been in a threat pose since I picked her up at a show a year or two back lol. Always chooses to face the threat and stand her ground as opposed to retreating to her hide.
I had one like that too. And she'd change temperament between moults like Jekyll and Hyde :rofl:

Marlana

Arachnoknight
I've been out of touch with the hobby for a while... But aren't T.seladonia those cute little arboreal trapdoors? They have such a temperament? That's pretty hilarious actually :rofl:
Yes that’s them! Dwarf arboreal trapdoor tarantula. They are still slings so maybe they’ll get less sassy. But so far they are super sassy, it’s hilarious and cute!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Both of my P. sazimai. They threat pose everything, including prey items, which is kind of hilarious.

KenNet

Arachnosquire
"This thing (C. Fimbriatus) is only about 2", but is a total psycho. "

Thing?

Psycho C. fimbriatus? You're keeping "this thing" wrong. Do your homework. There's no exception.

Attachments

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I had a T. Vagans that wouldn't mind sinking fangs into you if it had a chance, maybe because it ran out of hair to flick, they guy was a mad man I tell ya.

RevS

Arachnopeon
My first (and so far only) OW - H. pulchripes.
Recently I've been watching a lot of videos on the species and... Well... I get it why people say they are quite docile for OWs.
Mine isn't. Sometimes (especially before/after molting) I get threat poses the moment I approach the enclosure. It's acting like an OBT.

Of my NWs the only one that ever gave me a threat pose is my Phormictopus Sp. "green (gold carapace)" but it's temperament is changing with each molt to a ridiculous degree.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
But someone here had a H. chilensis that was hyper defensive- venom dripping from fangs regularly- saw the pic. There are always exceptions.
Oh yeah! I think I saw that one too. Back then I did not know what Homoeomma chilensis is, now I get that, it was the real deal of it!