Your holy grail

psychofox

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've never really been interested in A. pterygocercus, but the thought that I've always had when reading about the difficulties keeping them, is how many specimens have actually been in the hobby? Are we basing this entire concept of an extremely difficult-to-keep species on the experiences made from a single male specimen, or have there been others keeping them?

Buthid males tend to have a quite short life span, and if the only experiences known are made from male specimen(s), it may simply be a case of a natural death. Such coincidenses might also be the cause of the reputation of this species even with a slightly bigger group of specimens. I.e. a group of 10 adult animals being brought into the hobby at one point, may well be a group of old or otherwise weak individuals. The next time some specimens find their way into the hobby, there may be no problems at all.

My point with this rambling is that if the reputation of this species is based on experiences with only a handful specimens, they may not be accurate when looking at the species as a whole.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with that Psycho. I'm wondering how many terrariums had softer dune type sand, how many hard packed, how many with scrapes, but particularly how deep of substrate, what temps....

I guess what I'm saying here is: who has links to past experiences that we are basing this on. :confused: I haven't looked to hard for it, but I don't have time right now, sorry. :D

Also, I want to add to my list maybe, that black one from what? Borneo? With the bright red fingers. Anyone remember that pic? I always loose it. :D But if that's not photoshopped for color, that one goes on the list too. And that one from mexico, that is the smallest, that's pretty cool.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with that Psycho. I'm wondering how many terrariums had softer dune type sand, how many hard packed, how many with scrapes, but particularly how deep of substrate, what temps....

I guess what I'm saying here is: who has links to past experiences that we are basing this on. :confused: I haven't looked to hard for it, but I don't have time right now, sorry. :D

Also, I want to add to my list maybe, that black one from what? Borneo? With the bright red fingers. Anyone remember that pic? I always loose it. :D But if that's not photoshopped for color, that one goes on the list too. And that one from mexico, that is the smallest, that's pretty cool.
That was a black Lychas or Isometrus species....

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just bought a breeding pair of one of my holy Grails, H. Madraspatensis and I can't wait to see them I'll post pics as soon as they arrive. I hope to get a breeding pair of another holy grail H. Mysorensis soon, they didn't come cheap, but if you really want a scorp that is extremely hard to find your going to end up spending some big dollars.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Right now, mine is probably Tityus fasciolatus. Out of the hobby, probably Rhopalurus agamemnon, those are really cool in appearance!

Androctonus79

Arachnopeon
I had always wanted H. arizonensis but settled with P. imperator because they were the easiest to find at the local pet shops. I kept them exclusively for a few years breeding and raising young. Then I got my H. arizonensis and ended up with S. maurus as well because it was mis-labeled as a "bark scorpion!"
After several more years of research and a few random different scorpions aquired I wanted a fat-tail scorpion. I wanted A. australis and it took a while but I found one online! Currently I am working on breeding that A. australis, which turned out to be a female, now that I acquired another which is of of course a male! The latest Holy Grail was L. quinquestriatus and A. bicolor both of which I acquired along with the A. australis male!
I am never truly satisfied until I can breed a new species! One of my L. quinquestriatus is looking like a very gravid female and the bicolor are sub-adults so we shall see in time!

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just had to update my holy grails:rolleyes:

1.Still P.trans
2. Parabuthus mosambicensis
3.Lychas scutilus
4.Lychas mucronatus
5.Androctonus bicolor(6 on the way!:D)

They're in the order that I'd like them too!I REALLY want a pair of P.trans *hint hint hint*

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I guess right now my Holy grail would be a mature female H. Swammerdami ready for breeding, apparently I have two males:wall: I guess this explains why they haven't mated:wall::wall:

Last edited:

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine have kind of changed:rolleyes::

Tityus ocelote
Tityus fasciolatus
Tityus argentinus
Isometrus brachycentrus
Grosphus madagascariensis
Lychas burdoi
Lychas obsti
Rhopalurus laticauda
Parabuthus villosus (oranje morph)
Pseudouroctonus spp. (any)

I know that it is alot. In fact, I'm sure there are more.:D

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lychas scutilus
Rhopalurus pintoi, R princeps
Chaerilus pictus
Apisthobuthus pterygocerus

The list goes on and on :}

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i love my emperors and my c.sculpts are proving to be quite entertaining.
i dont intend on getting anymore scorps as i want to start on tarantulas and some centipedes.buuuut i have fell in love with the androctonus australis puppy dog eyes,the beastiness of the parabuthus transvaalicus,and the look of the centruroides gracilis.soooo i cant say i wont.also i love the stalking look of the lqs when in hunt mode but they scare the poop out of me.

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i love my emperors and my c.sculpts are proving to be quite entertaining.
i dont intend on getting anymore scorps as i want to start on tarantulas and some centipedes.buuuut i have fell in love with the androctonus australis puppy dog eyes,the beastiness of the parabuthus transvaalicus,and the look of the centruroides gracilis.soooo i cant say i wont.also i love the stalking look of the lqs when in hunt mode but they scare the poop out of me.
LOL... LQs aren't that bad as long as you take precaution and respect their space (never try to pick them up with your hands), they do sting their prey when feeding which looks really cool.

leiurusSaleen

Arachnopeon
Come on shinning those L.Q's got puppy dog eyes too.
I just wanna kiss them but the wife says if I free handle anything again she'll leave me nevermind kiss a Deathstalker but maybe when she'e not around I'll light a few candles put on some music and see what happens LOL :)

My Holy Grail:
Leiurus jordanensis
Leiurus savanicola
Tityus serralatus
Tityus magnimanus

Last edited:

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Come on shinning those L.Q's got puppy dog eyes too.
I just wanna kiss them but the wife says if I free handle anything again she'll leave me nevermind kiss a Deathstalker but maybe when she'e not around I'll light a few candles put on some music and see what happens LOL :)
hahaha
lq would skeet all over you!!