Your funniest spider moments!

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The funny things our spiders do!

Once my G.rosea's large glass tank had fungus gnats in it..so I put her in a smaller little cage for the meantime... I had no top for it so I folded up a clean sheet and covered it {this was very temporary} I moved the cage about 3 or 4 inches apart from it over my Usambara's cage. I come back an hour or 2 later and find it missing..I was freaked!!!!! I looked everywhere! Finally I decided to look under it's burrow, there it is all snuggled up..lmao!!!! The weird thing is.. the cage was a few inches away and a few inches below it's tank.. so it really had to stretch to get back in it's cage. it cracked me up! She is a smart lil' fellow.. she wanted her cage badly..hehehe

One time I went to get crickets for my spiders... I went to put a cricket in the Usambara's cage.. She jumped out of her paper roll and grabbed it..lmao!!!! She was trying to bite me I figured and got the cricket in her fangs... she decided to eat it anyway. lol

A while after I got my p.murinus.. this one time I went into her cage just to see how she was.. I scooted her lil' burrow.. and she runs up my arm..hangs on my shirt for a while.. I startled her and she ran into my hair... and I look and she starts making a web retreat in my hair as if it were a burrow..It was so cute!! lol..hiding from me in my hair.

How about you??!

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi,
How 'bout this? I just got home from work, and was anxiously unpacking part of a shipment of babies from Joy. I wear a long sleeved shirt at work, and can't stand it anyways, so I rolled the sleeves up, just above my elbows. I have VERY BRIGHT tattooed armbands, right below my elbows.
I was unpacking one particularily feisty and hyper sling, when, all of a sudden, it decided to make a break for it. Luckily, I was doing the unpacking in my portable t tank, a 30 some gallon rubbermaid tub.
It bolted all over my arm, with me trying to gently catch it. All of a sudden, ZOOOOOMM! Right up my arm. I thought all was lost, as there are folds of clothing (my sleeves), very thick curly hair, and deep shag carpet, beyond.
I mean, this thing was burning rubber! So, here I am, trying to catch it. It races up my arm, when all of a sudden, it comes to a screeching halt. It stopped just outside my armband..*lmao* It was all the pause I needed, I scooped it up..
Peace,
Gillian
btw, when mosquitos land on my arm, in summer? They won't sting any of my tattoos

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i have 2 funny stories. #1: i awoke in the morning for work., i went in the t-room to do my daily cleaning of emasticated crix. i look over and the door to my 7" female H. maculata's kritter keeper (turned on side in typical aboreal fashion) was wide open! i looked around a bit and finally saw 2 ghostly legs sticking out behind my H. lividums enclosure. carefully moved the tank, moved in with a salad container, but she was to quick and ran to the ceiling. by now me and the gf were late for work, so i locked up the t room and left. come home at 5 pm. searching for the rogue t, i find it behind my T.blondi's enclosure. i shue her out by spraying her with water, then put the kk over top of her. i then slide a piece of construction paper under her, and pull slowly, coaxing her onto the plastic, lid on bug caught. this was christmas eve by the way.
#2: whenever i mist my H. lividums enclosure, she moves to the entance of her burrow with a ball of web and dirt, kind of a makeshift umbrella. once im done misting, she removes it. unbelievable but true.

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those are hilarious..lmao!!! That is very cute that you haplo does that..heheh

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've already told you about the funniest thing any of my Ts did, but since that was a while ago, I will tell you again.

About a month after I got my T. blondi, I had (accidentally) fattened it up to an unbelievable size. That didn't quite seem right that it was so big, but I wasn't really concerned until one day when I fed it a cricket. The tarantula immediately lunged at the cricket, and fell on its back.

Now, the whole thing happened too fast for me to see, so don't ask how an animal with 8 legs can lose its balance. But one moment it was on its feet, the next it was on its back. It waved its legs around, (apparently) trying to get up. It took about five second (at least) before it was able to right itself.

Now, I admit that five seconds isn't a long time, but a tarantula should sure as hell be able to turn over in less time than that. The fat bastard. :mad:

Anyway, I don't really know why my tarantula fell over, but it sure seemed like it lost its balance. Just to be on the safe side, though, I reduced the frequency of its feedings. And such an incident never happened again. While it was at first a little bit worrying, I have to admit that I laughed my ass off.

Oh, you don't think that's funny? Well, you just had to have been there.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Usambara once darted out of her burrow and snatched a roach straight out of my fingers. It all happened so fast that I stood there for a few minutes dumbfounded while she sat on her driftwood slab munching away. Missed my fingertips by just a millimeter or so in any direction.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
My funniest experience was mating C. crawshayi. I had two males and one mature female. I put male #1 into the female's tank, and he went over to the corner farthest from her burrow and hunkered down. I waited nearly 30 minutes and he didn't move at all. So I decided to put #2 male in. Putting in 2 males at once is a technique Darrin suggested to me, and I'd had good success with it up to this point. Having a little competition seems to galvanize even reluctant males into action.

#2 male didn't show the same reluctance as #1 but headed straight for the female's burrow and disappeared inside. About fine minutes later he emerged, walking backward and drumming frantically while the female followed him. They did a little of the usual leg thrashing, and he got her into position--not hooked up, per se, as this species doesn't have tibial hooks, but its equivalent.

At this point #1 male suddenly sprang to life and came strolling over to join the fun. He approached the female from the rear and started drumming on her BACK side.

The female was, not surprisingly, startled by the development. She backed up hastily, disengaging #2 male. Both males started drumming frantically and moved forward to search for her. At this point they came into contact with each other, and in the confusion apparently took the other for the female, because they began trying to mate with EACH OTHER. It was #2 male who first realized the mistake. He went into immediate reverse, with "Whoa! I'm not that kind of guy!" written all over him.

At this point I was rolling on the floor laughing hysterically. #1 male had also realized his mistake about now. Both he and #2 began to search for the female, who was standing to one side watching them both with what one can only assume was bewilderment and disgust. They both touched her front legs about the same time and began drumming frantically. #2 suceeded in "hooking up" with her, at which point #1 went around to the back side and tried to initiate proceedings that way. The female, obviously deciding enough was enough, broke away from both males and began to move toward her burrow. #1 male ran after her and bestowed a final, enthusiastic smack on her backside that sent her leaping into her burrow with an audible "thump!"

In conclusion, I would state that although using 2 males at once can be a viable mating technique, I wouldn't recommend it with this species! I wish so much I had gotten this episode on video!

Joy

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That was the funniest thing I have ever heard!!!!! =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D

rofllmao!!!!!!!!!!

That was great one Joy!!

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by galeogirl
My Usambara once darted out of her burrow and snatched a roach straight out of my fingers. It all happened so fast that I stood there for a few minutes dumbfounded while she sat on her driftwood slab munching away. Missed my fingertips by just a millimeter or so in any direction.

lmao!! I guess we are not alone ;D =D =D

Cowshark

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pity there's no video, Joy. Hot spider threesome action! You could sell it on Ebay!=D