Your first taranula

Cecelias lair

Arachnosquire
While I've been pondering which species to choose as my first tarantula, the more I put thought into it, the harder the decision has become. It made me wonder how other people made their decision.

So there's a few questions I'm very intrigued to know from people on here:

What is/was your first taranula?

How and why did you make that decision?

Would you recommend it as someone else's first?

I'll be looking forward to your answers 😁

pongdict

Arachnosquire
My first was a rose hair G. porteri, back in early 2000s. It was really an easy decision for me then since it was one of the most available and cheapest beginner T in my area then. My rosie was pretty chill, never threat posed or kicked hairs at me. And I was very new to keeping then and made a lot of mistakes. I bought 2 slings then, one died from ants :sad: and the other I was able to raise to adulthood. Based on my experience, would definitely recommend it as beginner friendly. At present, I am liking the G pulchra and pulchripes more among the Grammostolas.

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire
My first is a T. vagans. I wanted a new world terrestrial to start with, a little less docile than your average Brachypelma and that's what lead me to this species. I also loved the velvet black body and red abdomen. I would definitely recommend it for others. Mine is/was a decently fast grower, pretty calm temperament despite being a little skittish, and is a voracious eater. Overall I would say it's perfect for a first T (from my experience at least).

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
An adult female g. porteri - How and why? I was young and stupid and thought "why not?" and she was being sold to me for $50 with an enclosure. Definitely learned a few lessons, had my butt humbled a few times, but she's my absolute favorite, the OG of my collection.

No, I wouldn't recommend them for beginner's, they're total savages. Large fangs, nasty hairs, psycho spiders, man ;)

pongdict

Arachnosquire
An adult female g. porteri - How and why? I was young and stupid and thought "why not?" and she was being sold to me for $50 with an enclosure. Definitely learned a few lessons, had my butt humbled a few times, but she's my absolute favorite, the OG of my collection.

No, I wouldn't recommend them for beginner's, they're total savages. Large fangs, nasty hairs, psycho spiders, man ;)
I keep hearing people talking about psycho rosies, mine was pretty chill. Guess I am one of the lucky ones or you are one of the unlucky ones. 😁

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
I keep hearing people talking about psycho rosies, mine was pretty chill. Guess I am one of the lucky ones or you are one of the unlucky ones. 😁
HA I jest. She's a sweetheart, the gentlest t I have, and I definitely recommend them (but if I can deter enough people from getting them, maybe I can find another female as amazing as her for not an arm and a leg). People talk about not liking "brown spiders", but I think the brown ones are stunning! For the porteris (and roseas) I mean that shimmering rose and gold glitter covered carapace and abdomen? Gorgeous! I think they're an understated, but not underrated, classic.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
You both keep the lamest tarantula in the world, i would argue you both are unlucky. 😁

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
You both keep the lamest tarantula in the world, i would argue you both are unlucky. 😁
I was torn between disagreeing with this or laugh reacting, but I'll be nice today lol Lame is a relative term. Having an anthromophically "sweet" disposition for a tarantula, I would argue, is just a refreshing reprieve from the chaos and psychopathy that 85% of my other t's regularly exhibit. "Oh the cambridgei bolted out of enclosure during feeding today? I'm so sorry, come, bask in my zen," Malibu says sympathetically.

I will embrace my "basic beachiness" and love loving my lame tarantula :cool:

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I was torn between disagreeing with this or laugh reacting, but I'll be nice today lol Lame is a relative term. Having an anthromophically "sweet" disposition for a tarantula, I would argue, is just a refreshing reprieve from the chaos and psychopathy that 85% of my other t's regularly exhibit. "Oh the cambridgei bolted out of enclosure during feeding today? I'm so sorry, come, bask in my zen," Malibu says sympathetically.

I will embrace my "basic beachiness" and love loving my lame tarantula :cool:
I would just laugh as well. I have my reasons for this. In elementary school my best friend had a playstation and had twisted metal and the very first resident evil video game. I would spend an hour or so there before going home after school almost every day. His older sister kept a G.rosea. that piece of crap never moved, never ate never did anything but take up space. Worst tarantula to keep in my opinion and experience

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
My first was an Aphonopelma chalcodes back in the late 80s/early 90s.
I used ro breed tropical fish and supplied a local pet shop (spent most of my time in that pet shop ha ha)
One day the owner, God rest his soul, said to me "look at these exotics I have'....basically 2 tarantulas, B hamorii and A chalcodes in one of his 2ft fish tanks, and a polystyrene roof tile to separate.
They look interesting I thought. Went back the next day and I bet you can all guess what happened! A hole in the tile and one rather happy looking A chalcodes chomping on the B hamorii.
Well that was it. I was hooked and have been keeping Ts ever since. Currently have 230.

I would recommend A chalcodes and B hamorii as a starter T but obviously with better housing than I have described!

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. porteri 2011. Purchased from Petco before I knew better.

magouilles

Arachnoknight
T.albo and I highly recommend it to any new keepers. They eat pretty well (if you don't overfeed them), they grow pretty fast, they're adorable with their fluffy hairs, mine is pretty docile (really skittish but overall docile), hardy specie, basic care requirements, rarely hides
They have everything for themselves!! (along with A.geniculata)
I read a bunch of books and watched tarantula videos for 5 years before getting my first t. Leaving my ex really brought me to explore what I enjoy more, therefore jumping into the spider hobby and I couldn't be more grateful😄

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Mine was a G. rosea.
Adult female.
Begged until i got it for my ninth birthday.
They were all over the place back then and pretty much the petshop tarantula. I'd recommend one for a new keeper. They're very hardy. Very easy to care for. A bit boring, though. Prone to long periods of fasting. Mine was a pet rock, gorgeous as she was.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
My first was Lasiodora klugi sling. I named him Verdugo. I was looking for something that would eventually grow large, was slightly "feisty", and was food motivated. I'd done some research on basic care, but honestly didn't know much about the species I purchased. My friend who got me into tarantulas recommended a few more common beginner species, but as soon as I saw that fluffy little sling in the deli cup, I knew that I just had to buy him. Turns out he was the perfect choice for me. I would recommend this species to beginners, definitely. Easy husbandry, food motivated, grows moderately fast.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I’m a Born Again Keeper (BAK? 🤔), ironically both times I started with a C. versicolor. No urticating hairs to kick (they rub then on you) and on the docile side of the spectrum. It was mainly the coloration that drew me to them.

The one I had no plans on getting was T. albo months later, ended up getting the nic. form as a freebie and has been enjoyable watching it dig and move things around frequently.

Out of these two, if I did it again the T. albo is way more entertaining and active.

spooddude97

Arachnopeon
While I've been pondering which species to choose as my first tarantula, the more I put thought into it, the harder the decision has become. It made me wonder how other people made their decision.

My first was A. chalcodes. I wanted something laid back, slow moving, and one that would eat well. Luckily, she is all of those things! She’s never kicked hairs and she usually doesn’t mind me going in and out of her enclosure for spot cleaning/water refilling purposes. When she does mind, she just runs into her burrow. She eats everything I offer every time which is great because it stresses me out when my pets don’t eat. I know some species will fast for long periods of time, and my paranoia can’t handle that lol! I would for sure recommend A. chalcodes for any beginner keeper. My girl has been a dream.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. porteri AF back in 2009 from the local pet shop. She was very easy going, endured my many newbie mistakes. I sold her after a year and a half. My reasoning was that she was definitely WC, no way to gauge her actual age and didn't want to lose a pet so soon. Back then, it's the only T that seemed available since I had not looked into dealers yet. I bought another porteri in 2013, a much smaller (3" ish) one which is still with me today. In almost a decade of ownership, she has never fasted on me, then again, I do feed sparingly.

If they were readily available and affordable like before, I would suggest it. Nowadays, I think Tliltocatl albopilosus (Curlyhair) takes the top spot. Not the most colourful spider, but what a feeding response this beast has !

MerryAdvocado

Arachnopeon

Unfortunately the species I would recommend is very difficult to get (Homoeomma chilensis), so my second suggestion would be the Grammastola pulchra.

Both species have great temperaments, the Homoeomma chilensis is extremely docile, however the Grammastola pulchra is also docile, but has the added benefit of being a stunning black colouration, they also have very long lifespans, even the males.

Cecelias lair

Arachnosquire
Unfortunately the species I would recommend is very difficult to get (Homoeomma chilensis), so my second suggestion would be the Grammastola pulchra.

Both species have great temperaments, the Homoeomma chilensis is extremely docile, however the Grammastola pulchra is also docile, but has the added benefit of being a stunning black colouration, they also have very long lifespans, even the males.
H. chilensis is actually my ultimate choice but I can't find them anywhere so I'm torn between a few other species. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to find one soon