Your experience with Emerald Tree Boas or Green Tree Pythons

Bodega Bay Aquatics

Arachnopeon
Hello! My name is Patrick and I am interested in getting either a GTP or an ETB. After going back and forth I've decided to go with whichever one presents itself first. I won't be able to get a ETB or GTP for a while but even though that sounds really far off, I want to know everything I need to. And its also my passion to keep learning about this stuff. So for me as a reptile keeper, I have very little first hand experience. I grew up on a small farm and (looking to move back right now, actually) and I still have a small collection of animals, along with 10 aquariums which I house tropical fish like discus. From other animals I have a good understanding of misting systems and overall husbandry. Once I move I plan on getting a California kingsnake as my first snake. The high school I will be attending has a wildlife museum so I hope I can get around some larger snakes (BCI boas, ect) during the same time of having the Cal king. I wanted to start with something easier so I'd have a higher likelihood of a good experience. My true goal though is to keep either a GTB or ETB and I was wondering what you thought of your ETB or GTP? Also, if you feel comfortable sharing what CB breeders yo recommend it would be much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
I recently learned about the ETB's and I am quite fascinated. The northern tends to stay smaller (~6-7') and the amazon basin variants tend to get bigger (~8-9') and claims to be more docile than the northern. From what I have seen it's recommended to avoid handling them, they have some of the largest teeth, used to catch birds. CB prices run around $800 for the northern and I've seen $4K for the amazon basins'. Given that barrier to entry I would say do as much research as you possibly can.
I came across these videos I thought were pretty good at introducing how to care for them etc. (Keep in mind I have zero experience keeping snakes).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello! My name is Patrick and I am interested in getting either a GTP or an ETB. After going back and forth I've decided to go with whichever one presents itself first. I won't be able to get a ETB or GTP for a while but even though that sounds really far off, I want to know everything I need to. And its also my passion to keep learning about this stuff. So for me as a reptile keeper, I have very little first hand experience. I grew up on a small farm and (looking to move back right now, actually) and I still have a small collection of animals, along with 10 aquariums which I house tropical fish like discus. From other animals I have a good understanding of misting systems and overall husbandry. Once I move I plan on getting a California kingsnake as my first snake. The high school I will be attending has a wildlife museum so I hope I can get around some larger snakes (BCI boas, ect) during the same time of having the Cal king. I wanted to start with something easier so I'd have a higher likelihood of a good experience. My true goal though is to keep either a GTB or ETB and I was wondering what you thought of your ETB or GTP? Also, if you feel comfortable sharing what CB breeders yo recommend it would be much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!
I’ve researched these both extensively, and almost bought one of each if I hadn’t moved recently.

My research didn’t involve asking people on a forum, especially an arachnid forum.

I contacted the world experts on these animals, and I read heavily.

I STRONGLY recommend you contact well known breeders as I did.

And I definitely recommend you buy Greg Maxwell’s book on GTPs!

Lastly both of these are not snakes you handle.

There’s only 1 person I’d recommend for these boas Ed Marino

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
for what its worth i had a grey tree boa years ago was pretty cool once i got used to it always wanting to get to the highest point it could climb to anytime i had it out(to the top of my head or any other high point it could reach)never figured out if it was just highly defensive or really just all that moves is prey cause i almost always got bit any time i took it out.watching it hunt was a treat though hanging off a branch high up to capture its prey constrict it and eat it all while hanging half way off its branch.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
falways wanting to get to the highest point it could climb to anytime i had it out(to the top of my head or any other high point it could reach
My Hog Island Boa does the same thing, even though she’s 5’. She used to fit on top when she was a hatchling- still does it

basin79

ArachnoGod
Just to add if you end up with either a baby GTP, ETB, Basin ETB or ATB make sure you set up their perch so that it can easily be removed with the snake on it. They're very fragile as babies so you don't want to be handling them when you need to clean their enclosure.

Also you have to drum it into yourself especially with ETB and Basin ETB to not feed them too often. Sounds simple but when you see them in their classic "S" pose at night it can get tempting. Even after years.

Research, research, research. Absolutely astounding snakes. Look unbelievable just coiled up on their favourite perch in their enclosures.