Your collection must-haves!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My GBB is like your A. versicolor. He is a male but watching him grow has been awesome, I got him at 1/3 inch and he still has his gold(ish) carapace but he has some legs on him! He is already 4 inch in leg span outstretched and still has his gold carapace! He is actually going to molt again soon, I am so excited for him to mature. I already have a date lined up for him.

That's true. I've had a female GBB for a while, and the same is true for them as well. Versi and GBB have the most dramatic changes I can think of off the top of my head. If only my female wasn't such a hair flicker, she'd be perfect.

cold blood

Staff member
My GBB is like your A. versicolor. He is a male but watching him grow has been awesome, I got him at 1/3 inch and he still has his gold(ish) carapace but he has some legs on him! He is already 4 inch in leg span outstretched and still has his gold carapace! He is actually going to molt again soon, I am so excited for him to mature. I already have a date lined up for him.
Just curious if he still has his gold carapace? :laugh: (j/k)

I think everyone should own a BLUE T, like a GBB for example, because blue is the rarest color in nature and most animals that are blue to the human eye, aren't really blue.

I couldn't agree more. There are quite a few I don't have, and need to get.

No doubt about that either. I've only had 1 versi, it's a male, but watching the color change as it gets older is truly fascinating, far more fascinating than my other Avics.
Very happy you talked me out of my anti-avic ways Chris, I can't believe how much I like mine. I thought at one time I'd get 1 tops, if any...I have those 2 versicolors and as they grow, so does my appreciation...and my list of species I want. I can see how some just focus on this genus.

As for the question, obviously a versicolor...a red-leg type Brachy...at least one Psalmo and poec, and of course...everyone NEEDs at least one Pamphobetus...how these things aren't more popular is beyond belief! Message to every Pamph owner....breed those spiders, don't let them die virgins!:) The t world would be a better place if Pamphs became the new Lasis.:biggrin:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just curious if he still has his gold carapace? :laugh: (j/k)

Very happy you talked me out of my anti-avic ways Chris, I can't believe how much I like mine. I thought at one time I'd get 1 tops, if any...I have those 2 versicolors and as they grow, so does my appreciation...and my list of species I want. I can see how some just focus on this genus.

Thanks my man, that's awfully kind of you to say. I remember your anti-avic notions quite well. I thought BLASPHEMY my man, pure BLASPHEMY heh. I figured I had 1 route, keep honestly hyping them up so either 1. You'd get a couple to shut me up, 2. You'd see the "light" :biggrin:

I'm glad that outcome 2 was the result. Versicolors really do an amazing color change, and I'm learning with my male. He's going to molt again and I'll be curious to see what he turns into next. So far the past 2 molts he's turned out something different. My male already has that aqua-like color on the carapace. The reds are coming in on his abdomen. He's a good webber too, almost as much as my female minatrix.

They are definitely my favorite genus.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I really enjoy the color transformations of gbb every molt Iike a little surprise

--J.Haas

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks my man, that's awfully kind of you to say. I remember your anti-avic notions quite well. I thought BLASPHEMY my man, pure BLASPHEMY heh.
I do recall you saying exactly that....you crack me up doc!:laugh:

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@ColdBlood, yep, he still does! He still has his gold carapace. Last molt he didn't get rid of his gold carapace so now he still has his gold carapace. This molt, he may get rid of his gold carapace but he still might keep it just as he has since he was 1/2 inch with a gold carapace. At the moment he still has his gold carapace though. :biggrin:

cold blood

Staff member
@ColdBlood, yep, he still does! He still has his gold carapace. Last molt he didn't get rid of his gold carapace so now he still has his gold carapace. This molt, he may get rid of his gold carapace but he still might keep it just as he has since he was 1/2 inch with a gold carapace. At the moment he still has his gold carapace though. :biggrin:
Hilarious!

Way to out smart a$$ a smart a$$ :laugh:

Certainly a proper response;)

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
At first I was gonna comment "oops, didn't mean to add that extra one in there" but I thought about and this was definitely the better way to go :laugh:

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I'm into Ts with amazing coulor and markings of which the psalmopoeus sp. Is my absolute favourite especially the P. Irminia.

My 'to get' list includes the following: (because of awesome colouration, and some of these makes awesome webs, also I love verocious eaters and there's something about aggressive T species that attracts me)
Chilobrachys fimbriatus
Psalmopoeus Irminia (already have)
Psalmopoeus Cambridgei
Psalmopoeus Pulcher
Psalmopoeus Reduncus
Cyriopagopus Thorelli/schioedtei (if I'll ever get to have one)
Lampropelma Violaceopes
Haplopelma Lividium
Haplopelma Longipes
Haplopelma Schmidti
Haplopelma Hainanum
Haplopelma Albostriatum
Holothele Incei
Chromatopelma Cyaneopubesence
Phormingochilus Everetti
Ornithoctonus Aureotibialis
Pamphobeteus Ornatus
Pelinobius Muticus
Augacephalus Junodi
Augacephalus Enzendani

Then the next when I have absolute enough experience to keep these:

Poecilotheria Regalis
Poecilotheria Ornata
Poecilotheria Subfusca
Poecilotheria Metallica

I would love OBT, but they are illegal in my country..

Last edited:

Deguwitchrose

Arachnopeon
My most recent T is H.Maculata who is proving to be more of a hider than I anticipated. Still the ghostly colouring is worth it when she does make an appearance. For my next T I will be purchasing a Pamphobeteus Machalla - I have sourced a supply for a sling but will wait until warmer weather before purchase. I'm getting down the hard decisions now as space is becoming a premium and my husband says my collection of (only) 9 Ts is extensive enough. G.Pulcripes and A.Versicolour are both on the want list but may have to
decide between them rather than getting them both :(

arach619

Arachnopeon
Hands down, with educating the arachnophobes in mind, I love my Euathlus sp. Red and versicolor. The relatively small size and slow movement of the sp. Red keeps the panic levels at a minimum and when someone gets their comfort level up I can always rely on the T to make a good first impression if they choose to handle one. Usually I'm met with some form of "tarantulas are disgusting, how can you even touch them???" when my hobby eventually comes to light. To that response I fall back on my versi and most people have an easier time falling for an eight-legged purple-red fluff ball.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Hands down, with educating the arachnophobes in mind, I love my Euathlus sp. Red and versicolor. The relatively small size and slow movement of the sp. Red keeps the panic levels at a minimum and when someone gets their comfort level up I can always rely on the T to make a good first impression if they choose to handle one. Usually I'm met with some form of "tarantulas are disgusting, how can you even touch them???" when my hobby eventually comes to light. To that response I fall back on my versi and most people have an easier time falling for an eight-legged purple-red fluff ball.
For some reason my avic doesn't have that effect on people. On the other hand my g. pulchripes almost always does. Might have something to do with my avic being bigger and closer to her full size, while little pulchripes is still a juvie.

arach619

Arachnopeon
Yeah, the size is usually what keeps people amazed or has them running out of the room. The colors are almost always well-received by others and I've surprised people when I show them my 'beautiful' spiders

cold blood

Staff member
I'm always surprised by what "outsiders" think is cool in my collection....its rarely the ones I think are the coolest. I recently had someone FINALLY notice my versicolors for the first time ever....well, I have had them 7 months...lol.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah, the size is usually what keeps people amazed or has them running out of the room. The colors are almost always well-received by others and I've surprised people when I show them my 'beautiful' spiders
Larger Genus also take more room to house, Small ones are more reasonable with cage size.