Your calmest specimens

procyonloser

Arachnopeon
Out of your collections, which of your tarantulas is the calmest?
(As in, least likely to bolt/threat pose/kick hairs)

Was it bolty as a sling and calmed down, or was it always relatively easy going?
Is it essentially a fuzzy rock? Or is it curious - but not defensive?

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
Of all the T's I keep, 3 stand out as having a tendency to be very chilled (though I never take their calmness for granted as any T can surprise you, they are not predictable animals). These T's are my A. chalcodes, B. hamorii female and T. cyaneolum. The former two are very slow moving and methodical, your classic 'pet rocks'. The T. cyaneolum is faster moving and seems quite curious, content to walk right out of its enclosure and wander around (I should add that I haven't had the B. hamorii or T. cyaneolum for all that long). All three have not kicked hair, bolted or threat postured at any time (though the chalcodes has occasionally lifted its abdomen up which is a form of threat posturing as a precursor to kicking hairs, which it never actually does).

image_67526913.JPG

image_67236865.JPG

View attachment IMG_0 (1).mp4

Last edited:

handfulofspiders

Arachnopeon
e.campestratus, just now showing it’s adult colors! i’ve only ever seen it bolt into its tunnel, and usually after about a minute it comes back out. one of my favorites IMG_2722.png

jennywallace

Arachnopeon
My most chilled are probably my Grammostola pulchripes, 2 adult females, they never flick or threat posture and just sit still when I feed and fill the water dish.

Timc

Arachnosquire
I have a P. rufilata that’s a total sweetheart. Eight years old and only ever bolted once when she was a sling. Since then, smooth sailing. Now, that does certainly not mean I go poking around her enclosure, but she’s a very big chill girl (except now I’ve done gone and jinxed it) E70F2FED-B573-44E0-873B-E54203C22A82.jpeg
Her speed is definitely to be respected. As is her venom. And her beauty. Hell, everything about her is to be respected.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I'd say my adult female T. albo is probably my calmest. She basically doesn't budge when I open the lid. Never given me a bit of trouble

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I'd say my adult female T. albo is probably my calmest. She basically doesn't budge when I open the lid. Never given me a bit of trouble
Yeah only those T. albo , everything else I have is super skittish. L Klugi isn’t that bad but I had to use gloves to rehouse , usually it just sits in same spot not bothered by watering and maintenance. Avoiding the hairs isn’t as challenging as I’d thought.

CalicoGremlin

Arachnopeon
My adult female H. formosus is incredibly calm. She was more skittish as a sling, and would run to her burrow when disturbed. She stays out in the open now, not a care in the world. Never had a threat posture or a hair kicked from her. She is however always hungry, and tries to come eat the tongs or the water going into her dish any time I do maintenance.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire

This girl is hands down the calmest T that I've encountered in my life and I've seen lots of em.

She's never even attempted to kick hairs since I got her over a year ago, she's not bolty, and you can even cup her in your hand and pick her up like that so long as you're not putting any real pressure on the T ofc.

She's still a T, so you don't wanna handle her more than once a month or so, and you still wanna stay very close to the ground and handle over a cushioned surface preferably. I also need to add that not all Brachypelmas are this chill, I had a B hamorii that was much more skittish, and wouldn't hesitate to kick hairs if bothered. I also have other Ts that are close, mainly my G pulchra and T albopilosus are pretty chill, even if not as calm and mild mannered as this one.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
As crazy as this might sound my 5 inch dls pushing 5.5 inches P. irminia is the most chill, not docile, has no urticating setae T I have.

I need to get a new photo because the majority of time it is always perched at the top of it's corkbark round hide chilling. I laugh everytime I see it because I can picture it holding a drink, it's ridiculous.

Of course if you touch the enclosure and move it my irminia will retreat into the round corkbark. This is the trick I use before opening the top of the enclosure for feeding.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
My current least defensive tarantula is one of my adult female A. chalcodes. My other AF A. chalcodes is more likely to retreat to her hide and/or kick some hairs, although still far from being a defensive tarantula. I suppose they would be characterized as “fuzzy pet rocks,” but I am fond of them.

My least defensive T ever was one of my first, an MM H. chilensis. He never kicked hairs and liked to explore if given the opportunity.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
As crazy as this might sound my 5 inch dls pushing 5.5 inches P. irminia is the most chill, not docile, has no urticating setae T I have.
Same... Now that she's housed properly my 4" irminia set up a nice web fortress where she hangs out but also takes walks around her bin and poses at the top of her bark. If I really startle her, she just scuttles back to her fortress.

She even let me open the lid and get in her face with the little clip-on macro lens for my phone
PXL_20221231_234117670.jpg

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have four adult female T. albopilosus "Honduran" I've raised from slings (3 eighteen year olds and 1 six year old). Despite having incredible feeding responses, they are the most chill out of all the species I have or had. The A. chalcodes (several) and G. rosea (several) I have are pretty calm as well, but now and then have had temper tantrums.

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
Same... Now that she's housed properly my 4" irminia set up a nice web fortress where she hangs out but also takes walks around her bin and poses at the top of her bark. If I really startle her, she just scuttles back to her fortress.

She even let me open the lid and get in her face with the little clip-on macro lens for my phone
View attachment 446365
Mines mad active too. Just got one a few weeks ago. Opened up an order I got this morning and what's the freebie? Another Irminia! o_O

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Take a look at what's in my collection. I literally have NO calm specimens (this includes the tragically deceased ones).

if I really had to choose, my two Phan Cays take it, but I've never even attempted to even get close to them outside of rehouses (done with tongs and catch cups, no handling) and their insanity during feeding time really suggests I shouldn't.