Your Beginner Tarantula.

mwilson62

Arachnopeon
I'm new to keeping tarantulas and was wondering what everyone's beginner/first one?

Thanks in advance for your replys

Cemykay

Arachnosquire
I bought my first tarantulas at an expo. Brachypelma emilia, Tliltocatl (Brachypelma) vagans and Nhandu chromatus. Love all of them, my nhandu is always out in the open ;).

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
My very 1st tarantula was an Aphonopelma seemanni, coal black with ivory markings, named Terri. She was about 3 1/2 inches when I got her. We had her for 9 yrs.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
This T. albopilosum pictured below

20191101_225724.jpg

Purchased her as a 1/4" DLS sling in 2014. I'd like to think she's growing nicely.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
1st almost a year ago a T. albopilosum.
2nd and 3rd a month later: GBB and G. pulchra.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
My first tarantula was a juvenile A. avicularia.

My second ones were a B. cabocla, N. chromatus, and T. albopilosum.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Like many people, my first was a G. porteri (then rosea). She was a 5" adult female. I could have kept her, but not knowing her age (she was definitely WC), I chose to sell her to a new hobbyist nearly 2 years later. That was in 2010. In 2013, I acquired a much smaller (3.5"+) juvenile at my local pet shop. 7 years later and still no hooks, so I guess the Spider Gods smiled on me and gave me a very long-lived female. She could be anywhere between 10 to 15 years old. Odds are she'll still be around by the time I retire (less than 15 years). Yep, this younger one is still WC, but likely one of the last to be exported out of Chile in my area. As long as I can maintain Ts, I'll always have a G. porteri in my small collection.

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
A. chalcodes when I was a little kid, and after a long time without tarantulas, my first was C. versicolor.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Technically it was Aphonopelma seemanni - but that was back in the 90's and I just bought it on a whim. When I decided to get into inverts seriously the first one I got was Grammostola pulchra.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Mine was a L. klugi sling. I named him "Verdugo" and I still absolutely love big, fluffy, new world beasties! When I bought him I had done some research on tarantulas beforehand, but had never heard of that species before and didn't really know what I was getting at the time. For some reason I just loved that little fluffy sling and took a gamble. Turns out it was the perfect choice. Active and fast growing with some attitude thrown in the mix. Really ignited my passion for tarantulas.

corydalis

Arachnosquire
Mine was a Tliltocatl(ex.Brachypelma) vagans sling, and I just realized it was twenty years ago..

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Mine was a juvenile avicularia avicularia, and a Tlilocatl albopilosum sling.