YOU SAW IT COMING... Are you up or down with feeding a scorpion softies?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What are you talking about? What's a "softie"? Softshell crab? A brand of tissue? If you want to get a response, you might try a question that's a little less vague.

Wade

Antares

Arachnopeon
If you mean feeding vertebrates to a scorp, it has been discussed MANY times here, use the search function with "scorp mouse".

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That said, if you have new members they are going to want to participate in these kinds of conversations themselves. Questions already asked are to be expected on such a busy forum. It sure beats the hell out of having nobody here to even re-ask a question, right?

Antares

Arachnopeon
Sure, it's just that this particular debate has been held many times, and IHMO has never reached a meaningful conclusion apart from "let everyone do as they will". So I think it might not be necessary to start another 15-page thread with people calling each "cruel" or "weak-hearted", except of course if the initial poster has read the previous posts on that topic and thinks he has a new argument to propose.

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, you could really do a search as these questions only provoke useless debates...
As for your website, congratulations, but I didn't like it very much...I hope you will be adding some text, more pictures (but more normal pictures, not Photoshop ones), some info, so it could be a little more interesting and informative...I did like the tarantula VS Scorpion video but I disliked the poor gecko video...I find it very cruel and I don't know why it didn't end like the tarantula video, I would have appreciated that much more!
So, you got the answer to both your questions...

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, the scorp didn't deserve the gecko. It shed it's tail and escaped, only to be plonked right back in front of the scorp!!! :embarrassed:

I am not going to get bent out of shape about it, however, I would ask you (nicely) to re-evaluate since verts sense 'pain' in a much more complex manner than inverts.

Try a big locust or a roach. They probably put up more of a fight actually, since they don't succumb to the pain that a mouse or a lizard would feel. Hell, they keep fighting when they are half eaten. And that emphasises the difference between a vert and an invert superficially.

Poor gecko :(.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So a "softie" is a mouse? I've been keeping snakes for close to 20 years and this is the first time I've ever heard of a "softie". Does he mean "pinkie"?

Wade

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just checked out that gecko vid on his website and I have to say that is one of the most pointless things I've ever seen. What was the point? The scorpion didn't even seem that hungry and you just threw that gecko right in front of his face becase you needed to get your 'money shot' for the camera. He should not be allowed to own any type of predatory animal because he's obviously just in it for the shock entertainment value. And about the 'Softie'...I have no idea what he meant either...he probably meant 'Fuzzy' or 'Pinkie' but let's not even ask because he'll probably have a video of an emperor tearing one apart while it's still alive very soon.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
if a scorp isnt hungry, it doesnt eat :)

dont go too far Blasphemy ;)

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah that is true, but the scorpion was obviously in good health and very well fed...it did not look like a scorpion who needed a nice big prey item to fatten up...it was obviously just for his amusement.

Scorpionidad

Arachno-overlord
Old Timer
Set this Straight

Yes, vertibrates. Insects= hard. Animals=softies. I call them softies for obvious reasons. The shot where I just "threw" the gecko at the scorpion was an illusion due to editing. There were some parts in the original shoot where my finger was in the way and editing my finger out made the gecko "jump" to his location. AND I do not have any remorse for what I have done in the videos. A bear catches a fish and rips it up still alive. A croc may take a long time to kill something, causeing it to die a painful death. You just cannot stop things like this from happening all the time. There are birds that would just love a nice juicy gecko and would not consider its pain. I care for my scorpions, keep them healthy, care for their food until feeding time. FOOD. That is all they are. The hamburger you ate came from a cow. Poor cow? Wah. All I am doing is feeding my babies something while saving a few bucks on the side. ;)

Last edited:

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
also i might add that his scorp (the H.petersii) is WC, and in Viet-Nam where they come from, they dotn feed exclusively on crickets, they eat whatever they find!

so shall he feed it an earth tiger tarantula? or a little gecko?
id like to see the earth tiger get ripped apart :p

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. Carnell said:
also i might add that his scorp (the H.petersii) is WC, and in Viet-Nam where they come from, they dotn feed exclusively on crickets, they eat whatever they find!

so shall he feed it an earth tiger tarantula? or a little gecko?
id like to see the earth tiger get ripped apart :p
You seriously think that it will come across an aboreal lizard in the wild? The odds of that are highly unlikely. And while we're at it...in the wild it would have escaped minus it's tail and not been thrown right back in front of the scorp's face.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
it doesnt really matter really

lizard, gecko, arboreal? theyre all the same- MEAT available for things that can kill them

the fact that it wouldnt come into contact in the wild is irrelevant, the scorp needs food, you provide it with food

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wade said:
So a "softie" is a mouse? I've been keeping snakes for close to 20 years and this is the first time I've ever heard of a "softie". Does he mean "pinkie"?

Wade
Hehe, I also didn't understand that, :confused: but since I am not american I thought it was some common name everybody knew about :?

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. Carnell said:
if a scorp isnt hungry, it doesnt eat :)

dont go too far Blasphemy ;)
I have seen scorpions eathing while their stomac was almost exploding and that is a very dangerous thing to do as they can die with overfeeding...anyway, the imperator didn't look very fond of eating that gecko and when the poor creature was tossed on him he just defended himself grabbing him with his claws...sad to watch really...and call the video "lucky gecko" :? :? :? :wall: :wall:
I think blasphemy said nothing wrong :evil:

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. Carnell said:
it doesnt really matter really

lizard, gecko, arboreal? theyre all the same- MEAT available for things that can kill them

the fact that it wouldnt come into contact in the wild is irrelevant, the scorp needs food, you provide it with food
If all it needs is food then why not just feed it cheaper crickets or roaches and not something it doesn't need to survive? This was purely for entertainment and you know it.