You know you're a hobbyist when...

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I think it's time for a fun, silly thread. Don't you?

The concept is simple. Surely you've all had that moment when the reality hits you - you're in kind of a strange hobby. Whether you're talking to someone, buying your third set of shelves, or contemplating starting a roach colony. Share that on here, kind of like a "here's your sign" moment.

To me, you know you're a hobbyist when you have to use the word "about" when people ask how many spiders you have.

"How many do I have? Oh jeez... about fifty, not including slings. Wait, where are you going?"

Kymura

Arachnoknight
You know your a hobbyist when you lose sleep because one is molting or doesn't look 'quite' right.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
when I can hardly have a conversation with someone, without talking about my t's/beetles/millipedes/scorps, etc. etc.

Oh yeah, and when I name myself "spider_nerd" on Instagram.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
You know you are a hobbyist when every container is scoped out for suitable use as an enclosure, hide, catch cup....etc. Even the "LAYS" Potato chip container ;)
Eventually settling for more consistent and stack-able enclosures.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
I literally go through everything that's replied so far! XP. Anyways mine is probably when I'm paranoid enough at work to not touch pesticides in fear of residue still on my hands after bathing and washing my hands 50+ times before walking into my T room.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You know you're in the hobby when you physically shudder hearing someone refer to venomous animals as poisonous.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I was getting mad at our science textbook last year because it stated that spiders are poisonous... :punch::rage::banghead:
I would absolutely write a letter to the publisher. No joke. There's a reason that there are 10+ editions to the same textbook - catching mistakes like that.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I would absolutely write a letter to the publisher. No joke. There's a reason that there are 10+ editions to the same textbook - catching mistakes like that.
Well that textbook was outdated by about a decade so I'm pretty sure they've already made a new one, but our school doesn't have much money.

MoonWeaver

Arachnopeon
When you take a shower after coming home from your mother-in-law's because her dog was treated with flea meds the day before you went over to her house.

Arcana

Arachnopeon
You know you're a hobbyist when you spend all your extra money on T supplies... And your friends started to call you a spiderwoman :D