You just entering the hobby vs. you now

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Are there anythings you used to worry about too much when you entered the hobby? Something that really made you nervous or even bothered you and that you no longer worry about anymore?

For me, I'd have to say humidity and finding boluses. I was always freaking out about it, if the humidity wasn't moist enough the spider would die. If I didn't find the bolus ASAP mites would be everywhere. Obviously, it's not the case anymore after 3+ years of keeping haha.

Curious to see the replies to this.

Alana

Arachnopeon
When I was first in the hobby, I honestly didn't worry about much. I was given 3 sub-adult NW terrestrials by a long-term keeper and everything seemed pretty much straightforward. Eco earth, heat mat(!), cork slab, water bowl, spray it once a week, done. I had loads of reptiles (which I admittedly put much more thought and time into), so I always had various feeders on hand, but if they didn't get eaten I just left them in there, I had no idea that they would attack a moulting tarantula. I had the TKG (1998 edition) and someone to ask, and that was that really. I did get more Ts after I'd had those for a while, and everything did ok, but looking back I wonder how I didn't manage to kill half of them!

Coming back to it 10+ years later, being a bit older and wiser and doing much much more research this time round (mainly from here), I was concerned with ventilation mainly, particularly with the avics. I'm hoping I've got it right, so far everything seems to be ok. I was a bit concerned when I first got the pokies, wondering whether or not it was the right choice (I have children and pets which were a big consideration), but I'm fairly comfortable with them and their husbandry now. (I've always loved pokies and so far have no interest in any other OWs.)

I'm quite obsessive with research and husbandry these days due to having severe anxiety and panic disorder. Having as much knowledge about things and doing the best job I can really helps keep it at bay. So if I have any concerns at all, I come on here, search through any related threads I can find and then get it sorted ASAP.

Sorry, just realised how long that was!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Grooming, especially when many NW terrestrials will stop and hold the position for hours.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I know the hobby isn't as fun as it was when I started. I don't feel the same way, its just drama all over nowadays.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Nothing, except for a good excuse for justify the fact of two brats returning home with a couple of T's and scorpions. In Italy. Back then.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The number one thing I worried about when I was given my first sling (a B. albopilosum) was whether I was going to regret having a pet spider. I was still moderately arachnophobic at the time and the prospect of eventually having a six-inch spider living in my house - one that could potentially live for 20 years or more - was a little intimidating. I was also very much afraid that she would get out when I had to open her enclosure to feed her. Turns out I had nothing to worry about - she was perfectly well-behaved and never made that mad dash for freedom that I was dreading. And as for being afraid of spiders and unsure if I wanted *one* living in my house? Suffice to say that my biggest concern now is figuring out where I can put another cage!

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I used to worry about the Avic enclosure getting to dry and having to much ventilation, now it's a complete 180, wondering if the Avic is dry enough and has enough vent holes.

hairyspideyfan

Arachnopeon
Heat. I had heat mats for all my T's, thinking that was THE thing to do, and then I learned on here that many people use ambient heat instead. But then I have a spare bedroom as a T room. I personally find this a much better arrangement for me and my T's. I suppose it does depend how many T's you have, and where they are in your property....

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I was massively worried about things like humidity, cross ventilation, sharp parts in the coco fiber substrate, substrate dampness...man, so much stuff. Now I'm much more calm about things, I realize a T won't die in 20 minutes of having a boules in there lol

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I though it may have been just a have a phase at the time. 6 years later... definitely not a phase. T life for life

Estein

Arachnoknight
I spent the first two weeks with my first T with constant anxiety because I never thought about what it would be like to have an animal that I couldn't see breathing! Two-plus years later and I'm much more relaxed about my Ts doing the pet rock thing, which honestly I don't really mind.

Veribug

Arachnosquire
I only entered the hobby in April this year but I actually surprised myself.
I had been doing research for a D diadema to begin with, she arrived and settled in wonderfully. That's when I considered a T.
Because I was already on the forum I made a post but also kept reading common queries daily. I learned before I even had a tarantula that there was a lot of excessive worrying so when mine arrived I knew I already had good husbandry and that I would be just fine.
Now I have two more slings. I still worry a little when they sit in super dumb positions all motionless but asides from that I have no concerns. :) the forum was definitely the best thing to happen to me!

truecreature

Arachnoknight
I used to get super worried whenever any of my spiders would molt, to the point where if I saw one on its back before I went to bed I would have bad dreams that night and wake up several times to check on their progress. Now, I've gone through so many molts that I'm mostly indifferent to it; though if it's a particularly expensive species I still sweat a little bit.

I also used to helicopter pretty bad and check on the spiders multiple times a day.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I used to get super worried whenever any of my spiders would molt, to the point where if I saw one on its back before I went to bed I would have bad dreams that night and wake up several times to check on their progress. Now, I've gone through so many molts that I'm mostly indifferent to it; though if it's a particularly expensive species I still sweat a little bit.

I also used to helicopter pretty bad and check on the spiders multiple times a day.
Helicopter?

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Entering the hobby: I was scared of spiders and interested in holding T's.
Now: I love all spiders and am pretty against handling for the sake of the t.

cold blood

Staff member
When I got my first, I didn't want one...even a little bit. But having worked at a zoo, and due to my love of fish and to a (only slightly) lesser extent, reptiles, I got to know the keepers in the A & R building (aquarium and reptiles), one of which was also a t keeper. He had one he brought places to show off (educate) and in our chatting, I made it obvious I didn't think they were even a good pet....I didn't get it at all. Knowing my love for animals, he knew his education wouldn't be wasted on me, and force fed me bits of interesting info here and there.

Fast forward a few years, I had just left the zoo, but because of my friend I had a whole lot of solid knowledge about them, and a few species in particular, so I know that some had really long life spans as females. So I am living with my brother at the time, and I come in to the house and my brother says "Hey, look what Karl has". Karl was our "college kid" neighbor....well good old Karl had bought this female G. porteri (I knew it simply as a rose hair). I asked why he bought it, and as I am holding the deli cup, he tells me he bought it to throw at his roommate to scare him (laughing hysterically as he explained). He thought it was the funniest prank ever, I thought it was absolutely horrific, scolded him, informed him that not only would his prank result in instant death, but the death of something with an incredibly long life ahead of it. I told him he couldn't have it back and asked him to leave...without the spider. I set up an aquarium that night and she's been there ever since (16 years later). At this point I was pretty open about never having more than one. I also had rushed out to buy a heat pad so my rosie wouldn't freeze.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

It took me a good 5 years to really get comfortable with her (I was previously a bit arachnophobic) and learn things about her because she wasn't in a rush to do anything and fasted constantly. The next 4 years I really decided to buy more at some point, and did a lot of research on species.

Finally I bought one more, then another, and was now pretty comfortable and utterly fascinated (and finally realized I could remove that heat pad:bag:). I decided at this point, that if I just had a few more I would get to feed and enjoy them more often, as in, regularly:rofl:. This is about when I discovered that there were forums such as this one, in existence....it was a total game changer. Quickly I had decided 20 was an ideal number, but also became frustrated when they would all go pre-molt for weeks. I was now someone who was always looking for one here and there, but was rather open about the fact that I wasn't interested in breeding or having too many (maybe 50 would be a good number:bookworm:)....that breeding was just over the top for a "normal" person (I should have just realized at this point that I was no, "normal").:)

Then my t room got some help from a long time keeper who really helped me expand at a very low cost and it was basically a life changer (thanks @Poec54). That generosity is why I always go out of my way to help newcomers who seem genuinely committed to the hobby in any way I can....be it information or if the situation presents its self, extra spiders.

I've since stopped expanding, become less worried about pre-molt fasts or feeding as its almost become a chore (albeit one I still enjoy), and I've been breeding whenever I can, having produced now 8 sacs, my incei that just double clutched will be 9 if the sac proves to be good. I've also as a result, started to become a seller as well in the past year.

The old me, wouldn't recognize the hobby the current me lives and deals with on a daily basis.