You can't tell from the pic, but this avic has the biggest butt period -- come on joy

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Here's a post-prandial view of my A. urticans :)

Joy

Last edited:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
holy jeez, that totally blows my guy outta the water, joy! Nice T!!!

what's it eating?
pce
dave

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
something that has been bugging me...

By the way nice Ts all. :)

What I have been wondering for some time now is exactly who came up with the concept that fat Ts have problems molting. Sorry but I have yet to have a T have any molting problems due to being fat. As a matter of fact the ones that I've had molt badly such as the recent rufilata incident were on the thin side if anything. Now sure I'll give ya a grossly fat T does run a higher risk of bursting if it takes a fall but fat does not cause any problems other than that. I honestly don't know how this train of thought got started but it is not correct boys and girls. I also have to disagree with the Ts having a set number of molts theory as males do but females .... I don't think so. I have been keeping these critters for quite a while now and have yet to see one burst let alone get hung up in a molt due to being fat nor have I seen one dragging it's butt causing a worn spot or even slowing them down any. About the only thing different about a fat T is that when they molt they tend not to come out of it all scrawny.
And one last thing... I forget who brought it up but the statement about Ts will eat whenever food is given to them even if they aren't hungry must not have kept too many Ts because they most certainly will refuse food if they don't want it. I have even seen them kill food and leave it lying just to keep it from bothering them without eating it. Just thought the other side of the coin needed to be exposed is all.

Oh yeah almost forgot.. Dave your avic is indeed big enough for mice as I have had them smaller than that take them. Not fullsize of course but if you drop a pinkie in there I'll bet ya it will take it. Sometimes they don't go after them right away as they seem to be confused by the new type of food but rest assured it can indeed take them and most likely will.

Phil

Last edited:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Phillip!

Nice post! I've never seen any "big-T" problems either, except for bursting when the fall, but hey, most T's would also. I've never lost any T's that way, but thats what I hear :)

I feed pinkies to my T's, but just not my avic yet.. I may, in about a month, try a pinkie.

and I agree, Alot of my T's will kill a cricket, just to kill it. My PZB does that sometimes...

good call with the other side of the coin :)

peace,
dave

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
holy jeez, that totally blows my guy outta the water, joy! Nice T!!!

what's it eating?
pce
dave
She gets mostly superworms and crickets, with an occasional pinkie mouse. Surprisingly, she isn't all that big of an eater. I doubt she averages one feeding a month. I think A. urticans just have a natural tendency toward plumpness, as even the wild ones we saw in Peru were quite rotund.

Joy

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree, I have an adult female A. urticans and she has a good size abdomen. She eats ok, but not an outrageous amount. She still looks really healthy though. I wish I could get a pic of her, but she hides during the day.:)