You can't tell from the pic, but this avic has the biggest butt period -- come on joy

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alright, not one to rival joy, and i don't powerfeed any of my T's, but this little avic is biiiiiiig! Any other big butt avics?

peace dave :)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
one more... again, this is the SLOWEST avic ever. period :) on one of the RARE photo sessions

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this is my friend who's doing her PhD in bio/arachno. I am in NO way implying that anyone who doesn't know what their doing should put a T on their face -- thats how stupid accidents happen (read: urticating hairs in eyes with roseas). But i suppose we give arachnologists, biologoists, stever irwin, and jeff corwin a fair amount of leeway as they are the "professionals" :)

anyways, i think its a cool pic.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
Alright, not one to rival joy, and i don't powerfeed any of my T's, but this little avic is biiiiiiig! Any other big butt avics?

peace dave :)
Well, tomorrow's my monthly mouse-feeding day, so I may have some contenders to exhibit after that! I agree, however, that your specimen will be hard to beat.

Joy

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its bigger than any other avic i've seen -- they all look gaunt :)

joshing, but..
pce,
dave

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man, mine arent big enough to take mice yet -- well maybe my big slow mama will be next molt...

can't wait to see yours joy! Bet they blow mine outta the water, but its cool seeing a nice big avic! they're so cool anyways!

pce,
dave

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
man i don't mean to be offensive or anything and i think mister internet has said this before too, but honestly what is so cool about a T with a huge abdomen??? just runs the risk of injury and if you'd fatten your T up like that you must not think much of her.

Risto

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
poor obese Avic

that's a sad picture.
In the wild T's watch their weight because they need to be fit to escape. If that avic was on the wild, it would have been bird prey
how sad:(

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
whoa, she's not HUGE!! lam's right, mine aren't big by any shot, ESPECIALLY compared to Joy

and anyways,im not a powerfeeder -- like i said. I do 2 crickets every 2 days. But its not like EVERY 2 days, i mix it up... The first pic just looks alot bigger than it really is --

and there's NOTHING cool about fattening up a T, especially if its TOO TOO big, but some T's just get fatter than others. All of my brood are pretty normal, and this is the fattest T i have (which really isn't that fat).

I'm just surprised at how big the T is compared to most of the other avics i see.

again, im not a powerfeeder. hell, i don't even feed them till they cant eat anymore (which i read about alot on this thing).. i mix it up pretty good, kind of like in the wild... kind of...

at any rate, i've never lost a T to this method, and my T's are all damn healthy :)

check the pic again, i think you'll see its really not that big. By the way, those are all the same avic.

any other big avic pics? Its just cool to see some bigger ones.

peace,
dave

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm in no way trying to be offensive, but, man, many things can happen in the wild -- they can be killed, too?! Thats the whole thing about keeping them in captivity, and thats the whole thing about this hobby!! Do crickets fall from the sky on a daily schedule in the wild? Is there always some giant keeper watching over the T in the wild? Def. not! If the T gets into a molting problem in the wild, is there someone to take care of it?

and there are T's found in the wild that aren't slim, i can attest to that, as i'm sure many other 'hunters' (not killers of course) can also attest. They're all different. Thats whats partly so cool about this whole hobby!

I'm in no way a powerfeeder. I'll take some more pics of my mama and you can judge for yourself brother.

We just simply don't know enough about food cycles of the T --- In other words, there's a grey area between powerfeeding and normal feeding... The area where you aren't powerfeeding the T, but aren't just doing the once-a-week thing... What it comes down to is that we still really don't know alot about these amazing creatures... if you keep a healthy T and a good living area (read: not just 2" of substrate) with no rocks around the cage, and you know the T's well, there really isnt a problem with giving a bit extra food, in my opinion!

hope this clears something up!

peace all
dave

Last edited:

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't think that Avic's abdomen is TOO large. It is big enough to show that it's healthy, many of my Avic's look the same way and I feed mine less, based on Dave's feeding schedule. The abdomen does not appear shiny, which it gets when the T really has had too much to eat and it's abdomen is bolging. Good Job with the A. Avic. Dave :)

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hmmmmmm.........there's just something about that butt that screams pre-molt to me. I mean you did say she was pretty slow too. Usually Avics are fast little suckers.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re:

You can't tell from the pic, but this avic has the biggest butt period -- come on joy

Alright, not one to rival joy, and i don't powerfeed any of my T's, but this little avic is biiiiiiig

its bigger than any other avic i've seen

Aren't these statements you said before people criticized you kinda contradictory to the ones you said afterwards...?

whoa, she's not HUGE!! lam's right, mine aren't big by any shot

check the pic again, i think you'll see its really not that big

I thought the point of this thread was to show how big your tarantula's butt was but then you flip it around to say it's not big..... :? :confused: :?

Just an observation.

kellygirl

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my point of this post was to show that its got a nice big butt, (biggest I've ever seen)but not OBESE (my whole "not to rival joy" part of the title). Like i said before, most pics of avics i see are really gaunt looking. I'm sure its just the pics I see, but I rarely see a nice full, rounded avic!

looking forward to joy's pics of the avics though!

and hun, this is nowhere near me flipping out -- it takes quite a bit to even get me mad even. Thats the wonder of this internet -- you have to realise youre just reading words, right :)

And it def. IS bigger than ANY other avic i've seen, but she's def. not HUGE. Thats not contradictory at all -- thats actually RIGHT to my point! Its big, but it aint the biggest. my whole thing is i'm not apowerfeeder, and my T's arent "sad" in anyway!

just an observation, too

dave

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

and hun, this is nowhere near me flipping out -- it takes quite a bit to even get me mad even. Thats the wonder of this internet -- you have to realise youre just reading words, right :)
I didn't say flip out. I said flip it around. Just make sure you read the words right. ;P

kellygirl

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice Avic, Theres nothing else to say, some of these people (not naming names) are trying to make it sound like dave isn't taking care of his avic, I think it looks fine, nice big abdomen, not deadly, and it's arboreal so it isn't as likely to fall, and if it does(hope not) things happen. Anyway i think people get a little crazy on here sometimes. but hey it's all good... i think.. Yea well nice avic dave!! I don't think theres anything wrong with it. Mine is alot smaller than that, but s/he just molted, so she hasn't eaten in a while.
Mike

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and mike comes in for the solid right hook :)

nice pics mike! Before i saw the caption for the pic, i was wondering what the "heck" i was looking at!

take some pics right after it comes out of the molt!

and i will read closer next kg!

"heck" yes, with my big-butted, but not Huge-butted avics :)
pce
dave