You can't squish this 'iron' beetle. Now, scientists know why.

paumotu

Arachnobaron
I usually find them in my yard during the summer months, knew they were tough, but not this tough.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I wonder why. Seems like the other beetles have elytra that work just fine, so what's this one doing that's different?

paumotu

Arachnobaron
I wonder why. Seems like the other beetles have elytra that work just fine, so what's this one doing that's different?
According to the article, "Microscopic analysis of exoskeleton cross-sections showed lateral support structures that made some parts of the elytra stiffer than others, to distribute weight uniformly over the beetle's back and protect its organs. And further reinforcement came from the seam where the elytra fused together."

schmiggle

Arachnoking
According to the article, "Microscopic analysis of exoskeleton cross-sections showed lateral support structures that made some parts of the elytra stiffer than others, to distribute weight uniformly over the beetle's back and protect its organs. And further reinforcement came from the seam where the elytra fused together."
I meant what selective pressure caused them to evolve that way, not how they engineered the feat. For example, are they the favored prey of a larger animal with significant jaw strength? Do they force themselves between rocks? To me that's an interesting next step.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I personally am of the mind that they didn't evolve...

Anyways, while this species is incredibly tough, I know from personal experience that they can be crushed by much lighter things, like a bike wheel. While hiking once I was passed by a few bikers; a few feet further on there was an Ironclad that had been freshly and completely crushed, its exoskeleton split in multiple places. As no one else passed me before or after the bikers, I assumed it must have been the bicyclists (who were traveling at 10+ miles per hour).

Tough they are indeed, but not invincible.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

paumotu

Arachnobaron
I meant what selective pressure caused them to evolve that way, not how they engineered the feat. For example, are they the favored prey of a larger animal with significant jaw strength? Do they force themselves between rocks? To me that's an interesting next step.
I’d assume that they have these specialized elytra as a protection from birds and similar predators. The other darkling beetles native to their habitat (in my area, eleodes sp.) defend themselves with a foul smelling chemical spray, leaving them without so much of a need for such a “shell”.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Predators will lose interest if it’s too much work. They’ll move on to a bug that’s easier to eat.