Yjackets

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OK, I like inverts, but Jackets, no way!, been stung tooooo many times. I was going to spray this nest in my backyard but I don't like that stuff. I'm going to wait, be patient and dig it up when it gets cold, more interesting anyway.

Vulgaris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good choice! :) :)

Those are Vespula squamosa by the way. Don't do any digging until at least November

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a small nest collection. I usually find many larvae still there in the dead of winter along with one to several queens, the larvae make OK feeders. Do you know if the ones left sometimes continue the same nest year to year? I've never given them a chance to do that if they do, I don't like them around my yard.

Vulgaris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Got any pics of your collection?

There should be very few larvae (if any) left in the nest by November. The few that may be left are usually dead - they can't take cold temps and the adults cannibalize or evict them

Perennial colonies are very uncommon, so it would be extremely unlikely for this nest to overwinter

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't have any pics, guess I could take one, might have one somewhere, just a few nests. The last one I dug up and several left, cold, just sitting there but I don't remember what month it was. I'll post pics of when I dig this one up.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are everywhere by me, and what I did was mix a drop or two of maple syrup with water, put some on the end of a q-tip, and slowly put the mixture towards the nest, all the wasps will drink from the q-tip and if you do it every day they actually learn not to fear you! No joke!

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ugh. I hate those things! About 2 weeks ago I was cleaning one of our outdoor cages and 8 of them burst out of the ground. I got 2 in the leg 1 in the hand and 1 in the ear which was the worst!!!

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When I was younger I stepped on a nest while playing hide-and-seek. I was stung 24 times. I had a vendetta for a long time, but I've forgiven them. I'd like to habituate some with the q-tip trick but I don't see them in Florida. I guess I'll have to settle for the 10 million other insect species in Florida.