YIKES! we have been invaded!

Blue_neutrino

Arachnopeon
An arachnid-hormone that blocks egg production for a short but long enough time.

There is a safe ratio for toxins:

If a human ingests 1 gram of the "toxic" alcohol their is no harm done, if a mice gets the same amount it is most certainly exterminated, and yet the are both mammals.
The ratio theory for toxins does work if you do not overestimate the amount of toxin taken up by the (small) spider.

A mite exterminating chemical that is harmless to your spider is not impossible at all:

All toxic agents have a different underlying mechanism.
Because the mite and the spider have almost the same body chemistry, the mechanism for a safe toxin will have to focus on where the two are different.
One difference such a mechanism could use is the large difference in the length of their life cycles.

If one would spray an arachnid-hormone that blocks egg production for 1,5 life cycles off the mite. The mites will all have died without reproducing and the spider is freed off the mites safely.

So considering using pesticides can be beneficial or at least be more beneficial for your pet than the viable means.

Last edited:

Blue_neutrino

Arachnopeon
I can understand your point of view to.

I would also think twice before doing something that is not tested, that could possibly be harmful for the T.

If everybody agreed there would be no progress.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I could certainly recognize the benefits of a pesticide described here. The time-controlled infertility idea sounds great. My only question then is would the lice killer mentioned earlier contain those properties? If it does, well, learn something new everyday. If not, you may have a very good idea for the invert hobby. If you could develop such a pesticide, I could see it being useful in zoos, museums, certain biology centers, bug pavillions, pet shops, all the way down to the average hobbyist. (like myself :))

No offense but I'm still sticking with the "thorough cleaning" method. That's still what I recommend as well. Your comments sound very logical and good. Personally I'm of the mind that if it's not broke, don't fix it. That's not to say there's only one way to kill mites either.
I can't put my finger on why but there's still a red flag when I consider the use of any pesticides.
That feeling may subside when I see a product on the shelf containing the exact properties you describe...with a guarantee for my T's safety of course. :)

Atrax

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Blue_neutrino
I can understand your point of view to.

I would also think twice before doing something that is not tested, that could possibly be harmful for the T.

If everybody agreed there would be no progress.
This is quite true. You have a very good idea which has spawned from this thread already.

Atrax

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I simply do not see the point in taking the risk of using any chemicals when there is a safer alternative. Especially in the case where an expensive or rare T is concerned.
Agreed 100% as far as the rare or expensive T is concerned... as this is true with herps as well. I don't hesitate in using a mite control spray of various types on a Cornsnake E.guttata or Kingsnakes L.g. splendida for example, but for my Piebald Ball Pythons Python regius I take a whole different approach. Just as with some people's T's, when high-dollar or rare animals are concerned, "chances" are too risky.

As with ANY pesticide used to control a nuisance pest, regardless of what is being treated, harm can come from the mis-use or improper application.

Also remember...the suggestion I gave regarding the NIX brand lice killer is just that, a suggestion. I have used it on a few T's with no ill effects...but if one is not comfortable in using such a product, then by all means, don't use it.

As Blue_neutrino pointed out, however, by refusing to "explore" other possibilities (within reason of course), we limit ourselves to a zero-progression in the overall care & treatment of our beloved pets.

Also pointed out was a good point in the use of Permethrin. Relate Permethrin to the LD50 scale...just because any animal has a higher LD50 rating doesn't make it any less dangerous...what one has to take in to account is the amount that is involved. The same is definitely true when using any type of medication such as Permethrin...doseages must be adheared to.