Yikes - I promise vids of this thing...

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Tonght, the giant 11"ish S. subspinipes destroyed a huge Blaberus giganteus roach in a matter of moments... I promise I'll get it on video next time and post it within a few days. :D

bill

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bill,

i'd love to see some more videos of that pede, it's an impressive animal. I've recently seen my subspinipes showing the same digging technique that yours has shown in the previous video on your site. How deep a substrate have you given yours? I'm curious to know if it will dig deep down, or if it is just scraping the top layer of soil in search of food.
How active have you found your subspinipes to be in general? I've been really suprised at how often i see mine moving around the tank in the middle of the day. I fully expected it to be exclusively nocturnal, but so far it is the most visible and active of all my pets. I'm now going to keep my eyes peeled for a S. heros in the UK, but i've a feeling it could be a while before i find one.

Cheers,

Dan.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This subspinipes (orange legged variety) is pretty nocturnal and active at that time. I think individuals vary, as may subspecies.

Hopefully there will be some video tonight! :)

bill