Yet another Theraphosa "sp" thread

John Kanker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
But Jmugleston they all look similar so ipso facto they are the same, no ifs, no buts, no gray areas, Mack is 100% right.
It doesn't matter about all those small differences, the fact is they all come from South America.
And no he doesn't need to prove anything because he is the only person who could be right ok. everyone else is wrong.
:rolleyes:

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah John, you pretty much hit the nail on the head there, I stopped posting on this thread about 100 posts ago, sometimes some people will just not take on board the information that's actually there.

I'm sure that once the papers published that "The Mack" will either ditch his screen name and come back as someone else to save face or maybe even keep it and argue about the said paper.... Le sigh

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
But Jmugleston they all look similar so ipso facto they are the same, no ifs, no buts, no gray areas, Mack is 100% right.
It doesn't matter about all those small differences, the fact is they all come from South America.
And no he doesn't need to prove anything because he is the only person who could be right ok. everyone else is wrong.
:rolleyes:
Well here I go to change all the names on my Avics to Theraphosa sp. :liar: because my Avics are from South America.

John Kanker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm sure that once the papers published that "The Mack" will either ditch his screen name and come back as someone else to save face or maybe even keep it and argue about the said paper.... Le sigh
Only if it shows DNA evidence.;) The guy has basicly said that all character based taxonomy is useless due to no DNA evidence.
I also think in some respects he is right on this but this is only one view in what is known as the species problem . The fact is the species problem is, and probably always will be an ongoing debate with biologists and the like as there are no clear cut answers. Every theory, definition, and concept has its gray areas which is why I do not pass Mack's arguement (what there is of it) out of hand.
On the other hand I would not, as Mack seems to do, pass out all the other arguements either.
He may think of himself as enlightened and as someone who thinks for himself, but if he is closed to every concept apart from the one he believes then he can't be. Unfortunately he is also someone who feels that they have to be unnessary patronizing when trying to put across his arguement.
anyway thats how I read the the thread.
peace out
John

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You still don't get it!? Poor Mack is so continually misunderstood.
He will obviously turn it around so as to argue that it completely supports what he's been saying all along, and question why the spaghetti monster's DNA analysis wasn't included in the paper. There is no end-game here or there...:rolleyes:

Bill

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Even if they have everything clear it will still take a long time.
thats cool! always great to chat about something! even better when its about big spiders!

enjoy your day Falk!

Here is a picture of all three side by side. Until recently it was thought that the pink tarsi were only found on T. apophysis. Therefore, slings with pink tarsi were called T. apophysis. It was also thought that the spiders coming in from Guyana were Theraphosa blondi. Not to surprise anyone, but few hobbyists check their collection against species descriptions to be sure that is what they really have. Recently it was made known that there was a third species of large brown spider that was not T. blondi or T. apophysis. In the hobby it was given the name "burgundy goliath." In the scientific literature it was named long while ago as Lasiodora spinipes. Once we realized we were dealing with a third species we started paying more attention to our spiders. I have all three in my collection. Side by side they are as easy to differentiate as B. smithi from A. geniculata. Earlier in this thread I list a number of morphological characters that also differ between the three.

The second T is the same spider as the first T just after a fresh molt!--
Just kidding! ill send you some pics of the couple i have to see what you think!

Have a great day!

The Mack

Arachnosquire
You still don't get it!? Poor Mack is so continually misunderstood.
He will obviously turn it around so as to argue that it completely supports what he's been saying all along, and question why the spaghetti monster's DNA analysis wasn't included in the paper. There is no end-game here or there...:rolleyes:

Bill
Not true at all. There is definitely an "end" to this, and it needs to come in the form of genetic isolation evidence for it to be definitive. Oh, and the spaghetti monster's DNA analysis won't be included in the paper, unless you guys are making the claim that he exists along with your claim that these spiders are separate species. . .

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have gotten some info about the revision Brazilian taxonomists are working on regarding the Theraphosa genus...
And the answer was "no idea when"...:(

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The info I'd like Fran:

Is how is your Female w/ the cool overhang environment Doin' - Sacked like Aaron Rodgers or what ? :D GL - J

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thats cool! always great to chat about something! even better when its about big spiders!

enjoy your day Falk!

The second T is the same spider as the first T just after a fresh molt!--
Just kidding! ill send you some pics of the couple i have to see what you think!

Have a great day!
I almost believe you lol

Jon3800

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think perhaps, I'm the only person on youtube that has made a video showing the major differentiation between the 3 species.

Like Fran says, they're relatively easy to tell apart if you have a good eye and look closely. Differences are visible as adults (even I tell geniculata apart from brocklehursti). However, the striking difference are as spiderlings. I've made many changes to my labels for this particular species...first thought it was T.blondi...then found out it was actuallyT. sp.burgundy/ T.spinipes, now it's called T.stirmi.

I don't want to get involved in these arguments started by theMack. It is what it is, and I just accept it.

Last edited: