Yet another Theraphosa "sp" thread

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not to beat the dead horse, but certain people in the hobby dont really help the mess sometimes we have misslabing the sp.

For several months, and even though the revision regarding the "Burgundy/Spnipies" and the whole Theraphosa genus has not been yet presented, is getting quite clear that T.Blondi and T."sp burgundy" are 2 diff specie.

It doesnt help at all that, when I contact some of the hobbiests and some of the dealers regarding their "Blondi" in stock, after requesting for pictures that clearly show they are not Theraphosa Blondi and after explaining them that what they have does not seem to be correct...They still misslabel them.

Some being just hard headed about it, some others just doing it to make the sale.

I understand that till the revision is presented is not wise to give them the "Spinipes" name,
BUT
At least, be honest, respect the rest of us and make a notation or explain that it might not be a true Theraphosa Blondi.
Out of accuracy, out of respect for the hobbysts...and so we dont waste our time requesting pictures.

Only ONE person I have talked to regarding this issure has made an honest change on the labels on his stock. ONE.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Confirmed species are probably easier to sell.

PhobeToPhile

Arachnoknight
In that case, just present the absract of the to be published paper. Which reminds me, do we have any idea when it will be out?

IMO, it might also be due to people still considering them to be the "same" until the paper is out. Recent memories of the Great Debate, Round 2 are still fresh in my mind...

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hardly any dealers EVER key out their stock. only a couple of the CA dealers i know are really even that concerned about it, it seems like

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm not gonna point any fingers here but there's tons of dealers who don't take the time to properly identify there stock and even more that don't know how to ID certain species.Take Haplopelma for example..I cant tell you how many spiders are sold with the wrong species name or silly made up common names!
If you visit some reptile show's you will see this at about as worst as it can get lol!Some of the dealers look at me like I'm crazy if I try and tell them info or they just think I'm some kind of jerk know it all D:
Regarding the sp."Burgundy" it's almost safe to say that the majority of blondi being sold in the US hobby currently are not the real T.blondi!As I'm sure you already know ;]
I will assume this problem with labeling will prob still be present after the mentioned papers are published.Truth to the matter tho is the real T.blondi are becoming super rare!Here at least..So I expect to see some big price tags on the real thing when they do show up!
-Chris

1truth

Arachnopeon
So most of the blondi's in the trade are actually the burgandy then?

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how long has it been like this?
I am guessing since the great days where they started to evolve I bet they were saying something along the lines of: "Hey guys, how about some of us shave our legs, and some of us don't so once we get taken by those big creatures we will make it difficult for them to identify which is which and will confuse their whole hobby!" I am thinking somewhere along those lines, but who knows. :rolleyes:

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am guessing since the great days where they started to evolve I bet they were saying something along the lines of: "Hey guys, how about some of us shave our legs, and some of us don't so once we get taken by those big creatures we will make it difficult for them to identify which is which and will confuse their whole hobby!" I am thinking somewhere along those lines, but who knows. :rolleyes:
Yeah, some of us shave our legs and put some nice white socks on our 4 front legs.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha yeah, I don't really know that much about the difference of the two, or the genus that much at all. I really need to look up on it, so I will go search for it later for a good read. Now it makes me want a real T. blondi. I always wanted a T. apophysis but other T's always came first.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Check "Philth" pictures around :).

I have the 3 of them, only 1 true Blondi.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
fran, i am curious as to how you came to that conclusion?

did you key them out or check them against species descriptions?

just cuz there is a bit of variation in color or some relatively minor morphological characteristic doesn't necessarily mean different species

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
fran, i am curious as to how you came to that conclusion?

did you key them out or check them against species descriptions?

just cuz there is a bit of variation in color or some relatively minor morphological characteristic doesn't necessarily mean different species

To be quit honest, besides observing the obvious diferences and reading a lot on the matter around, I completely trusted the word of the "authorities" on the matter, like Rick West and company.

Based on that and on the short conversations via mail I have had with some of them, I think I am able to diferenciate them. Am I 100% right? Not at all, till the papers come out.

The Mack

Arachnosquire
It seems funny that people are so concerned about this. Officially as of now, there are only two species in the Theraphosa genus. T. blondi and T. apophysis . . .and even the distinction between these two can be very difficult to make! A few variations among individuals of the same species hardly merits classifying them as separate species and/or re-labeling them!

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I tried to stay out of this one but.....

It seems funny that people are so concerned about this. Officially as of now, there are only two species in the Theraphosa genus. T. blondi and T. apophysis . . .and even the distinction between these two can be very difficult to make! A few variations among individuals of the same species hardly merits classifying them as separate species and/or re-labeling them!
How many "variations" , merit a new species? Whats the rule? New species or not, why would you mix 2 spiders that have obvious differences from s'lings to adulthood???? Like I have said over and over again:wall:..... if you were breeding panther chameleons or green tree pythons, ect....you would get crucified on there boards for mixing locals.

T. blondi and T. apophysis . . .and even the distinction between these two can be very difficult to make!

I disagree, see these pics. Once you've seen the 3 spiders in person, they are pretty easy to tell apart.

Later, Tom

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well mr if they have different looking spermatechae:wall: