Yet another spider identification thread...this one eats other spiders.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Wow, I am in California and I have caught a couple spiders that look like that! This was last year though. I haven't seen them around this year. I don't know if it is the same spider or not. hmmm. I hope I see them again so I can catch it and post pictures!

SEB

Arachnosquire
Wow, this is the coolest thing I've read all week. Great job xhexdx on the find and actually taking to the time to get the find published along with everyone else who helped.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I know Erik! Haven't read his blog in a little bit, but he moderates on spiders.us with Mandy and company, (Seattle scarabs). Great guy, really solid entomologist too.

robertwhyte

Arachnopeon
HI all, I know this is an old thread and the author must know it was since identified, as the pictures appeared in a very important article
  • Edwards & Stiles, 2011 - The first North American records of the synanthropic spider Cithaeron praedonius O. P.-Cambridge (Araneae: Gnaphosoidea: Cithaeronidae), with notes on its biology G. B. Edwards & Joe T. Stiles
I was given permission by the authors to post the pictures here
http://arachne.org.au/01_cms/details.asp?ID=2572
It is Cithaeron praedonius 0. P.-Cambridge 1872

Illusion

Arachnosquire
HI all, I know this is an old thread and the author must know it was since identified, as the pictures appeared in a very important article
  • Edwards & Stiles, 2011 - The first North American records of the synanthropic spider Cithaeron praedonius O. P.-Cambridge (Araneae: Gnaphosoidea: Cithaeronidae), with notes on its biology G. B. Edwards & Joe T. Stiles
I was given permission by the authors to post the pictures here
http://arachne.org.au/01_cms/details.asp?ID=2572
It is Cithaeron praedonius 0. P.-Cambridge 1872
Failed to read the whole thread did we? :p

robertwhyte

Arachnopeon
I've caught three or four of these in the house over the last couple months. Tried feeding roaches and crickets with no luck. Decided to throw in one of the common 'house spiders' that have invaded my Florida room, and what do you know...

(I know the pictures are huge...I wanted to get as much detail as I could when I uploaded them)

DLS is ~1", and I'm in Florida.

Thanks in advance for any help identifying this sucker.
It looks to me like Cithaeron praedonius, in fact it is Cithaeronidae Cithaeron praedonius, and furthermore this photo is from a paper which talks about its presence in Florida. But this thread is 2011 so I guess it's all sorted. It may even be the source of the pictures and specimens for the paper. Is it?

robertwhyte

Arachnopeon
It looks to me like Cithaeron praedonius, in fact it is Cithaeronidae Cithaeron praedonius, and furthermore this photo is from a paper which talks about its presence in Florida. But this thread is 2011 so I guess it's all sorted. It may even be the source of the pictures and specimens for the paper. Is it?
Oooooooh. I'm getting a deja vu man.