Yet another spider ID *pic*

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It is hard to say exactly from the picture but it looks like Metacyrba undata. Was the guy about half an inch long? That is a great pic by the way, i love jumpers.

Bobby

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Looks like it could be a Phidippus sp. Hard to tell without more detail.

Cheers,
Dave

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is 100% a member of the jumping spider family, but need a better pic for ID.

Andy

RMBolton

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the input guys! The spider was almost exactly 1/2" long. At the very least I just wanted to share the picture, so thanks for the tips on identification.
Cheers,
Ryan

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think it's a male Phidippus borealis (you might wanty to do an image search through google). I've had about a dozen of these same spiders, males and females, around my house this year. I even got to watch them mating. I have lots of pictures of various males, if you'd like to see some. One interesting thing I've noticed is the pattern on the back of the male's opisthesoma varies slightly from one spider to another, like our fingerprints do between us. Specifically, the orange flecks or cheverons in between the braod bands are different for different spiders. So, I've been able to identify and follow specific individuals from day to day, based on their individual markings.

Nice to see these spiders can be found across Canada (I'm in Alberta).

John Sloan

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here are examples of how the pattern on top of the opisthisoma can vary from one spider to another. These are fromtwo different spiders, which I believe are both Phidippus borealis.

(Sorry for the picture quality. I had to reduce them quite a bit to satisfy the posting requirements. I'd be glad to email the originals to anyone who's interested)

John Sloan

Last edited:

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
By a lucky chance I came across this male on the outside of my house this evening and managed to get some pictures. This one has more orange on its opisthosoma than the two I posted earlier; quite a contrast!

John Sloan

Last edited: