Yet another Aussie mygalomorph... A rare one

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So I went out today and managed to find one of my most desired species. From what I understand, quite a rare one. It is a large nemesiid species, xamiatus rubrifrons. Enjoy :)

Josh

Entomancer

Arachnobaron
I find it painfully ironic that aussie hobbyists can't have the more commonly-kept/bred species of herps/inverts that we have, and at the same time we can't have many of the more unique species of herps/inverts that they have in their relative vicinity.

Nice find; hopefully someone finds a way to legalize some of the aussie animals for the pet trade.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I find it painfully ironic that aussie hobbyists can't have the more commonly-kept/bred species of herps/inverts that we have, and at the same time we can't have many of the more unique species of herps/inverts that they have in their relative vicinity.

Nice find; hopefully someone finds a way to legalize some of the aussie animals for the pet trade.
Thanks Guys. THis was one of my number one species to find. They are supposed to be very hard to find. I knew you would like this one Apple. THis spider is only a juvie. They are supposed to get quite large.... 5" legspan or so. As for keeping Aussie natives..... Most species can't even be kept by the Aussies. They are very strict here. Most of the native stuff here got into the hobby illegaly. Would be nice if some of these other mygalomorphs from Aussie made it into the hobby. Most of them are far nicer looking than the Aussie tarantulas.

I found some HUGE hadronyche infensa (toowoomba funnelwebs) yesterday. I'll have to post some pics later :)

Drezno

Arachnopeon
Geez, that thing is intense. Never been too interested in mygalomorphs until now!

Drezno

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas are in the infra-order Mygalomorphae, just FYI.

Gotcha. I have never been too clear on all the infra-order stuff, and since I always see funnel-webs and the like just referred to as mygalomorphs I lazily assumed that it was some sort of classification that excluded tarantulas. I amend my statement to the now (hopefully) correct:

Never been too interested in non-tarantula mygalomorphs until now!

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great spider, that thing looks mean! I'm gonna have to go to Australia one day lol you guys got some unique things thriving out there

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Gotcha. I have never been too clear on all the infra-order stuff, and since I always see funnel-webs and the like just referred to as mygalomorphs I lazily assumed that it was some sort of classification that excluded tarantulas. I amend my statement to the now (hopefully) correct:

Never been too interested in non-tarantula mygalomorphs until now!
Your in WA? The funnel-webs you see in WA that are big belong to the family Agelenidae, in the infra-order Araneomorphae.

Basically there are two main infra-orders, Araneomorphae (true spiders) this order includes black widows, daddy long legs, wolf spiders, fishing spiders, orb weavers, jumping spiders etc.
The other is Mygalomorphae (Primitive spiders) which tend to be larger (not always) and have big old fangs, etc. These are tarantulas, trapdoor spiders, purse web spiders, Funnel-web spiders (not agelenids which are also funnel-web spiders) & Mouse spiders.

Araneomorph http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araneomorphae
Mygalomorph http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mygalomorphae

There are a few other odd ball infra-orders that contain lampshade spiders, Carrai cave spiders, etc. but they are uncommon, and you wont probably ever hear about them again apart from me just mentioning it.

Drezno

Arachnopeon
Your in WA? The funnel-webs you see in WA that are big belong to the family Agelenidae, in the infra-order Araneomorphae.
Interesting. I wasn't aware that hobo spiders are referred to as funnel-webs, though I guess it makes sense. I just mean that my original confusion about the nomenclature stemmed from references (like the title of this thread, for instance) to mygalomorphs that are obviously not tarantulas, which made me think that a mygalomorph was something completely different. Thanks for the explanation!

Tenebrae

Arachnopeon

They're plagued by invasive species such as the Cain Toad and Feral Cat, that's most likely why they're so strict on hobbyists having foreign species. The camels may have incorporated themselves into Australia without any damaging side effects, but the other species have caused some pretty wide spread devastation to the ecosystem. One just has to look at Flordia for a pretty good example of why one might want to do this with their country, I mean...we now have exotic constrictors and Giant King Cobras making our heated states their new breeding grounds due to having escaped enclosures into ideal circumstances.

I, for one, wasn't shocked that the constrictors made out well upon escape...but I never even thought about the King Cobras, of which have been found breeding upon their escape. With such ideal conditions...we may have some extremely large, and dangerous, serpents out and about...not that I, personally, mind due to my adoration of snakes...but they may cause some pretty devastating results on an already delicate Everglade ecosystem. Hopefully, like the Camels in Aussi, they incorperate well here without causing too much damage...and find themselves a nice little niche alongside everything else. I'd love to see how King Cobras adapt to our country...

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're plagued by invasive species such as the Cain Toad and Feral Cat, that's most likely why they're so strict on hobbyists having foreign species. The camels may have incorporated themselves into Australia without any damaging side effects, but the other species have caused some pretty wide spread devastation to the ecosystem. One just has to look at Flordia for a pretty good example of why one might want to do this with their country, I mean...we now have exotic constrictors and Giant King Cobras making our heated states their new breeding grounds due to having escaped enclosures into ideal circumstances.

I, for one, wasn't shocked that the constrictors made out well upon escape...but I never even thought about the King Cobras, of which have been found breeding upon their escape. With such ideal conditions...we may have some extremely large, and dangerous, serpents out and about...not that I, personally, mind due to my adoration of snakes...but they may cause some pretty devastating results on an already delicate Everglade ecosystem. Hopefully, like the Camels in Aussi, they incorperate well here without causing too much damage...and find themselves a nice little niche alongside everything else. I'd love to see how King Cobras adapt to our country...
A majority of invasive animal species didn't get there due to the hobby. Florida is an expetion and a freak situation. Australia has some very rare ecosystem and very unique, endemic flora and fauna. Yes, they want to protect that ecosystem from invasive species, pathogens, etc..... The cane toad, feral cats, feral dogs, camels, fire ants, etc are all non native, invasive species brought here by the government.... Not by hobbyists. Its funny how the biggest invasive species are typically brought in by the government (F&W) or agriculture, overseas trading, etc and NOT by the hobby. The hobby has contributed to VERY LITTLE invasive species populating an area....... That is, with exception of Florida :) While I do see Australias desire not to become the next Florida, I don't see why they have to be as strict as they are. There are MANY species that, if got loose, would not survive in ANY habitat that Australia has to offer... I find it strange that axolotls are legal here. There are perfect eco-nitches here they would happily fill..... But, I guess thats just the way it is hey....

Tenebrae

Arachnopeon
A majority of invasive animal species didn't get there due to the hobby. Florida is an expetion and a freak situation. Australia has some very rare ecosystem and very unique, endemic flora and fauna. Yes, they want to protect that ecosystem from invasive species, pathogens, etc..... The cane toad, feral cats, feral dogs, camels, fire ants, etc are all non native, invasive species brought here by the government.... Not by hobbyists. Its funny how the biggest invasive species are typically brought in by the government (F&W) or agriculture, overseas trading, etc and NOT by the hobby. The hobby has contributed to VERY LITTLE invasive species populating an area....... That is, with exception of Florida :) While I do see Australias desire not to become the next Florida, I don't see why they have to be as strict as they are. There are MANY species that, if got loose, would not survive in ANY habitat that Australia has to offer... I find it strange that axolotls are legal here. There are perfect eco-nitches here they would happily fill..... But, I guess thats just the way it is hey....
Well,

It wasn't my intention to imply that these invasive species were brought in by hobbyists of Australia. I honestly can't fathom a hobbyist taking any heavy interest in Cane Toads or Camels, haha. I was simply expressing that it undoubtedly had a heavy impact on how exotic animals are viewed, resulting in heavy restrictions to avoid the mistakes made in the past. Basically, a "lets not take any more risks" type of situation.

We're pretty much screwed when it comes to Florida. The ecosystem is so heavily geared towards ideal serpent conditions that everything in which has escaped seems to be doing quite well. As far as I know, the only serpents they have found breeding consisted of the constrictors and Giant King Cobras...but with all the Green and Black Mamba sightings...it's likely that they too are doing fairly well...granted not nearly as much so as the former types. The only real thing that can be done about it is hope for the best...the likelihood of getting rid of them now is about as strong as Australia getting rid of their Cane Toad problem.

Anything done could potentially lead to further damage... So, time to educate our citizens on the habits regarding these new snakes...they're likely here to stay, and are slowly spreading up the East Coast. But yeah, my point was mainly that the invasive species are most likely what brought on such strict bans and regulations. The invasive serpents over here have brought talk of banning exotic herps and the like...

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You are right, in that the invasive species have indeed given the hobby a negative view. Many of these animals, even in florida, also came from zoos and institutions. When the hurricanes blow through and destroy one of these facilities, the animals escape, contributing to the mess.

As for Australia, a LARGE majority of exotics couldn't survive here. The government is punnishing everybody here due to their own screw up. That just seems unfair. It goes beyond exotics as well...... Aussies are not allowed to keep MOST of their natives, and can only do so IF the proper permit is granted...... IF...... It's really difficult to keep many herps here. Theraphosids and urodacids are also protected here... as well as ALL life forms in Western Australia. You can't even legally catch and keep a cockroach there. They could fine you for that. Florida is not leading a good example for the pet trade, however. As you stated, it is causing concern and potential ban of the pet trade all together..... Will be interesting to see what becomes of our beloved hobby....

Do you have a link to an article on king cobras breeding in Florida?? All I could find is a man bitten by one hiding in an electrical box. I would love to read something on this.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I found 3 more of these last night. I'm hoping I can now get some captive breeding going :)