Yesterday's pet shop horror story

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Walking through Warrington and thought I'd pop into the pet shop to pick up some locusts and see what they have on sale.

Usually it's just P.Imps.

Anyhow, walked past a few T's and a few Lizards when I came to a 'Giant blue forest scorpion' or Heterometrus longimanus as it said in latin next to it.

I looked in...... quite small with a brown telson. Looked just like a P.Imp. I asked the owner if I could get it down to take a look, he said of course.

It was definately a P.Imp, but on closer inspection it only had 7 legs. My first thoughts were that it was lost prior to him buying it, in captivity before hand. However, I examined the substrate (Yes, green sand) and there it was.... the leg. I have no idea how this was lost, all I can presume is that the lack of humidity played a part in this?

Then the best bit came..... my girlfriend was saying how awfull it was and the owner said to her "Don't worry, it'll grow back".

What an idiot. That's the indoor market in Warrington centre by the way, UK.

hadrurus 666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it is amazing how people with no knowledge of scorpions can be responsible for them. In my opinion a person owning or selling scorpions should have to pass a basic test beforehand. It would prevent many unecessary deaths and injuries.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it is amazing how people with no knowledge of scorpions can be responsible for them. In my opinion a person owning or selling scorpions should have to pass a basic test beforehand. It would prevent many unecessary deaths and injuries.
Yeah but that can be said true of every kind of pet sold.

It's a compassionate thing to save an animal suffering negliance and improper care but also doesn't teach the seller any proper lessons either.

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
man,,i bet they have books on scorpions in the shop.obviously that guy is not big on reading up on the animals he has for sale.

Calucifer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have an idea. Let's chop the owner's leg, and tell him "it'll grow back"

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I've just sat and read all these horror stories, why not report them to the proper authorities and be done with it, these LPS don't care about animal welfare, all they care for is cash, glad I don't see that very often in the U.K. I'd end up being banned from every LPS in the U.S. or jailed, what a sad state of affairs........

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I've just sat and read all these horror stories, why not report them to the proper authorities and be done with it, these LPS don't care about animal welfare, all they care for is cash, glad I don't see that very often in the U.K. I'd end up being banned from every LPS in the U.S. or jailed, what a sad state of affairs........
Did you do the proper satanic ritual before reviving this thread that's from 2007?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
This post is an old one but the thread I posted to was from the date given.........