yes,yet another rose hair question,but not one of the commonly asked questions

motorteipidpa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im wondering if my rose hair is wild caught or not.its juvenile around 2.5" it molted twice in the year i have it and i got it wen it was around 1.5".im assuming that all rosies at pet stores are wild caught,and out of all the times i have seen rosies in pet shops there were all adults exept for one time i seen a 2" juvenile that looked exactly like mine,and that made me wonder,can my spider me WC?the person i got it from said it was CB.but i seen the specimen in the pet store that was probably wild caught so im just wondering.i always assumed that only adult rosies were imported to america for some reason.
Tom

Attachments

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hard to say without knowing where it came from. If came from a pet store it is probally WC.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well then it may very well be captive bred. I'm not sure that small specimens would be desirable by importers.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by jwb121377
Well then it may very well be captive bred. I'm not sure that small specimens would be desirable by importers.
Not necessarily true, I don't know about today, but back in the 80s before CITES, you could often get juvenile B. smithis and such from stores. The longest lived spider I've had to date was a smithi that I had for 16-17 years that I got as a small juvenile (admittedly, not that small, though).

But, I agree, if you got it from another hobbyist, there is a very good chance it was CB. What few roses are CB in the US probably all wind up with invert enthusiasts as opposed to a pet store. Why would a pet store spend $5-$6 for a sling, when a WC adult costs $2-$3?

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This certainly wouldn't be anything to definitively answer your Q but when you acquired it, was it's abdomen nice and fat looking? Or, did it look pretty slim like the common w/c sized abdomen?

Atrax

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Not necessarily true, I don't know about today, but back in the 80s before CITES, you could often get juvenile B. smithis and such from stores. The longest lived spider I've had to date was a smithi that I had for 16-17 years that I got as a small juvenile
True. Now that I think about it importers will probally take every single rosie they see. I just thought that a smaller sized rosie may be passed up by the local catchers. I know pet stores arent going to pay the price for cb when wc is so much cheeper.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Could the fact that juveniles are less seen in the wild have anything to do with the infrequency of seeing WC ones in shops?

Bill

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Could the fact that juveniles are less seen in the wild have anything to do with the infrequency of seeing WC ones in shops?
Seems possible, if the behavior of our captive slings is any indicator, the littler they are, the less bold they are about being seen in the open.

That, or it may just be the obvious that they don't pay the locals as much for smaller specimens so they're less frequent. I'd sure hate to be trying to feed my family on catching spiders when *after* they've been imported, they're moved to the distributors at about $1-$2 a head. They must be paying the locals all of a quarter for them, if that. I could make more money dumpster diving for aluminum cans here in the U.S.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
could be either...

Hard to say as it could be either WC or CB the chances of either are pretty much equal.
And to answer the Monkeys question about why would a pet store pay $5 to $6 for a sling that's simple. Not saying that this is the case in this instance as I don't know what store or how many they had but when you get imports not all are always adults. Quite often if you buy freshly imported spiders in any bulk at all you will get an assortment of sizes. Just a while back I got some freshly imported cobalts and they ranged from nearly grown to just a tad over an inch and a half. That's just one of the things that happens when you get stock from an importer.. you don't always know what size they will be as they usually don't tell you they simply say they are all sub adult to adult. Now this is certainly not a knock on the importers as you can't beat their prices. You just have to be a business as they tend not to sell to the public and you have to shell out some serious coin to meet the minimum order depending on whom you use.
Phil