Yep you guessed it...another noob question šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Hello all this is sort of a few questions in one šŸ¤” I was told by pet shop not to pester my new T straight away which is just common sense I guess coz I would be annoyed after being in a parcel all day I've had fang for about 20 hours now being very small only 5cm, I was wondering when is fang a safe size to handle as I hear of ppl dropping and either killing or almost killing their T so I assume a drop for a little spider could be fatal also fang is a Mexican fireleg I hear they like temps between 21 and 25 degrees c during winter and anything from 22 to 30 degrees c during summer it's winter here Im just paranoid about letting temp go right to 25 if it's gonna make fang uncomfortable, the T shop also said not to feed it for a few days but they weren't very specific is 48 hours ok or should I wait longer I know u can't always listen to pet shops so it just puts doubt in my mind if I follow their advice, I was also told twice a week is how often I should feed it is this correct? I have medium silent crickets if these are too big would fang be able to eat them if I killed the poor lil dudes 1st. Sorry for the huge paragraph and as always thank you for your help šŸ˜

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Never handle your T! Go return this animal immediately and get a pet that you can handle :rolleyes:

Feeding on a schedule is something people do out of convenience- Iā€™ve never done it because itā€™s not needed and for certain size Ts and species is not healthy.

Next time just list your questions 1,2,3 makes it easier and SAVES TIME

No one knows what species you have by that common name, as that name fits quite a few MX species

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Hands off. The bigger and heavier your spider gets, the more dangerous even a short drop becomes.
Keep it warm and feed it when it needs to eat. Try for once a week. If it starts getting chunky or refusing food, cut back accordingly.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I really wouldn't handle it, honestly. Mostly because they're much more fragile than they seem. It also can be stressful for the spider. I like to compare tarantulas to fish...they're pets that are fascinating to observe, but not something that you should handle. You can try feeding your spider right away and see if it eats, but it's possible that it may not eat right away since it' adjusting to a new environment. You can pre-kill the prey if you're concerned that it's too large. Some smaller tarantulas will scavenge.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys it's weird that ppl handle them if it really is that bad for them I always assumed it was ok as long as it's not done too often if it's stressful for it I'm not sure I'll handle it much now if at all it's strange that I've been places where u can hold them I held a chilian rose I think it was called like why would they let us hold them if the know its bad for them

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Handling a tarantula is much like handling a fish, it makes for a cool picture, however even if you aren't likely to get hurt, you are putting the animal at unnecessary risk of injury and/or death. There is absolutely no benefit to the animal (spider or fish) in handling it. Tarantulas make great pets to watch and observe in their enclosures, there are a number of other animals to choose from if you want a pet to hold and physically interact with.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Never handle your T! Go return this animal immediately and get a pet that you can handle :rolleyes:

Feeding on a schedule is something people do out of convenience- Iā€™ve never done it because itā€™s not needed and for certain size Ts and species is not healthy.

Next time just list your questions 1,2,3 makes it easier and SAVES TIME

No one knows what species you have by that common name, as that name fits quite a few MX species
It said on the site its a brachypelma boehmei

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks guys it's weird that ppl handle them if it really is that bad for them I always assumed it was ok as long as it's not done too often if it's stressful for it I'm not sure I'll handle it much now if at all it's strange that I've been places where u can hold them I held a chilian rose I think it was called like why would they let us hold them if the know its bad for them
Why? Because many humans are selfish pieces of crap, and people donā€™t do the RIGHT thing

Itā€™s like asking why do people speed in car.

It said on the site its a brachypelma boehmei
Iā€™ve owned that one. If thatā€™s what you have itā€™s a highly, highly flicky species. Good luck with those urticating setae

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Handling a tarantula is much like handling a fish, it makes for a cool picture, however even if you aren't likely to get hurt, you are putting the animal at unnecessary risk of injury and/or death. There is absolutely no benefit to the animal (spider or fish) in handling it. Tarantulas make great pets to watch and observe in their enclosures, there are a number of other animals to choose from if you want a pet to hold and physically interact with.
I'll still keep it either way I love the spider I've only had it a day h
Iā€™ve owned that one. If thatā€™s what you have itā€™s a highly, highly flicky species. Good luck with those urticating setae
Yea I've heard about that I'd rather that than a bite though

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'll still keep it either way I love the spider I've only had it a day h

Yea I've heard about that I'd rather that than a bite though
It gets annoying thought esp when all you do is put a cricket inside to feed and their defensive attitude goes off

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
No offence meant at all OP, but with all the questions you've posted over the past couple of days, I really do think that you should have done your research in to keeping T's before purchasing one, let alone researching the husbandry requirements of a specific Genus/Species.

Still! Too late now and you've definitely come to the right place for some amazing advice.

In regards to your questions, I'd advise a hands-off policy. Never handle. But, you paid for the T, so ultimately it's your choice what risks you take. Keep spooder warm, try not to get too anxious about specific temps. They're hardy creatures. Feed according to abdomen size. Looking a little small? Feed! Either live prey or pre-killed, T's will scavenge when hungry. Just be sure to remove any uneaten prey after 24 hours to prevent mould. Some of my slings don't like live prey very much so I cut up a roach and give them all a piece. Goes pretty far and I'll see them having a nibble later on.

Good luck.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
No offence meant at all OP, but with all the questions you've posted over the past couple of days, I really do think that you should have done your research in to keeping T's before purchasing one, let alone researching the husbandry requirements of a specific Genus/Species.

Still! Too late now and you've definitely come to the right place for some amazing advice.

In regards to your questions, I'd advise a hands-off policy. Never handle. But, you paid for the T, so ultimately it's your choice what risks you take. Keep spooder warm, try not to get too anxious about specific temps. They're hardy creatures. Feed according to abdomen size. Looking a little small? Feed! Either live prey or pre-killed, T's will scavenge when hungry. Just be sure to remove any uneaten prey after 24 hours to prevent mould. Some of my slings don't like live prey very much so I cut up a roach and give them all a piece. Goes pretty far and I'll see them having a nibble later on.

Good luck.
Cool thanks for ur help I may handle it once or twice fang probably won't allow it lol

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
as many have said "handling is a risk" this risks with slings increases as they can be fast and may bolt (and you lose the T. So @ this juncture the notion of handling is a no. Second, you have a B Boehmi, and though they are known as pretty docile Ts they have a propensity to throw hairs. So you have 2 strikes against handling. 3rd, you are new to this which means your inexperience will work against you in the process. So let Fang grow up, just observe and watch it. As you feed it you may see it flicking hairs, which would mean any attempt at handling would result in the same. So give it a few years before even considering it. At that point you may have lost the desire, but at least at that point you will know your T better and can make an informed decision

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
as many have said "handling is a risk" this risks with slings increases as they can be fast and may bolt (and you lose the T. So @ this juncture the notion of handling is a no. Second, you have a B Boehmi, and though they are known as pretty docile Ts they have a propensity to throw hairs. So you have 2 strikes against handling. 3rd, you are new to this which means your inexperience will work against you in the process. So let Fang grow up, just observe and watch it. As you feed it you may see it flicking hairs, which would mean any attempt at handling would result in the same. So give it a few years before even considering it. At that point you may have lost the desire, but at least at that point you will know your T better and can make an informed decision
Yea that's a pretty good idea to be honest like u said I'm very new and it could go wrong and it would help if I knew more about Ts first study the behaviour and body language

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Yea that's a pretty good idea to be honest like u said I'm very new and it could go wrong and it would help if I knew more about Ts first study the behaviour and body language
if it's female you will have it for close to 30 years, if Male maybe 10. You have plenty of time, T's teach us patience

maddog1219

Arachnosquire
yea like what people have been saying I would refrain from holding your T. I have made my mistakes in the past when holding and that's why I don't handle them anymore. As for temps I really wouldn't worry uless your temps are getting in the low 60's or the 90's, there pretty hardy creatures when it comes to temps. Keeping it at higher temps will make it grow faster and keeping it at lower temps will make it grow slower which isn't bad for your T

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Cool thanks for ur help I may handle it once or twice fang probably won't allow it lol
Told explicitly why you shouldnā€™t hold T. Disregard all info.

Me: Hey op, donā€™t drink the spoiled milk, itā€™ll give you diarrhea.
Op: Proceeds to drink milk and crap his pants.
Me: shaking my head in disbelief.
Op: Iā€™ll do it again..

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Told explicitly why you shouldnā€™t hold T. Disregard all info.

Me: Hey op, donā€™t drink the spoiled milk, itā€™ll give you diarrhea.
Op: Proceeds to drink milk and crap his pants.
Me: shaking my head in disbelief.
Op: Iā€™ll do it again..
Well lol once or twice won't hurt ( farts brown cloud)