Yellow Thick-Tail

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok,Heres the deal.
I ordered a scorp on-line labaled yellow thick-tail.I have come to know thick-tails as Parabuthus spp..So I was hoping it was a P.mossambicensis or some thing of that nature.Boy was I wrong!When it showed up today it was a A.australis.I only payed 15$ for it so I'm happy with it.But the only thing is I have no clue what to keep the humidity at.So if anyone can let me know that would be great.So I can atleast keep it healthy intell I can trade it off for a Parabuthus spp..Thank you
Darren

BaronFel181

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A. australis can be kept the same way as P. mossambicensis, warm and dry.

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's a desert species, so humidity is not an issue. They're great scorps, but as you probably already know, don't cuddle with it on a cold night! :D

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My guess is P. liosoma, it's not uncommon to recieve H. trilineatus as a yellow thick tail on the common pet market as well.

ReptileMan27

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice addition :),be careful though,they are fast and dangerous,there like a 4 or a 5 on the list of 1 to 5 of venom.

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
drapion said:
Ok,Heres the deal.
I ordered a scorp on-line labaled yellow thick-tail.I have come to know thick-tails as Parabuthus spp..So I was hoping it was a P.mossambicensis or some thing of that nature.Boy was I wrong!When it showed up today it was a A.australis.I only payed 15$ for it so I'm happy with it.But the only thing is I have no clue what to keep the humidity at.So if anyone can let me know that would be great.So I can atleast keep it healthy intell I can trade it off for a Parabuthus spp..Thank you
Darren
The thickest tails belong to Androctonus first and the next biggest tails belong to the Parabuthis. either one be very carefull ! and good luck, and post some pix if ya can !

BaronFel181

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A. australis is definately a 5 on the venom scale. This scorp causes THE MOST DEATHS PER YEAR of any species. Be extremely careful.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Drapion-

A very nice addition to your collection! Just keep it hot and dry, with a bit of substrate and a simple hide. Use only a single hide in order to know where your scorp is at all times when working in the enclosure to reduce potential risks to yourself or the scorp. However, to be honest, in my experience, I've yet to meet an "aggressive" Androctonus spp. Most will quickly retreat into a nearby scrape when the enclosure is disturbed. Most of mine tend to be a bit lazy and just spend their time lounging about their rocks and occasionally, taking a walk-about around the enclosure. Most of my gals are LT captives and common disturbances do not cause a reaction of flight anymore. Instead, they just remain resting while I do a bit of cleaning in their enclosures - I've yet to have one become defensive unless I get too close to their resting position with the forceps or spoon. Good luck!

Luc

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:( The scorp was dead when I checked on it about 2 hours after it showed up.the guy how sent it to me packed it crappy(a large tupperwear container with only 2 paper towels just thrown in it)When I took it out of the box it was realy cold to the touch.The scorp rolled from the top to the bottem of the container.but it moved alittle so I thought it would be ok.So I set it in a kritter keeper with a heat rock resting on the side of it.But when I checked on him he was in the same spot i put him and was limp :mad: These are the same pics I sent the guy I bought it from.He hasn't returned my message.

Last edited:

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Probably trauma due to the shoddy packing job. Someone once dropped one of my Androctonus scorps off of a table, she was dead within three or four hours. It really sucks, I'd persue a refund for animal and shipping in full and never do business with this person again.

=Jan=

Arachnopeon
btw,
this doesnt look like an A. australis, the metasoma is way too small.
Might have been A. amoureuxi, but too hard to tell on that photos.
Anyway, hope ull get ur money back and have better luck next time.
See ya
Jan

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
=Jan= said:
btw,
See ya
Jan
To me it looks like an A. australis for sure!

Sorry about your luck :( . Definitely look into getting your money back IN FULL!

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What are you going to do with it? I would love to have it in my collection of mounted inverts :drool: !!

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
=Jan= said:
btw,
See ya
Jan
Definitely A. australis, look at the build of the carapace and then the metesoma; It won't always look really thick from this angle, especially concerning the fact that it may still have had a little bit of growing to do.