Yellow Sac Spiders 06-10-2016

Roy1982

Arachnopeon
That's my video I took. He/she is in a Pyrex container.

Shot with a Panasonic Lumix Lx7 (1080p, 28Mbps, 30FPS)

Sorry if it's not that clear, I tried my best.

So here's my story.

Night 1 : Baby Yellow Sac Spider crawling on the ceiling, coming from behind the 32" LED TV I use as my PC screen, killed it, 2AM-4AM, Late Night.

Night 2 : House Centipede, caught it in a plastic container, let it go outside around 2AM-4AM, LATE NIGHT. Found scurrying on the floor.

Night 3 : Baby Yellow Sac Spider, came from same location, same time, caught it in a Pyrex Container, kept it for 3 days, and then let it go by the flower bed.

Tried to feed the little thing black ants, but they were injured, and I don't think the spider ate any of them. It made webbing under the silicone lid.

http://imgur.com/a/I9bus

LEGEND :
Red Dot : where I found the two Yellow Sac Spiders.
Green line : is where I sealed up the wall. It's paneling, with Lathe and Plaster behind it.

Old house, Extremely poor insulation up here. Very Hot during the Summer, and very cold during the winter. It takes a 8,100 BTU Ac to cool it up here, and it takes 3kW, or two heaters from different circuits to make it warm up here. But it's doable, and I can afford the cost.

Besides minor clutter, which I plan on fixing, building a shelving system with lumber from Lowes. There is ZERO food particles on the floor, and ZERO bugs.

I've seen these guys before in NYS. These are in PA, USA.

They've followed me, lol.

The first time I saw them, was in NYS. Laying on my bed on the floor, because my bed didn't have a frame, or anything, it stayed on the floor.

I was laying on my bed, watching videos on my crappy Sony via laptop, and something came on the screen. It was a spider. I said oh.. Hey little guy. and killed it.

couple minutes latter, another one..

couple minutes latter, but yet another one..

killed them.

I said WTH is going on here?

I said, where are you guys coming from?

Looked at the open window, and there was the biggest spider I've ever seen in my life.

Chills ran down my arms.

Threw a shoes at her.

It fell behind the foot of the bed. I was like, oh no you don't.

Moved the bed, and there she was. Just sitting there.

I KILLED HER. SMASH SMASH SMASH with my shoe. Guts everywhere.

Days latter. I felt bad, and still do. I totally understood what happened. She just had babies, and they needed a place to stay. It was raining and a little cold outside.

So... now I'm here in PA. About three years latter, and now they're back again. In a totally different state, in a totally different place.

I said ok.. I'm prepared this time. Let's see what kind of spiders you guys are on the 3rd night.

I have a really nice $400 camera, Pyrex containers, an Internet connection, etc.

I'm ready.

They are Yellow Sac Spiders.

I have a longer video, but it's bigger, and it's a little over 2GB, so I didn't upload it.. Yet.

So where's the mother this time?

I sealed up the wall, with nails and hot glue, and sealed up my AC unit with hot glue.

I honestly haven't seen anymore House Centipedes or Yellow Sac Spiders anywhere since the last one, and since I sealed up everything. Should of used Silicone sealant, but I didn't feel like waiting to go to Lowes or whatever and getting some. So that's what I used for now.

I'm going to take a guess and say she's either in the AC, or behind the wall.

Yes, I did research. They come out at night, or Twilight.

They are night hunters.

They eat non insect arthropods.

They will stay with the mother until like 17 days or something. After each night, they scurry back to the web, until it's night again.

etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Many years ago, I accidentally caught one in the rubber part of my fridge door and took off four of their legs. I felt horrible. I quickly put them into a 16oz deli container, with some tarantula substrate, bought them some mealworms and trickled water down the sides. In less than two weeks they had moulted and there were four brand new legs about half the length of the others. I was so happy. I gave them a couple of more mealworm meals and then let them go in my laundry room.
I have been bitten before and had to get an antibiotic for it... I had a pretty severe reaction. However, it is rare that they will bite as long as you leave them alone. I have a couple living in my apartment each winter and they just do their own thing and leave again in the spring.
A person on another forum I am on has one that he is keeping. That one looks more like a juvenile size. They don't get very large.
Here is the female who spent last winter with me...

Attachments