Old Timer
This is presumably a yellow variation of N. americanus
Specimen was collected from Wetumpka, AL

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
This is presumably a yellow variation of N. americanus
Specimen was collected from Wetumpka, AL

Beautiful millipede! :happy: If the legs were not red, I would wonder if it were not Anadenobolus modestior, which looks to me to have that coloration but black legs instead of red. The narrow yellow bands contrast attractively with the black, making them even more attractive than the brown-banded ones from Tuscaloosa County, AL pictured in Millipeds in Captivity! I hope you have great success with them! :)

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Lovely! I have two different tan phases. I'll post photos later. Some were sold as "tan" and some were sold as N. americanus. But they are clearly different.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Lovely! I have two different tan phases. I'll post photos later. Some were sold as "tan" and some were sold as N. americanus. But they are clearly different.
That's awesome! Where did you get them? I look forward to seeing them! :)

Lucanus95

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Beautiful millipede! :happy: If the legs were not red, I would wonder if it were not Anadenobolus modestior, which looks to me to have that coloration but black legs instead of red. The narrow yellow bands contrast attractively with the black, making them even more attractive than the brown-banded ones from Tuscaloosa County, AL pictured in Millipeds in Captivity! I hope you have great success with them! :)
Thanks :) Got pics of those brown banded ones by chance? I'm curious what they look like!

Beautiful Millipede! How many did you collect?

Wow, that's beautiful!

Ooh....I'd love to see pics of them!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
AGM Tan shades.JPG This is the range of tan shades in my N. americanus.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
AGM Tan white telson.JPG The ones sold to me as "Tan" are pale like this. Their telson is pale and the telson spike is white. Legs also white. I only have two and they are both female.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Thanks :) Got pics of those brown banded ones by chance? I'm curious what they look like!
I looked on BugGuide but couldn't find any that looked quite the same as those in Millipeds in Captivity. There are the photos of those @Harlequin found in Arkansas, but in person, the bands look more yellow-brown. Perhaps it is in part the lighting? I'll take a photo of the one I have when I can -- for now she's buried for another molt. :D

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Those are beautiful! :happy: Did you get them from BugsInCyberspace earlier this year?
No, Cape Cod Roaches. It was his last two and I am not sure if he can get more. Hope so!

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
No, Cape Cod Roaches. It was his last two and I am not sure if he can get more. Hope so!
Interesting! Do you happen to know where they came from? I got "pale Narceus americanus" from BiC earlier this year and they look much like your tans. I believe they can from Florida, perhaps further south than the usual range of N. americanus and the only morph I've seen -- if they are indeed N. americanus -- without red legs. In any case, they are beautiful millipedes and it would be lovely to get more and raise pedelings! :happy:

Narceus americanus pale female.JPG

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Interesting! Do you happen to know where they came from? I got "pale Narceus americanus" from BiC earlier this year and they look much like your tans. I believe they can from Florida, perhaps further south than the usual range of N. americanus and the only morph I've seen -- if they are indeed N. americanus -- without red legs. In any case, they are beautiful millipedes and it would be lovely to get more and raise pedelings! :happy:

View attachment 226274
I hope to learn these answers! Tomorrow I'll take more pics to compare them to the standard color form. In the one photo, I shot the darkest and lightest. I'll get a photo of some of the mid range colors. I bought those at a local herp show and likely won't be able to get more info. I haven't met any knowledgeable millipeeps locally.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I hope to learn these answers! Tomorrow I'll take more pics to compare them to the standard color form. In the one photo, I shot the darkest and lightest. I'll get a photo of some of the mid range colors. I bought those at a local herp show and likely won't be able to get more info. I haven't met any knowledgeable millipeeps locally.
Oh wow! I somehow missed your post with the different tan/brown color morphs -- gorgeous millipedes! :astonished:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Here is a close-up photo of my Tan N. americanus. The palest two (with a white telson) were sold as 'Tan'. The others were purchased at a reptile show from a vendor who called them Ivories. :embarrassed: I questioned that and they said they could get the name from their source, which they got as N. americanus. They are clearly some sort of brown form. @ErinM31 do these look like the brown ones in Orin's book? AGM Tans in lid.JPG

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Here is a close-up photo of my Tan N. americanus. The palest two (with a white telson) were sold as 'Tan'. The others were purchased at a reptile show from a vendor who called them Ivories. :embarrassed: I questioned that and they said they could get the name from their source, which they got as N. americanus. They are clearly some sort of brown form. @ErinM31 do these look like the brown ones in Orin's book? View attachment 226338
Lovely millipedes! :) Both the two you bought as 'tan' and those from the reptile show look to me like variations on what is being called the 'tan' or 'pale' color form of Narceus americanus. They are quite distinct from the previously known red and brown color forms as well as @Lucanus95's yellow-banded as all of those have a dark gray or even black base color with bands of red, brown or yellow around the end of each diploid segment and all have red legs. The brown ones in Orin's book looked much like the brown ones shown in this post. Quite different from the 'tans'!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Lovely millipedes! :) Both the two you bought as 'tan' and those from the reptile show look to me like variations on what is being called the 'tan' or 'pale' color form of Narceus americanus. They are quite distinct from the previously known red and brown color forms as well as @Lucanus95's yellow-banded as all of those have a dark gray or even black base color with bands of red, brown or yellow around the end of each diploid segment and all have red legs. The brown ones in Orin's book looked much like the brown ones shown in this post. Quite different from the 'tans'!
I have one of the darker phase that looks like those in Orin's book and the post you cited. The 2 original tans are a little different; much lighter. I think I will separate them and look for more of the brown phase. And if the original photo of this post is N. americanus, I will have to start a 5th enclosure! ;)

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I have one of the darker phase that looks like those in Orin's book and the post you cited. The 2 original tans are a little different; much lighter. I think I will separate them and look for more of the brown phase. And if the original photo of this post is N. americanus, I will have to start a 5th enclosure! ;)
Wow, awesome! You have quite a collection! :astonished: I hope you have enough to get pedelings of all the color morphs you find! :D