Yellow/Black Argiope eggsac???

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Hey all!!!

My little girl finally died :( I hate that so bad! She was very cool, and I guess it was just her time.

Anyway, I have her eggsac. And I read something about them hatching in the fall, and staying in the sac until spring?

The Misanthrope

Arachnopeon
Only if they're subjected to a cold environment, the only reason they stay in the sac is because of winter. If they are kept in a semi-warm environment they will venture out to look for food. So, if you keep it inside they will come out soon, if you dont want to deal with them yet, put the some where safe outside.

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Does this apply to all Argiope species? I have a female of an unidentified smaller species, not dead yet, but seems to be on her way - she glued an egg mass to the top of her container and the eggs are sooo tiny I just know I won't be able to feed the little ones, yet don't want to "murder" the sack. If I just put it out in my unheated garage until spring will they survive?

Gail

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Gail said:
Does this apply to all Argiope species? I have a female of an unidentified smaller species, not dead yet, but seems to be on her way - she glued an egg mass to the top of her container and the eggs are sooo tiny I just know I won't be able to feed the little ones, yet don't want to "murder" the sack. If I just put it out in my unheated garage until spring will they survive?

Gail
I took her sac and put it outside under my window. I am going to try to relocate it though, I just don't want something to eat them :( And I didn't want to murder her little babies either. Those black/yellow argiopes are hard to find around here :( I am sure you could put it under your garage??

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i think i have one of these sacks, can u post a pic please?

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
We have plenty of these sacs in my yard from field collecting the spiders in late summer including shamrock [a. quadratus] spiders and what we have found here in Michigan they hatch in the spring , it snows too early here to hatch in the fall and overwinter.
We found this out by opening up one or two in the winter , did this so my kids would see there are eggs in there and we don't want to break them...gotta start them out early

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
pandinus said:
i think i have one of these sacks, can u post a pic please?
I don't have a pic of it :(

But I can tell you it looks like a little brown paper sac. It is about 1" in dia.
Larger than a reg. house spider's sac. It is one of the largest I have ever seen, besides a tarantulas.

Good luck!