Yellow and Gold Scorpions?

maurus

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, new the the forum. Never had a scorp, but sure do know my stuff (researched them for years).

Does anyone know the gold and yellow scorpions that are in captivity and won't bee to hard to acquire in the US?

I'm a HUGE fan of Scorpio Maurus sp. (hence the name). But I've heard they don't live to longs and I havent't heard alot about their breeding. I want a scorpion that breeds fairly easy and lives a decent amount of time.

Anything similar to Scorpio Maurus. You probably won't see me on the Tarantula forums too often, as I'm just getting into them.

thanks! :D

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Could look into mesobuthis martensii, smaller desert species that can be kept decently densely communally, like 10 in a 10gal ish. Easy to breed, fun to watch.

cheeky

Arachnosquire
just go with the classic hadrurus arizonensis. they are easy, and they are yellow.:)

maurus

Arachnopeon
Those are decent, but I'm more into large chelicerae.

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

I like Opistophtalmus Glabifrons!

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Think he wants to breed em, real hard to breed Hadrurus.
The difficulty is in getting the brood to molt, not the actual pairing. They require specific humidity and conditions to molt, and its a bit difficult to do in captivity, as they tend to molt down deep in a burrow. In the wild, they can typically have burrows 10-25 feet deep, and use that to regulate the humidity they need.

This is not what we can supply them in the hobby, and thus, many specimens die due to poor care.

You can do a good search on how to replicate it in captivity. I've heard of even using a false bottom to get the lower levels of a 10 gallon to be quite moist to what they need.

If I'm missing anything please feel free to add. Just what I remember from a couple years ago.

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea, by breed I meant as a whole, pairing/birthing/first molt/not letting the mother eat the babies/etc.

M. martensii are waaaaay easier to have the process go through plus they are highly communal, think the sting is like a 2.5-3/5

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The difficulty is in getting the brood to molt, not the actual pairing. They require specific humidity and conditions to molt, and its a bit difficult to do in captivity, as they tend to molt down deep in a burrow. In the wild, they can typically have burrows 10-25 feet deep, and use that to regulate the humidity they need.

This is not what we can supply them in the hobby, and thus, many specimens die due to poor care.

You can do a good search on how to replicate it in captivity. I've heard of even using a false bottom to get the lower levels of a 10 gallon to be quite moist to what they need.

If I'm missing anything please feel free to add. Just what I remember from a couple years ago.
+1 on this. You are right on every mark of this species. I've had, MANY and i've had many die on me during molting. DEEP substrate, false bottom. leaned my lesson many times.

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
M. martensii are relatively easy to breed, especially in a community with good male to female ratio. They aren't quite desert scorps however. They do well with a bit more moisture than bone dry. A water bowl filled every night, and a bit of a damp spot in the corner suits them well.

The hard part will be finding quality specimens. They come from China and like most things made in China, aren't always the greatest quality. Best option would be to bide your time and wait for some slings if you can. Then you just have to successfully raise them for two years LOL!

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say Hottentotta trilineatus or even Hottentotta hottentotta. They are also communal, easy to breed and some sp are even confirmed parthenogenic. There are also the Smeringerus mesaensis, which have a wonderfully dreadful temperment, are extremely quick but I have not heard much about breeding these. Theres also Ophistothalmus sp. which I know aren't exactly yellow, but great little fellas none the less and stridulate when incessantly harassed. Ofcourse the Mesobuthus martensi as mentioned above. There is also the Androctonus aroreuxi and A australis, easy to keep easy to breed but potentially a huge hazard to your life. Or hey what about some more natives, like pretty much the whole Vaejovidae genus? I know they are smaller, but I REALLY like all of the ones I have ever had and breeding them is easy. Or perhaps you would prefer an arboreal yellow scorpion? There is the Tityus serrulatus which are also confirmed parthenogenic as well and super cool, but also could pose an eminent risk to your health and very painful! Or maybe the good Buthus leptochelys, so pale they sometimes look opaque. There are literally hundreds of yellow/yellowish scorpions in the trade it just depends on your personal preferrence and what you intend to accomplish with breeding them. Most of ones I mentioned are available pretty much all of the time in the US hobby, fairly inexpensive, and best of all you have a resource here to ask all of the questions you need to and get input from people all over the world. Some people here will resort to petty insults and the ever prevalent "why don't you use the search function" comment. But most of us are willing to help or atleast entertain you in some manner. Hope that helps