YARG! pointers??? please

red fury

Arachnopeon
ok so here goes, about a month and a half ago, i bought 3 Pandinus imperator, (2 female, 1 male) both females were gravid, one gave birth.

my question is how to separate her how as she gave birth in the communal tank ????.... so far not a lot have survived. (no exact count as of yet) to top things off, the 3 of them had a shared burrow which has since collapsed on the momma, only thing clearly visible is her pedilpaps, she's obviously alive as she tried to get me when i tried to "help" dig out the front of the collapse. the other two are just fine sharing another hide for the moment.

any info/tips would be great thanks

maqua

Arachnopeon
im still new to scorpion care myself but from what ive learned its best to leave the new mum alone as much as possable to avoid stressing her to much untill the new born climb off her back after there first molt, then seperate them from her.

As for the other 2 in the enclosure im not 100% sure but i belive the common thing to do is separate them from the new mum wich would mean finding them both tempary acomidation till the new born are separated, as trying to remove the mum would probably be a bit to stressfull for her now but saying that it sounds like she has evicted them from the main burrow anyway so removeing them may not be needed

look forward to hearing how many of the new born make it

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I'd remove the male and female and leave mamma in there with her babes for a while.

Less stress on her the better.

Find another set up for the two you remove. I've had communal setups with mamma and babies, and they've done fine growing up around her. Keep her well fed of course as they grow.

I've also seen a mamma emperor eat her babies for no apparent reason, not all of them, but some (this I saw shortly after their birth). Perhaps someone with way more extensive experience with communal setups and breedings can help answer your question with more certainty!

Best of luck with the new brood! :)

Xanthopus

Arachnoknight
Perhaps you could make a "barrier" by placing a plastic screen to block off the other 2 emps ftom the momma if u didnt want to take them out. Also i would follow those suggestions and just let her be, if stressed she may eat the babies. When she gives birth you can try feeding her to prevent the babies from geting eaten as i read they ate them when they are hungry.

All the best :).