Ya cant have good news without some bad

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey everyone guess what! I came home today and noticed my c mags a little different! Yep thats right! 3rd Instar! They are getting bigger!!! ANd I even noticed one eating an unusal looking cricket appendage... WAIT A MINUTE! Yea... one of my 2nd instars ate one of newly molted 3rd instars...<edit> mate!? So now I've decided to seperate the bunch and hope for the best. I still have 5, lets hope they do well :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Centruroides are known for eating newly molted specimens. :eek:

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm... I must have missed the meeting when they passed out that memo. I was told they are a very good communial scorp as long as plenty of food is their, and if I recall correctly... a group of 2 got one large cricket... :? :mad:

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When adults they do very well in a communal set-up. Its when they are younger and still have molts left that they dont do so well because the cage mates usually eat the freshly molted ones.

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sons of b's... by the way...any signs of that mo showing up? Haha I know its only been a day, i can hope cant i ? :}

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whelp to add to some more bad news and to CANCEL OUT ALL THE GOOD NEWS! one of the crickets i killed had some nervous system twitches and somehow crushed one of my 2nd instars... I am so frigin pissed, down to 4 and I think they are 2 males and 2 females....I think :(

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sure its not playing dead? And also its impossible to sex them at such a young age.

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I realize that, I am just going by the overall size of the scorpion thats all. Oh and yes, it was flattened..With juices gush`n.

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm just trying to picture in my minds eye a dead cricket having nervous twitches and killing a 2nd instar C.mag in a way that resembles squashing....and i can't see it..
Could it not have been the siblings instead?

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No it was smashed between a piece of bark and the side of the deli cup.

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow...a half dead crix can do tat :eek:
better change to roaches then...my gracilis takes on prey 2 times bigger then them...no problem.

My tityus took on a bigger one...its fun to see how fast the venom kicks in...

(FYI : I had the kickin legs...er...amputated first before they are thrown into the coloseum) :D Its unfair but, heck, life's not fair either {D

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I removed the head completely and then herd some clicking around, I went to go check and somehow he manage to press a piece of bark up against the wall of the enclosure, how a headless cricket had so much body control at the point is beyond me.

Canfire

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I heard in mantid vid that bugs can live without thier heads for some time. ofcourse in the mantid vid they are mating and the mantid eats the males head but they keep mating and he tries running away without a head