XO's 4hr SCORPION HUNT!

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey ppl, I spent four hours this morning (as soon as I got home from work) searching for scorpions around my house. I didn't have as great of success as I had hoped, but did successfully return with what appears to be a Vaejovis scorpion. The probability is high on V. carolinianus and is apparently a female. I'll be researching this species of scorpion through the Great Smokey Mountain Wildlife Research Society and will hopefully turn up more information as to whether it is indeed the species believed and in order to sex the specimen found and acquire all other information available on the scorpion. I also returned from my expedition around the house with a large number of stag beatles, spotted salamanders, centipedes and a huge number of baby and adult plated millipedes as well as a number of other species. Overall, I think I had a highly successful search and am sure that once the temps reach a higher range, I'll have much better success with finding scorpions in the area. It has been stated by a friend at work, who lives about thirty minutes south of myself, that he has seen a scorpion species which varies greatly in color (much lighter brown) and is much larger in size than the scorp I found today and he is going to attempt to find some for me. Accordingly, he stated his last run in with one was a mere two days ago at the threshold of his front door! It was also dispatched to the great arachnoheaven in the sky, compliments of a good sized stone, so there aren't too many hopes for that one adding to my current species list, but I'm sure I'll find more. If he is successful or not, I'll probably spend my next weekend around his location in search of more scorpions. I will, of course, be out and about the rest of the work week in search of more!!! HAHAHA!!!

adios,
edw. =D

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Ok...now we will not stand for any of this...when one finds a scorp hunting they MUST give us a pic to drool over.

John
];')

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
John,

You'll have to forgive him, I think. If I remember correctly he uses the same primitive "take real pictures, have them developed and then scan them" system that I do. No digicam. Which sucks ... I especially wanted to see the centipedes/millipedes.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well guys, I'm sorry. I did take quite a number of pics, including of the habitat they were living in, which was nothing more than a four foot tall stack of half rotted lumber. I did want the pics though, just to show the EXACT habitat they are native to. They seemed to like the hides it provided them all with, as well as the great deal of moisture under the 2x12s. Yes, I'm still in use of the old fashioned camera method, but what can I say, I love a good SLR! I do plan on purchasing a digital Canon cam in the near future, but as I said, the future. I may be able to stop by a friend's after work tomorrow AM to get them scanned to disc, if I can get the pics developed with enough time to do so. If not, I'll attempt to have something up by Sat. I may just bring home my multimeter tomorrow, hook up to the computer and diagnose the screwed scanner I have now. Then, me and Radio Shack will fix it.

adios,
edw. :D