Xenesthis?

BassCatPIV

Arachnosquire
I have Xenesthis immanis, Xenesthis intermedia and Xenesthis sp blue juvies. Love this genus. Something to keep in mind when you purchase is that they have extremely long legs until they get closer to adult sizes , and the carapace for a 2 inch sling is going to be smaller than what you would expect on say, a 2 inch Grammostola sp you'll have to keep that in mind on the enclosures air holes.
Speaking of air holes. Are these too big? I'm thinking I may have to cover them a little.

Attachments

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
I would, maybe a little hot glue action to make the holes smaller. Mine have never climbed in the 6 months I've had them but they could pretty easily get through those slots.

xenesthis sp blue.jpg xenesthis intermedia.jpg
In order Xenesthis sp blue , Xenesthis intermedia and Xenesthis immanis

Attachments

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
looks like that would work, both the immanis and sp blue I have spend a lot of time in the hide, both intermedia though made extensive burrows immediately

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
My intermedia could use a rehouse, and will get it soon but has a piece of cork bark and enough dirt to dig but just sits there like a great display spider.

All species differ from specimen to specimen but from reading different peoples spiders behavior, I think this genus varies GREATLY from specimen to specimen!

Also this one LOVES throwing up threat poses with its bald booty! Which is very different then most spiders! (Just lifts the abdomen as high as possible!)

Dont forget "blackfire" and "whitefire"..
Blackfire is actually just X. immanis. Almost every dealer/importer is aware and has made the switch already. 👍

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
My intermedia could use a rehouse, and will get it soon but has a piece of cork bark and enough dirt to dig but just sits there like a great display spider.

All species differ from specimen to specimen but from reading different peoples spiders behavior, I think this genus varies GREATLY from specimen to specimen!

Also this one LOVES throwing up threat poses with its bald booty! Which is very different then most spiders! (Just lifts the abdomen as high as possible!)
Both of my intermedia made long deep burrows, and even after molting won't come out lol

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
Kind of wonder if it's an age thing, that maybe the burrowing will change when they get older/bigger

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Kind of wonder if it's an age thing, that maybe the burrowing will change when they get older/bigger
Mine is a good 3" stretched out. Generally, the bigger NW terrestrials get the more "safe" they feel IME.

Tolyaba

Arachnopeon
Hey guys. How do you keep your x. sp. blue. I got mine for 3 weeks now and they seem to climb walls alot. Specialy at night. My first thought was that its too moist... i tried different levels of moist substrates up to completly dry.... and they stil climbing at night like arboreals. Every time i see them in their hide im happy that they calmed down but every night its the same story...

Attachments

BassCatPIV

Arachnosquire
Just picked up my Xenesthis sp white this morning! He's definitely bigger than what I expected. He's seems to have settled in so far. He dug a hole and is in his hide. I'll try and take some pictures when an opportunity presents itself. Btw to the post above... I'm by all means no expert but I think that your need to add a lot more substrate in your enclosure.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Hey guys. How do you keep your x. sp. blue. I got mine for 3 weeks now and they seem to climb walls alot. Specialy at night. My first thought was that its too moist... i tried different levels of moist substrates up to completly dry.... and they stil climbing at night like arboreals. Every time i see them in their hide im happy that they calmed down but every night its the same story...
They are almost as moisture dependant as it gets. Some even consider them "swamp dwellers" like Theraphosa. 3 months is nothing in spider time. Probably still settling in. You want moist substrate. Definitely nowhere near dry!

Tolyaba

Arachnopeon
Have you seen this nature footage?
Looks like rocky habitat nowhere near swamp.Now im confused.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Have you seen this nature footage?
Looks like rocky habitat nowhere near swamp.Now im confused.
Trying to replicate nature is tough in a plastic box IMO. I go with what has worked for owners/breeders/importers that owned the species before me when I figure out its care regimen.

Tolyaba

Arachnopeon
Guys i think i know the reason behind my X activity. It was too hot.
Cant do anything about it. It was crazy hot weather. They calmed down now. I would say dont go above 25C on them)

BassCatPIV

Arachnosquire
Btw.. just offered a dead cricket last night and it was gone in the morning!

Guys i think i know the reason behind my X activity. It was too hot.
Cant do anything about it. It was crazy hot weather. They calmed down now. I would say dont go above 25C on them)
That's why I don't keep my tarantulas in the same room as my lizard room. That room is hot and humid year round. It's currently 26C in that room right now.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Of all the genera out there, they produce the most gorgeous males I’ve seen.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Of all the genera out there, they produce the most gorgeous males I’ve seen.
Reason IDC what my juveniles next molt concludes AND why I haven't tried vent sexing it. Pricey but win win either way!:)

Its bald booty which very closely symbolizes the Wu-Tang Clan symbol has turned super dark. So with an undamaged exuvia I should know generally soon enough.