Xenesthis immanis Tank size and growth rate.

JW0405

Arachnopeon
So Intend to get one of this species soon however I’m having trouble finding these two pieces of info in my reaserch.

the first being what size tank will an adult need.
As I’m seeing every from 10 to 40 gallons and so I’m just trying to make sure I know what the ideal size for them is.

the second being growth rate as id just like an idea of how often I need to be prepared to upgrade. Much like above I’m seeing a lot of different info in regards to this.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You won't need to go any bigger than a 10 gallon, depending on the dimensions it'd probably even be fine in a 5 gallon.

Growth rate isn't that fast tbh, had my male for nearly 3 years and he's probably just under 6".

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So Intend to get one of this species soon however I’m having trouble finding these two pieces of info in my reaserch.

the first being what size tank will an adult need.
As I’m seeing every from 10 to 40 gallons and so I’m just trying to make sure I know what the ideal size for them is.

the second being growth rate as id just like an idea of how often I need to be prepared to upgrade. Much like above I’m seeing a lot of different info in regards to this.
I don’t recommend large setups to people who are new to keeping Ts. How much T experience do you have?

TheHound

Arachnoknight
I've been reading about this too. If one is to follow the 3x DLS rule for these giant species you will end up with a monster of a cage. A lot of people seem to recommend something about 2x DLS, i.e. something about 16 inches in length, for an adult Xenesthis.

I am about to buy a 7cm juvie Immanis and my plan right now is to start with a 30x20x10cm (12x7x3.9 inch) enclosure and rehouse once after a few moults to something like a 40x30x30cm (16x12x12) for adulthood.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
My X. sp white is in a 4x4 amac box because it was about 1.5 inches when I got it. It's now probably 2 inches or so but, let me tell you, it's going to outgrow it within the next two molts. They put on a lot of size with each molt, but don't go too big with their enclosure. You don't want a sling in it's adult enclosure, for example.

JW0405

Arachnopeon
I don’t recommend large setups to people who are new to keeping Ts. How much T experience do you have?
I’ve been keeping them about 2 years at this point:
I've been reading about this too. If one is to follow the 3x DLS rule for these giant species you will end up with a monster of a cage. A lot of people seem to recommend something about 2x DLS, i.e. something about 16 inches in length, for an adult Xenesthis.

I am about to buy a 7cm juvie Immanis and my plan right now is to start with a 30x20x10cm (12x7x3.9 inch) enclosure and rehouse once after a few moults to something like a 40x30x30cm (16x12x12) for adulthood.
so I guess a ten gallon tank would be ideal. Tho I might go with a 15 just to be safe when it’s an adult

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Many reasons why large setups aren’t good. Discussed frequently on AB

TheHound

Arachnoknight
That's basically the same same size as the enclosure below (5 gallon hobby life tub, that's an adult female genic in there)
Take your point and I hadn't finished deciding the final enclosure yet, which won't be needed imminently. One company I like has a 24x18x18 inch one, which may be more the way to go for adult size, then.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I've had mine for two years this month. It was a little under 2" and now it's at least 6". He started in a 4x4x6in and then moved to the small Kritter Keeper and I currently have it in an 8x8x14in (4gal) which is fine for him (her?) because he mostly stays in his burrow and doesn't seem to care that it's not super spacious. I had planned to move him to a 10x10x16 (7gal), but I had to put m A. genic in there because my T. albo refuses to die (2.5 years past ultimate molt) and give up his enclosure. I think the 10x10x16 will likely be his adult enclosure.
20211128_182221.jpg y

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I'm raising an immanis from a sling and I have an AF. They put on a lot of size with each molt but don't molt very often after hitting 1.5-2"

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Would you like to live cramped? That's what's happens with bigger species, they need bigger enclosures.

Usually they will stay most of the time in the same spot, but it doesn't mean that they won't use the extra space provided.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Take your point and I hadn't finished deciding the final enclosure yet, which won't be needed imminently. One company I like has a 24x18x18 inch one, which may be more the way to go for adult size, then.
This? 😂😂😂
IMG_20211118_141027.jpg

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Would you like to live cramped?
False equivalence. If you forced a human to live in a hole barely bigger than itself then their physical and mental health would deteriorate, a wild tarantula has all the space in the world yet chooses to live in a hole barely bigger than itself and thrives doing so.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
False equivalence. If you forced a human to live in a hole barely bigger than itself then their physical and mental health would deteriorate, a wild tarantula has all the space in the world yet chooses to live in a hole barely bigger than itself and thrives doing so.
Yeah, those are fossorials, a terrestrial can wander a nice distance and come back if they want, by experience. Also the size is another factor that can make a T act like a complete psycho if she feels trapped.

Privating them of space is our choice, the least we can do is to offer them a bit of that space. It doesn't mean that because they will stay most part of the day in the same spot, they won't use the rest. My choice was to offer them a "nice" space to wander, and to provide them different conditions, and they use them.

If you preffer to offer them a smaller enclosure because they "won't" use that space, is your choice. But do not choose a very specific type of T to prove your point, it's like me saying birds do not need wings because an ostrich can run.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Andrew Smith showed as early as 1995, in his documentary "North American Desert Tarantulas" that in the wild, even an Aphonopelma (chalcodes, I think) - your quintessential pet rock/pet hole - has an action radius of 2 meters when hunting. Fantastic footage of an Aphomopelma harvesting flying ants in the documentary. Well worth watching.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
What dimension enclosure would you both recommend for an adult X immanis?
Depending on your preferences and the collection size. I hate the collection word.

For me 3x dls is the minimum to offer them enough space and to be able to provide different spots with different conditions. Also depending on how do you setup this enclosure helps giving them a more usable area.

Mine are 60x40x40cm 24x16x16in and they still didn't reach their max size.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Depending on your preferences and the collection size. I hate the collection word.

For me 3x dls is the minimum to offer them enough space and to be able to provide different spots with different conditions. Also depending on how do you setup this enclosure helps giving them a more usable area.

Mine are 60x40x40cm 24x16x16in and they still didn't reach their max size.
Thanks for the response. My challenge is I will never go beyond about 10 Ts, and thus all mine are in "display" type enclosures, so finding decorative ones of the right size is a slightly more of a challenge. However, as mentioned I have found a nice 24x18x18 one. Slightly under 3x DLS but only a bit.

Do you think you will upsize from your 24x16x16?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Do you think you will upsize from your 24x16x16?
I don't think so, at least not in this house. Imho for the pulchra and geniculata I have right now, they are and are going to be big enough.

Imho 24x18x18 are going to be a bit overkill height wise. In case of going bigger, I'd go longer, not higher.

If you are a crafty guy, you can make your owns for pretty cheap. Right one was made by me after I broke one in a house move 😅, it was like 40bucks.

IMG_20200523_002020.jpg