X. immanis

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Approximately 2 yrs ago, me and Phil Redwine bought 4 X. immanis adult WC females, along with some adult WC female M. robustum, from Sam Marshall. First let me just say, this is in no way a slam on Sam, we both knew the risk, and Sam was very good to us.
Before I could get Phil his animals, one of my females died. In the last two years Phil told me of some problems with his females, he had them for a year or so, none had ever molted, and eventually he lost both of his, with no fault of Phil at all.
The last female, was not the prettiest, but was the largest, this was the one I kept.
After 2 yrs, and recently this female had refused food for several months, I wasn't sure if she was going to make it to a future molt, and I could see she was acting slightly lethargic, and since she had a bald spot, and it was still light colored, I feared the worst.
Two weeks ago, I opened her tank to look at her, and to my suprise, the bald spot was darkening!
Emediately I provided an intensive care unit (an icecream bucket his a screen top) for the spider, so I could get maximum humidity for this females 2yr+ exoskeleton. I really wanted this gal to make it through this very crutial molt.

After a couple weeks, upon returning from the Dixie Reptile Show Sat. 29th of March, she popped out of her old prison!
The following photos are of before and after the events.

Swifty

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
...Shes hardening!

Last edited:

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I guess it's wet in the first pic, but what are those couple of mite-looking things?

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Vys
I guess it's wet in the first pic, but what are those couple of mite-looking things?
Vys, hmmm, not sure were your looking? I dought a mite would make it past me. A very small amount of peatmoss dust did fall on top of her when I opened the container to photograph her, but she was too soft to disturb her to remove it, that might be what your seeing.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The...two things looking like pig-coloured lobster-eyes right where her eyes should be. Perhaps just wet coloured setae?

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Im glad shes ok. :) Are those water droplets on her in the first picture?

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Swifty
...Shes hardening!
Congratulations on a difficult achievement and a truly beautiful spider. I am fiercely envious of anyone who owns this species!

Joy

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Vys
The...two things looking like pig-coloured lobster-eyes right where her eyes should be. Perhaps just wet coloured setae?
Thats water droplets. I had just misted her.

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She looks bad in the first picture.... But looks better in the last one:)

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wonderful transformation!:D

Old to new!:D

Congratulations on a successful molt!!:D

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Damn Swifty, I love this genus! Obviously this isn't the female you had success with(many congrats on the "success"), do you have a male still? What future do you think this genus has in the hobby? Do you think they will prevail?

Thanks,
Steve

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Truely a great tail, Im very happy that she did not expire like the others did. Best of luck to you and congrats.

Sincerely,

Brandon

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Re: X. immanis

Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Damn Swifty, I love this genus! Obviously this isn't the female you had success with(many congrats on the "success"), do you have a male still? What future do you think this genus has in the hobby? Do you think they will prevail?

Thanks,
Steve
Hi Steve, no, I've got two C.B. adult females, one 3" C.B. female, two C.B. sub males(4"), and the one baby that was the only one to make it from the eggsac I had last year. Keep in mind, this is the only C.B. X. immanis, that has been produced by C.B. parents in the U.S. at this time. I believe its a little male. Check out "Solo" now...

P.S. If I have anything to do with it, yes, they will prevail!

Last edited:

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh wow!! She is beautfiul... Congratulations!

That is a great story..