wth why did it die?

orkimedies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my bolivian salmon sling died!

and i do not understand why, i kept it at optimal temperature and high humidity, it seemed very healthy, it ate every week and kept growing. it was more active than any other sling most of the time and had a very big appetite.

then one day out of the blue it is dead.

what could have caused this?

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sometimes these things do happen.

I'm sorry for your loss, but every now and then, these things just occur. Chances are, there was nothing you did specifically wrong. Maybe one of the bits of food you gave it was contaminated with something?

Tuotatis

Arachnopeon
Hi!

Maybe it was sick. Unfortunatelly virus or bacterium can kill tarntulas....

orkimedies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i fed it the same food i have been feeding all my other bugs and they are all healthy

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Opportunistic infection. If there really isn't anything different between the other tarantulas, then chalk it up to a random infection of some kind.

If that really is the case, I think it might be worthwhile separating the spiders... ensure that there is no chance of contamination.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how long was it curled up? If you get it into an ICU sometimes they can pull through, worth a shot if you still can.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
These things just happen. Could be a number of things. I wouldn't bother to separate the other spiders, etc.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You gotta figure out of hundreds of offspring, a few are just genetic dead ends and don't make it for one reason or another.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It just happens sometimes, it is nothing you did or didn't do. Some babies just don't make it, we call it "failure to thrive" or just SSDS (sudden sling death syndrome) It happens to everyone.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if it was kept very humid and without a very good ventilation, a fungal infection of the booklungs is often the cause of death in such a setup. the slings usually seem totally healthy until they just drop dead one day.