Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

WTH is this? ID please

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by azra3l, Nov 25, 2005.

1. azra3l

azra3l Arachnosquire Old Timer

Advertisement
    [​IMG]

i just found this crawling up the wall in my house. i thinking its some kind of laptrodectus (spelling?) but as far as i know there are none native to teh UK and especially not in central london.

it also has creamy white spots under its abdomen. gravid?

ive got him ina salsa jar atm. if it turns out to be somethign interesting (or even if not, its a pretty cool looking spider) ill bung it a baby crikcet sometime soon see how it likes it.

any ideas to its ID (even just a vague species ID would be much appreciated

Thanks. Az

2. danread

danread Arachnoprince Old Timer

UK
    It's not a Latrodectus sp. It's more likely to be a Steatoda sp.

Cheers,

3. I agree with danread it is not a latrodectus, it looks like a steatoda of some sort to me to. Possibly a S.bipunctata. Pretty spider though:D

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  4. NRF

NRF Arachnoknight Old Timer

Not S. bipunctata. It has slightly dorsoventrally flattened abdomen. The shape is more like S. grossa but the colour is a bit odd. Is it Steatoda at all? Could you get a photo from above?

5. azra3l

yeah 1 sec

6. azra3l

[​IMG]

here is the best top down shot i could get. it wasnt too happy being rotated around on its web for a picture. if its no good ill try again when it calms down.

is this a native uk species? recon it could take down a half inch cricket? its teh only prey i have atm

7. NRF

Sorry, I did not read your message, only looked at the photo. It´s an adult femme and of the British species it can only be S. grossa (or perhaps the rarer S. nobilis of which I have no personal experience). If it has a good web i will eat anything anysize. Very easy to rear and fun to watch capturing prey.

8. NRF

Ah, and it nor S. nobilis are native to Britain, but at least S. grossa has established populations. If you get a photo from above, please send it as well (if you put the spider on the floor you will get a photo).

9. azra3l

if i put the spider onteh floor the cat will eat it :D

thanks for the info ill try and get a cricket inteh jar a bit later see how it takes it.

edit: http://www.essexfieldclub.org.uk/form_steatoda_nobilis.htm if this pictur is right its not a nobilis. its far too oramge/brown for to be the spider shown on this page.

i think we have a winner. S.Grossa going by the picture on this factsheet http://www.usq.edu.au/spider/find/spiders/337.htm

any preferences for humidity/habitiat? i know buggwer all abot true spiders, but this one is too nice to release i think.

ok back to square one. http://mamba.bio.uci.edu/~pjbryant/biodiv/spiders/Steatoda grossa.htm it looks nothing like the pic here lol

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  10. danread

danread Arachnoprince Old Timer

UK
    That's a mature male in that link. The females look a lot like the specimen you have. Their colour can vary a lot, so i've seen S. grossa in the UK that are a lot darker, almost black.

Cheers,

11. azra3l

ive seen picks of male widows. i guess i should have put 2 and 2 together lol

12. NRF

Males are usually coloured like on the photo. Some females are too. I don´t know about the colour variation of S. nobilis but the abdomen seem to be slightly flattened as in S. bipunctata.

S. grossa survives in relatively dry conditions if it gets enough food. Anyway it will drink from water droplets if put in its web or directly to its mouth by a syringe. In Finland it is found in both dry cellars and in moist greenhouses.

13. azra3l

OMFG

it just made an eggsac.

anyone in the london area want it otherwise its going in the freezer soon. i cant deal with 100+ of these.

edited to add pic

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.