Wrong male bred

chizwhiz15

Arachnopeon
I have a question about my p miranda. My friend sent me a wrong poecilotheria male and I already paired them successfully. Luckily after 2 months my female molted.
Q: Is their a bit of chance that the female will retain the sperm deposited by the wrong male?
Because I'm planning to breed it again with the correct male.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Mostly no. Usually when a female molts, the sperm usually goes with the molt. But there is a small chance that sperm can be retain as there was a thread that someone's Poecilotheria female retained sperm from an older pairing.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +

I was about to tag @Liquifin on this,Read this thread,also.

chizwhiz15

Arachnopeon
Mostly no. Usually when a female molts, the sperm usually goes with the molt. But there is a small chance that sperm can be retain as there was a thread that someone's Poecilotheria female retained sperm from an older pairing.
Very rare case?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
If it drops a sac before next pairing or on an accelerated time frame as in too soon for laying the new sac, if it was mine in those cases I’d cull the sac in the freezer.

chizwhiz15

Arachnopeon
Yes. It's a very rare case, but I think it'll be fine to pair them since you have the right species and the female is freshly molted out from the previous incorrect male species..
Thank you. What a relief 😊

If it drops a sac before next pairing or on an accelerated time frame as in too soon for laying the new sac, if it was mine in those cases I’d cull the sac in the freezer.
Like how much time? It's like 2 months now since she molted.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
They had proof that’s how the female was able to produce a sac or could it of been a parthogenic birth?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Like how much time? It's like 2 months now since she molted.
Was it already paired again after it molted out of the hybrid pairing or still waiting to?. I meant like if it drops a sac before it was paired again correctly you know it’s not the sac you want. Or if you paired it and then it dropped a sac, way too early, these are just hypotheticals cause it’s rare, I woykd just be on alert to not have a hybrid sac messing up the hobby.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have a question about my p miranda. My friend sent me a wrong poecilotheria male and I already paired them successfully. Luckily after 2 months my female molted.
Q: Is their a bit of chance that the female will retain the sperm deposited by the wrong male?
You shouldn’t be breeding if you don’t know how to Identify the species your pairing. Do more research and tackle breeding in 3-4 years we don’t need uneducated people creating more mutts.

chizwhiz15

Arachnopeon
Was it already paired again after it molted out of the hybrid pairing or still waiting to?. I meant like if it drops a sac before it was paired again correctly you know it’s not the sac you want. Or if you paired it and then it dropped a sac, way too early, these are just hypotheticals cause it’s rare, I woykd just be on alert to not have a hybrid sac messing up the hobby.
Nope. I didn't paired them yet with the correct male.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Making hybrids?

MattjediEdmonds

Arachnosquire
My P. fasciata made lots of babies after molting.
I hope the pet tarantula world doesn't become like the pet snake world and have ugly hybrids everywhere. Yuck.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
What do you mean by snake hybrids? Do you mean subspecies were mixed? I’ve had many reptiles and haven’t heard of any hybrids in the hobby other than blood ball pythons, lepracadas, and retic ball pythons. There are rat snake hybrids but those aren’t offered often. And, I don’t see the problem with reptiles as long as the snakes origins and what species were used to produce it were labeled and recorded. It’s not the same as the invertebrate hobby. I always have pure bred snakes and turtles but if an expert like snake discovery produces a couple, I don’t see a problem with it.

Last edited:

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
You shouldn’t be breeding if you don’t know how to Identify the species your pairing. Do more research and tackle breeding in 3-4 years we don’t need uneducated people creating more mutts.
I mean, yeah, but mistakes DO happen, and it sounds to me like OP is trying to make the responsible choice and avoid a cross-bred clutch if one happens.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I mean, yeah, but mistakes DO happen, and it sounds to me like OP is trying to make the responsible choice and avoid a cross-bred clutch if one happens.
No there’s no room for error with a specie that can’t be imported any longer. Whatever hybrids people create is what we are stuck with. This species is more of an advanced species now more than ever.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
My friend sent me a wrong poecilotheria male and I already paired them successfully.
IMO,one of the biggest issues with the Poecilotheria genus is the similarity between species,especially with newer enthusiasts/breeders.
The hanumavilasumica/miranda/regalis group can be confusing even for expert arachnologists.
This is one problem we ran into when arguing against the ban on Sri Lankan pokies across state lines,(Lacey Act).The USFW were not convinced we,as Taranutla keepers,
new what we were doing,as far as the ability to bred pure form pokies.
And I don't think,unfortunately ,we could say differently.Does anyone outside the Indian subcontinent ,really able to guarantee ,that Formosa is really a pure form animal?.
I for one don't think I need to beat up on the OP for his error.
I agree,breeding pokies,should be a very precise and careful endeavor.As @14pokies pointed out,they are no longer being imported,but also most are ,or will become endangered in the wild.
Im now off my soapbox.Thanks for humoring me:zipit:.