Wrong Info On Site?

marclar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
http://www.calpoison.org/public/spiders.html

I was going trough google looking for what time of year I can find jumping spiders(?), and came across that link, this info didn't sound true to me , about the jumping spider and wolf spider, ill quote some stuff for you.

site said:
The jumping spider is probably the most common biting spider in the United States. People are caught by surprise and scared when they see the spider jump, especially if it jumps towards them. Bites from a jumping spider are painful, itchy and cause redness and significant swelling. Other symptoms may include painful muscles and joints, headache, fever, chills, nausea and vomiting. The symptoms usually last about 1-4 days
Now, I thought jumping spiders are too small to bite ? correct me if i'm wrong?

Here is what they had to say about wolfies

site said:
Wolf spiders are commonly found in California. They are large hairy spiders, up to 3-4 inches across. They are a mottled gray-brown color, which helps them hide in sand, gravel, leaves and other debris. Female wolf spiders carry their young on their backs. Except for one group, wolf spiders do not spin webs. They tend to burrow into the earth and hide. They are aggressive, come after their prey and are fast runners. Because of their impressive size and aggressiveness, wolf spiders can easily incite panic.

Bites from a wolf spider can cause pain, redness and swelling. The large jaws/fangs can cause a tear in the skin as they bite. Swollen lymph glands may develop. The skin area at the bite may turn black. Swelling and pain can last up to ten days.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Spiderpharm has this to say about P. johnsoni:

"This species may bite when disturbed and in defense of its retreat and egg sac. Typically, there is an immediate sharp pain at the bite site, which dissipates rapidly. In some cases, the pain may extend from the bite site and there may be inflammation with persistent pain, which last a few days."

-from: http://spiderpharm.com/venoms/spider/salticidae/phidippus_johnsoni.htm

--which is nowhere near what the calpoison site described.