wow this scorpion is cool!!!

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Without knowing anything about this scorpion, it could possibly be for food/water storage, sexual selection between sexes, sexual competition within sexes, or a defensive structure.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as much as i would love to have one, all of them are WC and no breeding reports/successful ones have been done, so wait a few years. they arent a common sp. either.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what would be the use for the increase in the width of that one tail segment? Why would that be different from other scorpions?
Not even the esoteric Scorpion Dave knows that.

Could just be something that came about for no reason.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just a wild guess here...

But this species lives on the arabian peninsula. Arabia consists of mostly sand, with a little more sand thrown in for good measure. THere are also shifting sand dunes. My GUESS is that is has something to do with either not sinking into the sand, or burrowing into it. However, that is just a guess. Another guess is that we will find out the truth sooner than later. :) r

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe it needs some extra help scooping and moving the ever shifting sand.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lots of great ideas as to why it may be that way. Guess it would need to be observed using it to really know why it's there or how it's used!

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, I can shoot my idea down now. I should have known this. I've read this page many times before, yet again, my brain fails me. :)

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/eycb/scorpions/FApisthobuthusPterygocercus.htm

Usually, Apistobuthus pterygocercus does not dig but often hides under stones, pieces of wood or various refuses. Thus, some flat stones (eg. slates) should be placed in the terrarium, and the substrate should be slightly pre-dug under them.

Interesting, I thought that there was only one Apistobuthus species. My brain is fired!

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1636/H08-44.1?cookieSet=1&journalCode=arac

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The Scorpion Fauna of Al-Baha and Hail Regions, Saudi Arabia

Abdulrahman Al-Asmari, K., A. Abdulaziz Al-Saief, M. Nasreddien Abdo and R. Khalaf Al-Moutaery, 2009. The scorpion fauna of al-baha and hail regions, Saudi Arabia. J. Biol. Sci., 9: 96-108.

http://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=jbs.2009.96.108&org=11

This is an additional contribution to the comprehensive study of the scorpion sting syndrome in Saudi Arabia, which was collected from two regions (Al-Baha and Hail). It deals with identification of the existing and newly discovered species and their medical importance. The survey covered the major sites of Al-Baha, (Al-Queed, Al-Qura, Al-Mandig, Al-Makhwaa, Galwaa, Al-Baha and Baljurashy) and Hail, (Hail city, Baqaa, Al-Shenan, Al-Ghazala). There were 2421 specimens collected from Al-Baha Region. There were 1281 (52.9%) specimens Scorpio maurus fuscus belonged to Scorpionidae, in addition to the family Diplocentridae (Abolished and changed to Scorpionidae, recently), which was represented by the species Nebo hierichonticus (38, 1.58%). Four species of scorpions that belonged to the Buthidae family were Leiurus quinquestriatus (1052, 43.5%), Compsobuthus werneri (23, 0.95%), Orthochirus innesi (11, 0.46%) and Vachoniolus minipectinibus (16, 0.66%). A total of 1921 specimens were collected from Hail Region, The most common subspecies from this region that belonged to the family Scorpionidae was Scorpio maurus kruglovi (1522, 79.23%). The next common species was Androctonus crassicauda (120, 6.25%) Androctonus bicolor (180, 9.37%, Leiurus quinquestriatus (18, 0.94%), Buthacus leptochelys (35, 1.82%), Compsobuthus werneri (37, 1.93%), Orthochirus innesi (4, 0.21%) and Apistobuthus pterygocercus (5, 0.26%) all belonging to the family Buthidae. Androctonus crassicauda and Leiurus quinquestriatus, which are highly venomous, are endemic in Hail and Al-Baha regions, respectively, in addition to the newly recorded species of Androctonus bicolor for the first time in Hail region, without previous records in Saudi Arabia. Further studies are warranted to identify more scorpion species in these regions.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
A good number of similar features in different taxa are used for blocking the entrance to burrows etc. I imagine mating significance would be a secondary consideration .. an existing adaptation co-opted.

That is just my guess, though, as to what is likely. I have nothing to back it up. One could also point out the strength of sexual selection characteristics in other species and propose that that is likely to be the stronger basis of selection. I would counter that scorpion selection seems largely based on chemical and mechanical stimuli and that appearance/features have not been shown to play a roll beyond overall size. Please someone correct me if a paper has been put out on this subject.

Cheers,
Dave

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, lots of great information and pictures!:worship:
thanks everyone for sharing!

I would not mind having one of those, or at least seeing one in person!!!