wow this scorpion is cool!!!

TheScorpionLord

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I saw this scorpions scientific name and finally be able to look for it lol anyways
If anybody knows the Apistobuthus pterygocercus" please by all means comment or PM me

whats sad is that i had a pic of this particular scorpion on myspace for years lol I thought it was just the unique specimen

anyways thanx yall and Have an awesome new year, REACH YOUR GOALS!!!!! lol
Tim

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello,
I heard of a pair sold a year or two ago here in California.
Nice scorpions indeed.

francisco

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Too bad that species is very hard to keep alive in captivity. They live only a couple of months to over a half year, from what I have heard.
This is probably due to a combination of specific captive conditionds and dietary needs, I presume.
But with that broad 2nd metasomal segment, it is a cool looking species :D

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Too bad that species is very hard to keep alive in captivity. They live only a couple of months to over a half year, from what I have heard.
This is probably due to a combination of specific captive conditionds and dietary needs, I presume.
Michiel, I was avoiding mentioning that so as to let the dreamers dream after seeing the pix on Scorpion Fauna but, oh well. Yep, to my knowledge this species is not floating around in captivity.

Francisco, I don't know who brought them in but they're amongst the dead now or we'd still be hearing about it.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm surprised no one's brought a few back in their bags from one of our bases. Otherwise, the only way I can think of would be a local hobbyist making something happen. I will go just about anywhere. I only have about 10 countries, maybe 15 if I did some research, that I won't go to. S.A. and Yemen are both on that list right now. I won't spend the money demanded of westerners in the UAE. That leaves Oman. I don't know enough about Oman. But I feel like in a large swathes of that region, between my lack of faith, and my American origin, would make scorpions about the least exciting thing that would happen to me if I went there. Do we have any muslim hobbyists? I would find it hard to believe that somehow, we couldn't get a handful breeding in someone's hands.

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm surprised no one's brought a few back in their bags from one of our bases.
You can't even bring sand back that got inside your boots by accident. They are really stringent with soldiers coming and going because smuggling is apparently a problem amongst our servicemen and women. I had a friend that was a Sargent down there describe the hoops he had to jump through to come home.

Do we have any muslim hobbyists?
I have a couple Muslim friends in the hobby, not in the U.S. though.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can't even bring sand back that got inside your boots by accident. They are really stringent with soldiers coming and going because smuggling is apparently a problem amongst our servicemen and women. I had a friend that was a Sargent down there describe the hoops he had to jump through to come home.
I have a couple Muslim friends in the hobby, not in the U.S. though.
Go figure. I feel bad for our soldiers an awful lot. They sure do get shafted. Although I guess you don't want them to bring back opium or something. But, dang, you think they would have some discretion between the two.

Now it would have to be monitored, and have numbers kept low, but I can't imagine there being too many troops who would do it even if they thought they could.

But, who knows, maybe I am wrong. Well, if anyone has better connections than me, and can get all the applicable permits, I would be more than happy to go to Kuwait or Oman and collect. I would consider other countries if offered "a known to good standing AB members", local guide. Otherwise... I'm at a loss.

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, if anyone has better connections than me, and can get all the applicable permits, I would be more than happy to go to Kuwait or Oman and collect. I would consider other countries if offered "a known to good standing AB members", local guide. Otherwise... I'm at a loss.
Oddly enough, Iraq opened it's doors last year and it was front page news out here that Americans were "vacationing" in Iraq. Who, from the western world, would want to vacation in the middle east with all the nonsense that's going on is beyond me. Perhaps they have alterior motives not mentioned in the paper.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would consider countries free from civil war. There is a lot of crazy stuff going on right now, sure. But if you use some common sense, and go to countries/regions free from guerillas and terrorist or whatever it is you want to call them. Oman is fairly peaceful and safe I believe, at least parts. Kuwait the same. There's lots of the middle east where the people don't care if you aren't bombing them. But there are places not quit as pleasant. I would go into rural Kurdistan through Turkey. I wouldn't spend much time in the cities though. No big outdoor gatherings. That kind of thing. But I am pretty sure there are neighborhoods more dangerous for me in Los Angeles or Miami than a rural town in Kurdistan. Dubai is plenty safe for westerners who realize and act like they are in a fundamentalist muslim country where you don't have freedom of speech, nor freedom to insult your host. Iranian people love Americans, but their secret police could use you as a political pawn if there is an international tiff, claim you weren't looking for scorpions, but trying to spy on nuclear plants. So it's hit and miss over there. YOu have to know what's going on, read the news a lot, and decide if you think you can pull it off. Some places sound scary and are not. And then some are just utter nightmares. And you don't want to be there. You just have to know the difference. But I am sure you know that ras. Some people though, obviously, don't have enough sense not to "wander" into iran. lol. I'd at least ask permission if I am going there!

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
But I am sure you know that ras.
I'm thinking more about the range of the OP species. I've lived in neighborhoods where police don't have the balls to go to and have done some training including US FM 31-21, so I don't care where I go, my only concern would be taking a bullet from someone far enough away for me to not see them.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
a bit about the scorp from The Scorpion Fauna:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/eycb/scorpions/FApisthobuthusPterygocercus.htm

crazy looking tail lol
That link above says oman, kuwait, uae, I guess I threw Iran in there. I interjected it because I want a Hemi in my tongs someday. Heck, if I have to wait too many more decades, I just might use my hand. I always said I wanted to go jumping out of a plane, but now I think I want to be in desert or jungle somewhere playing with venom. Many decades from now of course. :) I'm just getting started. But I'm going to Iran someday...

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Hmm, I went to Iraq and didn't get inspected at all either on the way there or on the way back (not that I was carrying anything I shouldn't have been). With the ten bags I had I probably could have brought back a few hundred scorpions :barf: (sorry, this smiley is new and I think it's hilarious).

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what would be the use for the increase in the width of that one tail segment? Why would that be different from other scorpions?