Wow, scary one!

Elleken

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wasn't there just a post about how someone wanted to go out and find these? I did a quick search (i suggest doing it) and found that they are an endangered species in the U.S. If the spider in that picture is Sphodros rufipes (which it seems to be) google brings up quite a bit of information on them.

Elleken

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OMG why ? would anyone want one of these?
Same reason anyone wants to keep anything. They find it interesting or pretty or any number of reasons why people keep the things they do. Personally I think it looks amazing and if it weren't endangered and were local to me I'd think about keeping it. Just my opinion though.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the only "problems" these have is they might be protected though out their range and only mature males have those bright colored legs. females and immatures are all black

australia's equivalent is the red-headed mouse spider :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nellylela/388626643/

wouldn't it be sweet to mix the two together?

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Yes they are protected in some parts of the range....Up here in Michigan I only find S. niger

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wait

i live in wisconsion we have these things here where can i find them!!!!! pm me!@!!

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmmm...

It's really too bad they don't give specimens to breeders that would just love to bring up their population using the techniques they've learned with raising other spiders. I think a few hobbyists here would take up the responsibility.

Radamanthys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For the record, i just wanted info on the spider, i don't want to breed or raise it.