1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Wow, scary one!

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by Radamanthys, May 1, 2009.

1. OMG why ? would anyone want one of these?

2. Elleken

Elleken Arachnoknight

CNY
    Wasn't there just a post about how someone wanted to go out and find these? I did a quick search (i suggest doing it) and found that they are an endangered species in the U.S. If the spider in that picture is Sphodros rufipes (which it seems to be) google brings up quite a bit of information on them.

3. Elleken

Elleken Arachnoknight

CNY
    Same reason anyone wants to keep anything. They find it interesting or pretty or any number of reasons why people keep the things they do. Personally I think it looks amazing and if it weren't endangered and were local to me I'd think about keeping it. Just my opinion though.

4. GiantVinegaroon

GiantVinegaroon Arachnoprince

Are you suggesting you don't like it?

5. cacoseraph

cacoseraph ArachnoGod Old Timer

the only "problems" these have is they might be protected though out their range and only mature males have those bright colored legs. females and immatures are all black

australia's equivalent is the red-headed mouse spider :)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nellylela/388626643/

wouldn't it be sweet to mix the two together?

6. John Apple

John Apple Just a guy Old Timer

Yes they are protected in some parts of the range....Up here in Michigan I only find S. niger

7. I've never seen S. niger! Where are you finding them?

8. endoflove

endoflove Arachnoknight Old Timer

wait

i live in wisconsion we have these things here where can i find them!!!!! pm me!@!!

9. Hmmm...

It's really too bad they don't give specimens to breeders that would just love to bring up their population using the techniques they've learned with raising other spiders. I think a few hobbyists here would take up the responsibility.

10. For the record, i just wanted info on the spider, i don't want to breed or raise it.

11. ThrashPie

ThrashPie Arachnopeon

Spotted this Yellow Garden Spider in my front yard.
    It was about 1 1/2" long with the body being about 1/2 - 3/4" long.
    The color was green, brown, and black.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.