WOW! Apparently I missed this?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
so just found out Cithariscius crawshayi has had its name changed to Pelinobius muticus...

I guess a few more got changed too?:? Anyone have an official paper on this?

following is a post from another forum:

Originally Posted by Richard Gallon
Gallon, R. C. 2010. On some Southern African Harpactirinae, with notes on the eumenophorines Pelinobius muticus Karsch, 1885 and Monocentropella Strand, 1907 (Araneae, Theraphosidae). Bull. Br. arachnol. Soc., 15 (2): 29-48.

Summary
The taxonomy of five species of Southern African Harpactirinae and two species of Eumenophorinae from East and West Africa is addressed. Two new species of Harpactirinae are proposed: Harpactirella overdijki sp. n. and Idiothele mira sp. n. Idiothele nigrofulva (Pocock, 1898 ) is redescribed from its types and fresh topotypic material. The previously unknown male of the harpactirine Ceratogyrus paulseni Gallon, 2005 is described. Ceratogyrus ezendami Gallon, 2001 is transferred to the genus Augacephalus and diagnosed from its two congeners Augacephalus breyeri (Hewitt, 1919) and A. junodi (Simon, 1904). The eumenophorine genus Pelinobius Karsch, 1885 is revalidated and proposed as a senior synonym of Citharischius Pocock, 1900. Phoneyusa gregori Pocock, 1897, Phoneyusa bettoni Pocock, 1898, Citharischius crawshayi Pocock, 1900 and Phoneyusa rufa Berland, 1914 are treated as junior synonyms of Pelinobius muticus Karsch, 1885. The monotypic genus Monocentropella Strand, 1907 is treated here as a junior synonym of Eumenophorus Pocock, 1897.

The PDF of this paper will be available for download from this site as soon as I receive it. I only have the paper version at the moment.

Repercussions for hobbyists: Citharischius crawshayi is now called Pelinobius muticus Karsch, 1885. Ceratogyrus ezendami is now called Augacephalus ezendami (same spider as Augacephalus sp. Mozambique). Idiothele sp. Blue Foot is now called Idiothele mira.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
It's a scientific paper abstract... it appears this one is simply a taxonomy update. Good info to know though, C. crawshayi has been in the hobby forever... looking forward to the PDF when you find it Cody. :)

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
From research, it seems this should be coming out soon. I take it some are actually displeased with the change.

Im sure Zoltan knows more on this subject as I see as of 6-12-10 he posted a picture in the genus Cithariscius and labeled it a senior synonym of Cithariscius crawshayi....not sure what that is all about. Maybe he can shed some light on this before I go relabeling my girl.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
The paper's been public for a few weeks. Yes, Citharischius crawshayi is called Pelinobius muticus now. Here's the story in short:

1885. - Karsch describes the genus Pelinobius and the species Pelinobius muticus.
1897. - Pocock describes the species Phoneyusa gregori.
1898. - Pocock describes the species Phoneyusa bettoni.
1900. - Pocock describes the genus Citharischius and the species Citharischius crawshayi.
1914. - Berland describes the species Phoneyusa rufa.
1985. - Raven says: the genus Pelinobius is a junior synonym of the genus Phoneyusa (Pelinobius muticus becomes Phoneyusa mutica).
2010. - Gallon says: Citharischius crawshayi, Phoneyusa bettoni, Phoneyusa gregori and Phoneyusa rufa are synonymous (same species), but this species is not a member of the genus Phoneyusa, i.e. it gets "removed" from Phoneyusa. Since both Citharischius and Pelinobius are monotypic genera (has only 1 species), the two genera are synonymous as well. The Principle of Priority states that the valid name of a taxon is the oldest name applied to it (aka "the oldest fool is always right") and as you can see above, Pelinobius is the oldest name, and muticus is the oldest specific name. Lo and behold, the valid name is Pelinobius muticus.

Edit: forgot to mention that I have this article. PM me your e-mail address if you want it...

Last edited:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok...back to label making..

Thanks for clearing that up.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
I should label mine soon as well all these name changes confuse me lol.