Would you want one of these?

Would you want a dog-size tarantula that has all the natures of dogs?

• I would love to get one of those. When can I find some?

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • No way dude. They are freaks of nature and should be exterminated.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • What's a tarantula?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What happenned to who now?

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just imagine that some miracle happens and someone is able to genetically engineer a new species of tarantula that has the following new characteristics:

-grow as big as an adult dalmation
-as smart as a dog
-responses to petting the same as a dog would
-just like dogs, the new T's want to please their masters
-have some primitive emotions like dogs
-likes to go for walks like dogs
-respond to vocal commands, if trained

practially, just imagine a dog inside a tarantula's body that is the size of a big-medium dog.

Would you want one? Let me be the first to answer this one. I would very much love to have a pet like that.

pauls

Arachnopeon
That would be uber cool, but it would come with problems as well. What if you come across one of these tarantulas that hasn't been treated well? IF provoked, or if it's just plain mean it could attack and very well kill a human. What would you feed it? Kittens from the local pound? Bad things aside, I would like to have one...so long as it doesn't eat me :)

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ok, I'll add in another new characteristic. These new tarantulas are all vegetarians.

Roger

Arachnopeon
no cuz a t the size if a dog would leave a nice mark...the it would web up the whole house so yur livin in a giant burrow...

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
After reading your post, I was imaging taking my doggie tarantulas for a walk.. yeah it would be awesome..
Hey Lam, a while ago I was day dreaming about how maybe in the future someone would design a micro chip and attach it outside or inside to the brain of the tarantulas.. oh yeah... do they have brain...? anyways, when the chip is in place you're able to control your tarantulas with a remote control.... yeah... crazy idea, huh!?? :) oh well...

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I guess I would want one.

Nothing with urticating hairs, though.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
why i voted NO:
i think tarantulas are fine the way they are and i dont really like dogs. plus, the amount of venom that they could insert in a single bite would be terrible and urticating hairs would probably be the size of toothpicks and could do serious damage.

in my defense:
while i wouldnt say 'they should be exterminated,' i wouldnt want one myself... but there wasnt an option that just said 'no.'

kellygirl

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think they would be extremely cool. If they have the temperament of a dog, that implies that they could be trained to kill like a dog. I think a dog-sized tarantula would be able to protect our home better than an actual dog.

And they could be used as soldiers whenever we fight a war of attrition. Tarantulas grow faster than humans, so we could build up our armies really quickly. They could lose limbs and still go on fighting.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ok, more new characteristics. No urticating hair and no venom. If you haven't noticed by now, I'm trying to design a perfect tarantula pet for the future. Anymore input?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Why wouldn't I just get a dog then? What you describe isn't a spider but some mutant dog critter in a modified arachnid's body. Sorry, but I don't picture myself wanting to curl up in bed with a giant spider regardless of personality.

I like tarantulas because I like spiders, not because I want fuzzy, warm pets - that's what my dog and ferrets are for.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
Ok, more new characteristics. No urticating hair and no venom. If you haven't noticed by now, I'm trying to design a perfect tarantula pet for the future. Anymore input?
how could you possibly design a 'perfect' tarantula when the definition of a 'perfect' tarantula is different for different people? i personally love docile, colorful tarantulas while other people prefer more aggressive tempermant and subtle colors. and roger made a good point. imagine the space you would need to house a tarantula that size! you would go broke feeding them too. sorry, i cant get down with your dream lam. why mess with a good thing?

kellygirl

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think I'll design a dog the size of a tarantula with every characteristic of a tarantula just for you, M_C.

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
all i would want one for is the amazing web hammocks in my house!

human sized funnel webs!

oh... i guess i would want it like an Avicularia species!

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If there would be a species without venom and urticating bristles which would be as smart as a dog and above all a vegetarian. I'm sure there is nothing left from a taratula except from the 8 legs.
I would not like to have such a thing somewhere...
I'm content with the ts we have.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Absolutely, but it would have to be big enough for me to ride on. And just think, you can just have it make you a hammock if you want to take a nap and there's nowhere to lie down. :D

Scott

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Gotta have one

Just think of it!
Be a great way to get rid of that neighborhood cat that keeps spraying my car! Here kitty-kitty.
(Note: This is no way intended to indicate that I am a cat hater. I have a cat that is wonderful (15 years old), but the one that keeps spraying my car has got to go.)
I'd probably feed mine large rats, as I seriously hate mice and rats.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Imagine an arboreal version. The white sprays across your wall.

"What's that?"

"Oh...er...uh, I'm an artist in my spare time, it's how I express myself."

Cowshark

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have to say no too, cuz tarantulas are perfect as they are. But I do think it would be cool to have a dog-sized orb weaver spider. That way, it'd be a lot easier to get their silk for use in things like body armor 'n' at. The only thing I'd like is if t's liked being petted, cuz they're so dang cute.:D

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would love to have a tarantula the size of a dalmation, but not with the attitude and behavior of a dalmation. I had a dream once that I owned a T. blondi that big that basically lived free-range in the house and it had an attitude. I obviously wouldn't want one that huge that tried to kill me every time I walked past it, but something like my biggest T. blondi, or the lividum I handle every now and then, that has some grump to it and isn't domesticated, but has gotten used to me to an extent, would be cool.

Adrian