Would you rescue it from the LPS?

Sabotag3

Arachnopeon
I saw a red phase rosie in a LPS, she was being sold for $25. Looked like an adult, huge butt stocky body, but unsexed. She is housed on some odd straw looking substrate and her water dish has a very MOLDY sponge in it. This is the same pet store that strictly feeds their juvie T. Stirmi small live mice... :/

My girlfriend will kill me as i just got a bunch of Ts at a reptile show but its a shame what conditions the T is in right now.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Yeah well if you buy it, they'll probably get another to replace it and they'll treat it the same way. Sometimes literally keeping in in the exact same setup.

Plus, in the bad setup that it's in, you've no idea how healthy this animal is.

I say leave it be.

Spiderdan24

Arachnopeon
Seems crule to leave it but i agree with hobo. I would come home with a new T every week if i brought the 1s in my lps that wer being kept wrong. Sad but true :(

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
yea i would leave it to bc i rescued a lividum and it lived just long enough for me to get attached then it died so ur just settin yourself for heartbreak.

Imbrium

Arachnopeon
Buying T's to save them from bad conditions just encourages the store to get more. They might even order more T's next time. I don't even buy supplies from pet stores that keep animals in poor conditions, let alone the animals themselves.

Speedy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
While, yes, you would help THAT T, it's like buying puppies from a bad breeder or a pet store puppy mill dogs to save them, they will just replace them and keep selling, because by doing that you support their puppy (or tarantula) section and keep it going.. I just avoid pet shops like that now if I can help it...

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Buying T's to save them from bad conditions just encourages the store to get more. They might even order more T's next time. I don't even buy supplies from pet stores that keep animals in poor conditions, let alone the animals themselves.
^^^ what they said. Only buy it if it is a really good deal and you actually want it.

kevin88

Arachnopeon
I agree with all of the above. But perhaps you should try talking to them on how the T should be set up. Like it was already stated just buying it to save it will only cause them to get more. Education can go a long way....

Kevin

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
i live by a strict Buddhist motto,"only give away what you can afford to lose". buy if you got the heart and $ to spare. otherwise, just keep it in your thoughts and hope a very heavy baby grand piano falls on the store owner's head :)

murinuskeeper

Arachnopeon
Sad but true, a lot of pet stores don't house Ts properly, and they'll just get another one in, and treat it the same way. I agree you don't know if it might die soon after getting it, from the bad conditions.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Sad but true, a lot of pet stores don't house Ts properly, and they'll just get another one in, and treat it the same way. I agree you don't know if it might die soon after getting it, from the bad conditions.
agreed, my LPS specializes in retiles and other exotics and still cant keep a T properly. They had an H lividum in an enclosure that had 1in of dry subsrate. Or the sling containers are lacking the proper moisture

KoffinKat138

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would just rescue it, 25.00 isnt bad for a red rose hair.True it will probably be replaced but what ever comes into the petshop will probably be getting better care than where it came from. So why not make the T's day.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would just rescue it, 25.00 isnt bad for a red rose hair.True it will probably be replaced but what ever comes into the petshop will probably be getting better care than where it came from. So why not make the T's day.
For all the reasons listed before your post.

I agree with Hobo et al.

Speedy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In the short term, for one animal, it will make a difference.. But what will make the BIG difference is if people STOP 'rescuing' or buying T's (or ANY pets and supplies!) from pet stores who neglect their animals out of pure laziness. And yes, ignorance is laziness because all they need to do is open one of their T books in the store and find out the basic needs.. If people stop showing support for their neglect, and start taking a stand it will get better, there will be change. Not by paying them to keep doing it..

A very nasty LPS here just closed, they sold disgustingly over priced 'designer dogs'(mutts) from puppy mills, their herps were kept in atrocious ways, their fish... ugh their fish.. you could smell the death and sickness when you walked in. People caught on and stopped buying their sick animals, and they were shut down for one reason or another.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The real solution here is to try and engage the pet shop and educate them on proper care. I did this with an LPS here and had fantastic results. In a few months they went from selling dehydrated WC imported rosies and H. lividums to having a properly cared for selection of CB slings and juvies from genera Pamphobeteus, Avicularia (not jus A. avic) Poecilotheria, etc. I also made a few bucks building "hobby cube" enclosure and selling to the pet store. I was in there on my own time helping with rehousings and feedings too.

Unfortunately that place went under once Petsmart came to town but for a short while we had a pet store with a proper tarantula selection. The town probably gained a few tarantula collectors in the process and I picked up some nice T's on the cheap.